Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 15:51
Registered Member

Plan: south beach
Stats: 105/105/93 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Question for Mrs. Fitzy Or Anyone Who Might KnowRegarding Yogurt --- HELP

I am a newbie but discovered an updated food list for Phase One on msfrogspad.com. It lists Plain or sugar-free low-fat or fat-free yogurt
Fat-free half & half

Anyway, I went out and bought the plain fat free yogurt the other day without even realizing it had sugar. I ate four ounces or so of it with some yummy flavorings for a snack. Did I really mess up? I only have ten pounds to lose, so I really have to be careful. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 15:58

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

Sugar in the ingredient list or sugar grams listed under carbs? All yogurt will have sugar grams due to lactose, but all of the plain yogurt I've seen does not contain added sugars.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 16:06
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Cool Reply To Paris Regarding my question on Yogurt

The sugar grams are listed under carbs. The sugar content seemed high 16 grams and 19 carbs, BUT there is no sugar in the list of ingredients.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 07:24

Plan: Slim in 6
Stats: 232/????/162 Female 5'7"
BF:too much :-)
Progress: 74%

Hi SuziQ,

It sounds like you are fine eating what you bought. I am amazed at how many sugars are in some yogurts but I just go for the lowest I can find.Eat it and enjoy!

Thanks for sharing the info on msfrogpad.I never heard of it but I'll check it out.Are the additions SB authorized?

Have a great SB day,
Linda
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 11:06

Plan: South Beach(Phase III)
Stats: 235/187/190 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 107%

This is from a newsletter that is sent out every day from the Official SBD site. In order to use the site you have to sign up and pay $$...but...if you enter your info and stop before ordering you get the emailed newsletter every day.

Anyway...today's contained this info about yogurt....

Ever wonder why you can't find sugar-free yogurt at the grocery store? That's because it doesn't exist. Yogurt contains a natural, low-glycemic sugar called lactose. But if yogurt contains sugar, when is it OK to eat yogurt on The South Beach Diet™?

Thanks to recent research pertaining to calcium's role in weight loss, Dr. Agatston has updated the diet to include yogurt in every phase. Not all yogurts are created equal, so follow these Phase-by-Phase guidelines for yogurt consumption:

During Phase 1, limit yourself to fat-free plain yogurt. Avoid any sweetened yogurts, even those with artificial sweeteners, but feel free to flavor your yogurt as you would a ricotta crème. During Phases 2 and 3, you may also introduce artificially sweetened, nonfat flavored yogurt. To identify yogurt that's been artificially sweetened, look for the words "light" or "lite" on the label. Limit to 4 ounces daily.

Last edited by pstar : Wed, Feb-25-04 at 13:33.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 15:33
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default Response To Lawoman

You asked if the updates on thehttp://www.mizfrogspad.com/south_beach_diet.htm are official. Here is the exerpt from there:

"South Beach Diet Official Updates

December 2003 update: The SBD companion book, Good Fats Good Carbs Guide, was released this month. Low fat and fat-free milk and yogurt are now listed in the Phase 1 Foods to Enjoy list. I have some recipes here in the Phase 2 categories because they contain low fat/nonfat milk or yogurt. I'll move these to Phase 1 as I have the time. In the meantime, if you see something in Phase 2 because of these dairy products, know that it's now okay to use them in Phase 1 also.

January 20, 2004: Updates from the South Beach Diet Online's The Daily Dish.
The South Beach Diet (SBD) continues to evolve as new nutritional studies and information come out. Recently, the results of new studies have shown that some of the "foods to avoid" may not be as bad for us as the original studies on glycemic index demonstrated. There are also some new, exciting studies about the role calcium plays in weight loss. The end result is that you can continue to enjoy all of the foods recommended for the SBD—as well as adding back in a few of your favorites! Here are the major changes:

Milk

Old Version:

Avoid all dairy in Phase 1, except for less than 2 tablespoons fat-free half & half, nonfat milk, 1 percent milk, or soy milk allowed with coffee.

New Version:
Phase 1: Now includes low-fat milk (fat-free and 1 percent), soy milk, and yogurt (low-fat or fat-free plain or vanilla light/lite only) on the Phase 1 "foods to enjoy" list.

Phase 2: May add light/lite fruited yogurt as a "food to enjoy" in Phase 2. Note: Since the SBD is still low in saturated fat, high-fat whole milk products will remain on the "foods to avoid" lists for all Phases.

Tomatoes

Old Version: Limited to one whole tomato or 10 cherry tomatoes per meal in all Phases.

New Version: Not limited in any Phase.

Onions

Old Version: Limited to ½ per day in all Phases.

New Version: Not limited in any Phase.
Carrots

Old Version:
Avoid carrots in Phase 1 and 2; allowed in moderation in Phase 3.

New Version:
Allowed, starting in Phase 2."
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 17:03

Thanks so much pstar and suzieq...that was very helpful.I'm happy that we have these forums to share what we find be it changes or things that work for us.

Have a great weekend,
Linda
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 08:00

mizfrogspad is a wonderful site with lots of SB recipes.Everyone should visit there! Thanks again SuzieQ!

Have a great weekend,
Linda