Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 00:32
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%
Default Margaret River Chocolate Company - sugar free chocolate bar

Does anybody know about The Margaret River Chocolate Company's sugar free chocolate? It's made with malitol (41.6%) and has a carb count of 50.3g for a 100g block. Does that make it okay? When it comes to sugar alcohols etc. I just can't get my head around the math. I thought sugar free meant 'no carbs'. Sorry for my ignorance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 04:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 253.8/238/165 Female 178cm
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi Zedgirl

Chocloate - yummmmmm

I was under the impression that the Margaret River Chocolate Factory got a lot of its chocolate from Cadbury. You may find that Cadbury has exactly the same thing - just a little cheaper and more accessible.

With the carbs and sugar - my understanding is that sugar is a form a carbohydrate. So whilst something may not contain sugar it may well still have carbs from other sources. Anyone else please correct me if this is not right.

Something else a little novel is that you can make your own chocolate using Splenda instead of either icing sugar or sugar. I did try this once!

Hope this helps!

Leanne
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 01:32
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

Hi Leanne

As far as I know, when the Margaret River Chocolate Company first opened, demand was so great they had to source their chocolate from other retailers. I don't think that is the case now though. I think you're right about all the carbs in their chocolate coming from the other ingredients.
As a matter of interest what do you (and other Aussies) use when a recipe calls for unsweetend baking chocolate?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 01:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 68/?/60 Female 173cm
BF:
Progress:

hi girls!

if the chocolate contains malitol doesn't that mean it's an alcohol sugar and therefore doesn't affect insulin??

I don't think we have that chocolate in melbourne, I just get cadbury lite or darrel lea zero carb chocolate. do u have that in WA?

I haven't used any unsweetened choc for cooking yet but was wondering about maybe cocoa powder, cream & splenda?

I'm only new to this so haven't really done any experimenting.

have a good evening,
cathie
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 02:04

Stats: 202/182/175
BF:
Progress: 74%

I am on the verge of some experimenting myself.
Havent taken the plunge and bought any splenda yet....have been trying to avoid any sweeteners during the first 2 weeks. But now on the second 2 weeks i did catch myself looking wistfully at the box of cocoa while doing my last shop. The exact idea i had was blending it into some whipped cream. Only problem is i just know i will chow down the entire carton of cream if i do

Cheers
Jason
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 04:44
Registered Member

Stats: 253.8/238/165 Female 178cm
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi Everyone

I tried a recipe for chocolate using cocoa, copha, cream and splenda and it didn't work at all!!! It was terrible but worth a try. I found that the copha and cream would not mix. I think the Caburys is the go. On of the other low carbers mentioned today that Diabetes Australia usually have heaps of products on their shelves with no carbs.

Another good sweet is making pavlova with Splenda instead of sugar. The main pavlova is egg whites and top this with cream and strawberries - yummy!

Leanne
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 04:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 68/?/60 Female 173cm
BF:
Progress:
Default do you have a recipe for pavlova?

hey leanne,

I've always wondered how copha would work..reminds me of chocolate crackles what's the carb count on copha?

have you ever tried a mock pav? do you have a recipe you could share, sounds yum.

thanks, have a good evening,
cathie