Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 14:23

Plan: My Own/Atkins
Stats: 500/364/225 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Do U need Keto Strips if you test your blood

Just a question, when I started low carbing I bought keto strips to test my urine but soon thought that was silly since I'm diabetic and can do a blood test with my monitor that would tell me if I'm doing ok.
Since then I have lost weight and don't use the KS and wonder if anyone else feels the same way.
mine never turned purple really.
Nibby
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 15:47

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I don't use them, either. The ketone test strips are from the days when diabetics didn't have home blood glucose montiors and had to rely on testing their urine to see if they were spilling glucose or ketones.
It's easy to forget that home blood glucose monitors have only been widely available to diabetics for the past 25 years or so.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 16:22

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 245/210/190
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Ketostix

Ketostix help me stay on my low carb diet. If you are on Bernstein's diet you are almost certainly in ketosis. Sitting around the house all day plus 30 carbs and I might only show a trace. But a half hour walk with a day of 30 carbs will show at least moderate on the stick.

Bust the diet with pie and coffee at the restaurant on Grocery day and the stick says negative for that day but is back the next day.

Do Pizza for lunch and pie and coffee both on grocery day and it is negative for that day and the next, but back into ketosis on the third day.

But thats for me, every one is different. Oh, and I am not diabetic, but my cat is. She is on low carb too.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 19:00

Plan: My Own/Atkins
Stats: 500/364/225 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Sorry I guess I didn't sound very clear. I have a monitor and its all I use to check my blood sugars which have been very very good for the most part since low carbing. I know alot of people use the sticks that are not diabetic to see how they are doing on thier LCing diet but I wondered if a diabetic that already has a good way to keep track of thier blood sugars with a monitor would even need the sticks to see how the LCing was affecting them.
I don't use them and didn't find them all that helpful to me.
Nibby
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 19:54
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%

hi Nibby,

Other LC programs such as Protein Power do not require testing for ketones. And folks lose weight just fine

In "Diabetes Solution", Dr. Bernstein does recommend that diabetics keep a supply of individually foil-wrapped ketone test sticks on hand (the foil-wrapped sticks have a long shelf life because they're not exposed to air or moisture. Very expensive though!). These are for emergencies such as during illness or an infection. At these times, blood sugars can go out of control and get very high. The presence of ketones in the urine along with high blood sugars is a sign of diabetic ketoacidosis, and requires a trip to the nearest emergency room, pronto.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 22:18

Plan: low carb
Stats: 370/180/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 86%

doreen,this doesnt pertain to this post about keto stix,but i just wanted too tell you that since i started the new WOE and this forum that everything thing i have read from you has been so informative and helpful too me,i havent told you that and i just wanted you too know,,thx alot Tammy

p.s. i am not diabetic,but i relied on the keto stix alot in the beginning,but since i have been lcing for over 3 months now,i pretty much know what will throw me out of ketosis and i dont use them much at all anymore.....i really think they help when u first begin low carbing ,they did me Tammy