Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 20:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Angry Fatty Breakfast Study

Yes... but what about big, fatty breakfasts with no carbs?

Quote:
NUTRITION
Study nixes big, fatty breakfast
BY JANE E. ALLEN
LOS ANGELES TIMES

May 4, 2004

Within an hour of eating a large high-fat, high-carbohydrate breakfast, the body starts making inflammatory chemicals associated with clogged arteries, a new study has found. These inflammatory factors stay high for three to four hours, and that's when many people sit down to another meal.

"This kind of eating probably keeps the average American in an inflammatory state all day. Thank God he sleeps at night," said Dr. Paresh Dandona, the study's senior author. This nearly continuous state of inflammation, he said, helps explain why obese people are at higher risk of heart attacks and strokes.

Dandona, chief of endocrinology at the University at Buffalo, and several colleagues studied nine normal- weight adults who fasted overnight before eating a McDonald's Egg McMuffin, a Sausage McMuffin and two servings of hash-brown potatoes. (That meal came in at 910 calories, with 81 grams of carbohydrates, 51 grams of fat and 32 grams of protein.) Dandona said many people regularly consume even less healthful meals.

The nine breakfast eaters were compared with eight normal-weight adults, each of whom was given a 10-ounce glass of water after an overnight fast. Researchers tested participants' blood before they ate or drank anything and then one, two and three hours afterward. The calorie-laden breakfast increased levels of free radicals, C-reactive protein and nuclear factor- kappa B, a protein that triggers the release of inflammatory chemicals.

"This substantiates what scientists have been saying all along: Don't overeat," said Cathy Kapica, director of global nutrition for McDonald's Corp. in Oak Brook, Ill. Results of the latest study appear in the April issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

The Los Angeles Times is a Tribune Co. newspaper.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 20:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/215/190 Female 5'8"
BF:t/o/omuch
Progress: 67%

Nancy, I wondered the same thing! Seems like fat gets blamed for a lot of ills. . .
Carlene
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 23:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/194/130 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

At least they did include "high carbohydrate" in their verbage in the article. However, I wonder how many people will actually notice that and just pick up on the "high-fat" part.

From what I understand it's the combo of the high fat and high carbs that's causing health problems, not just the high fat content standing alone.

Bring on the bacon and eggs! LOL! Toss the toast!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 12:24

Plan: generic low carb now
Stats: 210/212/145 Female 63
BF:plenty
Progress: -3%

TWO McD's sausage muffins and two hashbrowns? YECH! I wouldn't just have nasty inflamatory things going on inside, I would be laying down ill!

But they just compared this to a glass of water? Compare it to just eggs and sausage, and fruit and granola, and cereal and milk, or ? ... to get a comparison that really tells people something.

Are they afraid to admit its the high carbs+high fat are the culprit? Duh! (answering my own question)
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 08:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 164/146.0/135 Female 64 in
BF:38.5/31/20
Progress: 62%

As a science teacher I find it shocking that a University scientist would not realize that this study is filled with uncontrolled variables. The meal appears to have too much fat, too much carb, and too many calories for one sitting. Which of these things caused the results???

A valid experiment would need to have several groups eating the same number of calories, but different amounts of fat and carb to determine if it is the calories, the fat, or the carb causing the trouble... Even a 9th grader can figure this one out.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 08:35

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

This is typical of just about every study I've seen. They test something by comparing two states only. And it's obvious that you can't get an accurate picture that way. They also are looking for a single magic bullet. I don't think there's one out there. It's all related. And it's about finding the combination that works for you.

And sometimes I wonder if they even understand basic physiology -- let alone how to run an unbiased study.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 10:21

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

This article has been posted and discusssed here

Have you SEEN what is in a McMuffin and Hashbrown.

Quote:
Hashbrowns Potatoes, a blend of partially hydrogenated beef tallow and cottonseed oil, corn starch, salt, corn flour, dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (added to preserve natural colour), spices and cooked in A/V shortening (beef fat and cottonseed oil, monoglyceride citrate, propyl gallate, propylene glycol).

Quote:
Egg McMuffin
Canadian Bacon Pork, water, salt, sugar, sodium phosphate, dextrose, carrageenan, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite, smoke.
Processed Cheese Cheese (modified milk ingredients, bacterial culture, salt, microbial enzyme, calcium chloride and may contain colour and/or lipase), water, butter or whey butter, sodium phosphate and/or sodium citrate, salt, sorbic acid, natural colour (beta-carotene) and may contain citric acid, carboxymethyl cellulose, starch and/or soy lecithin, sodium bicarbonate.
Egg Canada Grade A Large. Cooked on a grill lightly seasoned with cooking spray (Partially hydrogenated soybean oil, lecithin, artificial flavour, beta carotene, TBHQ, citric acid).
English Muffin Enriched wheat flour, water, yeast, corn flour, glucose-fructose, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (canola and/or soybean and/or cottonseed), cornmeal, salt, wheat gluten, calcium propionate, calcium sulphate, monocalcium phosphate and may contain the following in various proportions: white vinegar, baking powder (sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium bicarbonate), potassium sorbate, soy mono and digylcerides, ammonium chloride, ammonium phosphate, calcium peroxide, sodium-stearoyl-2-lactylate, sorbic acid, fumaric acid, calcium carbonate, protease enzymes.
Margarine Liquid and hydrogenated canola and cottonseed oil, water, salt, whey powder, sorbitan tristearate, soy lecithin, soy mono and diglycerides, sodium benzoate, potassium carbonate, artificial butter flavour, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D3, coloured with beta-carotene.

Yeah and you are telling me that the inflammatory response is entirely due to fats.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 13:41
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttc#2
As a science teacher I find it shocking that a University scientist would not realize that this study is filled with uncontrolled variables. The meal appears to have too much fat, too much carb, and too many calories for one sitting. Which of these things caused the results???

A valid experiment would need to have several groups eating the same number of calories, but different amounts of fat and carb to determine if it is the calories, the fat, or the carb causing the trouble... Even a 9th grader can figure this one out.

My thoughts exactly.

There are so many uncontrolled variables in that study (total calories were high, fat and carbs were high, processed carbs and processed fat was high, or it might have been chemical additives in mcdonalds food too) to blame the results on high fat in general is ridiculous.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 14:15

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

You'd have to have an experiement where 4 groups of people ate different things. One group fat, one group protein, one group carbs and the last (control) just water. The food would all have to be unprocessed and have no additives. Even then it would be difficult because let's say you pick olive oil as your fat. Would the effect be the same with butter, or a poly-insaturated oil. If you pick egg whites as your protein, you can't eliminate compounds natural to egg whites. And so forth and so on

The best compromise would be to have, beside a control, a high fat low-carb meal (eggs, meat (not bacon, it's too processed), a high carb, "classical" breakfast (cereal, low-fat milk and a banana) and maybe throw in a mixed McD meal. The results of that would be much more interesting.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 14:40

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Yeah and you are telling me that the inflammatory response is entirely due to fats.

Well...given that there seems to be a pretty hefty amount of hydrogenated fat in those items, it just might be. Hydrogenated oils are listed in the ingredients for the hash browns, the grill spray, the english muffin and the "butter flavor spread" (read margarine) they spread the english muffins with.
But of course, the scientists are more likely to point their fingers at the sausage (the only item in that list that doesn't have a hydrogenated fat in it).

Moral of the story? Eat your eggs and sausage at home; it's cheaper and you know what they were fried in.