Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 22:05

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 211/181/142
BF:
Progress: 43%
Talking I could really use some buddy support!

I've lost 55 pounds on the PPP. I gained a lot of weigth when I had my son last year. I still have 38 more pounds to go and they seem to be harder to get off. I could really use a buddy to keep honest! Shirley
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 05:57
Champagne Paulie

Plan: My Fitness Pal
Stats: 156.2/123.8/120 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:Got some, thanks
Progress: 90%
Smile

Hi Shirley

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your weight loss so far. I would love to buddy-up with you to share any highs and lows. I started Atkins 3 weeks ago and am steadily losing weight, although you always want to lose it quicker than it comes off don't you?

Hope to speak to you again soon.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 11:25

BF:

Hi! Have you ever been on a LC diet before? I lost 25 pounds on PPP four years ago. I went off the plan too quickly and gained it all back! My problem has always been maintenance. How about you?

Shirley
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 11:37
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Hi ya'll!

I'd like to suggest to both of you to start a journal where you can record your thoughts, menus, carb counts, weight, etc. It's a great way to keep checking on each other and make new friends along the way! If you have a journal, people have a place to go when they'd like to offer you support and encouragement.

I'm always available to help with any input you might want or need... feel free to post in my journal or PM me at any time, OK?

Best of luck to both of you!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 09:42
Champagne Paulie

Thumbs up

Hi Shirey & Teri ,

Shirley, this is my first time low carbing. Prior to this I have always gone down the "Low fat eating is good for you" road . I lost 34 lbs at W W which I was delighted about. At the time I was going to the gym regularly so when I started to increase my food intake the extra pounds didn't really show. Gradually I started going less and less, I was put on Prozac at the beginning of the year and my weight has steadily risen . I have lost 11 lbs since starting Atkins and will try to get to the gym next week when I am on my days off. Come to think of it, it's my birthday on Monday and I may slip a little so next week would probably be a good time to go back .

Teri, I have taken your advice and started a journal. I'm still trying to get to grips with fitday.com , but it will all become clear in time. I feel I should keep an eye on my calorie intake. Am I right in thinking that ideally your calorie intake should be about 10 times your weight in pounds?

Speak soon.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 18:38

BF:
Talking

Hi Pauline and Teri,

I really should keep a food log and a journal. I guess I'll start today. I don't have a gym membership anymore, but I have a great workout video. Now I need the time and energy to do it!
What kind of a routine do you follow at the gym?

Shirley

#7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 04:04
Champagne Paulie

Smile

Hi Shirley ,

How are you doing? I am planning to go to the gym tomorrow for the first time in months, so it will be a hard slog .

I usually warm up by walking for 10 mins on the treadmill on a varying incline. From there I go on the cross-trainer. I think I'll be starting at 10 mins again. When I was fit last year I was doing 30 mins a session, but that would probably kill me now . I then move to the weight machines and do the seated row, shoulder press and pec deck. Then time for more cardio and 15 mins on the bike (will probably cut this down to 10 mins for time being). From there it's on to the abdominable curls, finishing off with leg curls, leg presses and inner thigh exercises. Hey it's got my tired just looking at it .

They also have a swimming pool at our gym, so I might attempt a few lengths sometime this week. Not too sure about getting into the bathing suit though .

I have a few step aerobic videos. I used to really enjoy the one that Cher did. No chance of me doing any of that at home at present though. We are in the middle of home improvements and the house is in turmoil.

Let me know how you get on.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 19:52

BF:
Talking

So far I'm doing well. I'm staying on my eating plan. Now I just need to get going with the exercise. I'm trying to decide what time of day is the best time for me to work out. I used to go early in the morning. Now I can barely drag my butt out! My baby still gets up during the night. I really wish he would sleep all night long. How did your first workout go? Are you very sore?

Shirley
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 07:30
Champagne Paulie

Smile

Hi Shirley,

I am actually replying to this from the gym! They have installed an internet cafe here since my last visit.

I have been for my workout - honest . Actually it didn't go too badly, I may not be able to move later but we'll see. I did a 10 min warm-up on the treadmill, only managed 7 mins on the cross trainer as my legs just wouldn't take any more (pathetic really), I did the pec deck, shoulder press, seated row, lat pull down, etc which were OK, I also did the leg curl and the other leg thing which I can't remember the name of . I'm feeling quite self-righteous at present.

With regard to finding a right time to exercise, it's whatever suits you best. If you are really tired in the morning, try an afternoon. I did read somewhere that if you really don't want to go to the gym, you should go anyway and promise yourself that you'll stay a minimum of 20 mins. If you are still feeling lethargic after the 20 mins you can go. Studies show though that most people feel much better and tend to go on and finish their workout.

I'm off for some food now. Keep up the good work.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 11:17

BF:

Bravo! Are you still feeling self righteous today? I hope you aren't too sore. I'm going to try exercising in the evening so my hubby can watch the baby. I'm flying home for Thanksgiving and I want to get myself in better shape before I see my family again. In years past I was always in good shape. I worked out everyday. Being overweight stinks! I want to wear my clothes again. I need to stay positive and rememeber how far I've come already. Keep up the good work! Shirley
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 08:47
Champagne Paulie

Smile

Hi Shirley,

I'm a little stiff, especially my shoulders, but then I did do quite a lot of upper body weights. I can certainly feel what I did on the pec deck! I thought that I would be a lot worse than I am, unless I'll suffer from delayed reaction tomorrow.

This time last year, I was working out nearly every day I wasn't working. Sometimes I would do two classes a day and then go in the gym and do some weights. In January I got depressed and went on Prozac. It is a catcjh twenty two situation. You feel depressed and can't be bothered to do any exercise, so your weight goes up and you feel more depressed. Also, it didn't help that the Prozac made me gain more weight! Still I've made a start now, so hopefully I'll kee it up . Derek and I are going to go to the gym tonight. Because I wasn't going, he stopped going and gradually he's put weight on too. He has lost over 14 lbs on Atkins and is now looking to tone up and improve his fitness again. I'm looking forward to starting step aerobics again once I get a bit fitter.

Have a good workout at the gym tonight. Let me know how you get on. If you want you can stop by my journal (Paulie's journal) in the M-Q section. Speak soon.