Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 09:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 148/140/125
BF:
Progress: 35%
Unhappy pregnancy and maintenance phase

Okay, I know that in pregnancy the maintenance phase is the ONLY phase that is safe. I know that I need to keep above 60 grams a day to be safe for the little precious fetus growing inside. My problem/question is that I have never been successful at switching over to the maintenance phase before. I always go wild and really OFF THE WAGON! How can I avoid or deal with cravings you get once the hunger returns? I do not want to take the supplements for cravings incase it might harm the baby. Any suggestions for will power or any help from those that have done it before me?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 15:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/210/160
BF:WAYTOOHIGH
Progress: 9%
Default Preggo and maintenance

Try going to Atkinscenter.com and ask them there- they have an email there and will be able to answer.
Hope this helps and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 16:57
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I did e-mail the Atkins center when I was pregnant and all they did was quote the book at me. "The induction phase of Atkins is inappropriate for pregnant or nursing mothers." I was asking about maintenace levels of carbs if you didn't know your number.

My advice is to take it one day at a time and do as best as you can. If you happen to carb out one day, don't let it turn into a week. Also, you may need to put it on hold for a while. When I had morning sickness I couldn't even think about cooking eggs and bacon.

Don't worry about losing weight, try to gain only what you need to for the baby etc. and if it goes over a little be thankful you don't go over a lot. If you go over a lot be thankful you didn't go over a ton.

If you're going to worry too much about it, just try to eat healthy foods instead of junk if you're not going to low carb. Avoid margarine and aspertame. Eat healthy fats, meats, cheeses, eggs, veggies, fruits if you can handle it and drink lots of water.

My baby is two months old now and we're both happy and healthy. Even if I did gain too much, at least I didn't gain a ton!

Elihnig
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 06:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 148/140/125
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default thank you elihnig!

I agreed with the things you said about the site on Atkins and the book. Not much help at all. Thank you for your words of your experience. I know it's the most wonderful thing, and I don't worry about loosing weight right now. I just want to gain 20-30 pounds instead of the 55 pounds I gained with #1.
Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
Lori
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 16:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/210/160
BF:WAYTOOHIGH
Progress: 9%
Unhappy Sorry I thought they would be helpful...

Hi again. When I read the Atkins book I was pregnant with my second child and I asked them about it and they said that if I wanted to stay on an LC diet that I should do the maintenance level instead of OWL or induction- they were very helpful to me which is why I suggested it. I did do that and I only gained 18 lbs with that pregnancy and still gave birth to a very healthy 8lb2oz little girl. Anway I am sorry they weren't helpful. I hope you don't worry to much about your weight while being pregnant, just try not to go overboard with the carbs or sweets and you will be fine. Your body is working really hard right now and you should be able to give in sometimes to your cravings just try to keep a healthy balance.- I was really neauseated throughout both of my pregnancies so if I ever REALLY craved something, I went for it!
Again, congratulations to you and I wish you the best!