Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#226   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-05, 04:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/173/175 Male 70 in
BF:
Progress: 107%

It looks a lot like it does here in Ohio.

Where abouts in Colorado are you? I used to live outside of Denver when I was a kid.
Sponsored Links
  #227   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-05, 06:55

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 272/261/190 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I'm in Littleton, not too far from Chatfield Res. - if that helps. Colorado is a great place to ride, no question. I feel very lucky to live here...
  #228   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-05, 10:28

Plan: Aitkins
Stats: 212/180/155 Male 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress:

Wow - great pics!! I've only ridden in Colorado once - and that was in Denver (stopped for a quick ride to get the bends out on our way to Wichita Falls for the HHH) We rode just on the trails there and I was amazed at the network of trails. Nice.

My wife is a GREAT cook and baker. It saves tons of money on treats for the kids. Unfortunately, it's a real temptation for me. She does make sure that she always has something for me to LC, though.

Hey, care to share that recipe for lasagna? My wife was making plans to make some, and I'm a real Garfield - lasagna is my favorite food!
  #229   ^
Old Wed, Nov-09-05, 17:06
Circling...

Stats: 230/222/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Got a few last outdoor rides in over the past couple weeks while it was still warm. All you winter cyclists enjoy your biking in the snow... it's not for me for sure! Guess I don't have the proper dedication or cycling loyalty but it sounds miserable to me. LOL!
I did get a trainer and actually am surprised I don't hate it. From everything everyone had told me I expected it to be torture. It's definitely boring but no more boring than any other indoor exercise I do. I think it will work well for the winter months and I seem to get a decent workout with sustaining a fat burning heart beat for an extended period of time. I just throw on my mp3 player and spin away.
Ride on...
  #230   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 12:30
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

WOW.. GREAT riding trails!! Love the leaves too!

I went on a 55 mile ride this weekend.. a rather interesting ride... it was called...

this is from the flyer for the ride...

Yep.. a long bicycle ride.. which everyone does for fitness, right?? ...and you have all you can eat DONUTS????? Even worse... they give you a 5min "time break" for every donut you eat.. so theoretically you could finish BEFORE YOU START!!

...and yes.. I did have a ...ahem.. "few" donuts..

Top 8 reasons Mike HAD to ride in the "Tour de Doughnut" (it would have been top 10.. but after the ride, I needed a NAP!)

8. Wanted pizza, but the only way to get it without stopping my counter was a bike ride over 40miles

7. anything at a rest stop is fair game

6. I wanted to improve my time in a 60 mile ride so I ate my way to a 30min time bonus (yes .. they WERE gving 5 minutes per donut)

5. Hey.. I only had ONE donut (every 10 miles)

4. Final score: Donuts 6 Daddio 0

3. I had to eat them.. it was for charity!

2. I couldn't do that to the OTHER riders, so I sacrificed MYSELF!!!

and the number one reason

1. THEY WERE FREE!!!!

Sorry Gypsy.. we're just getting INTO prime riding time! ...but I don't ride very much during the heat of the summer.

Have a great day everyone!

Mike
  #231   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 18:06

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

DaddioM,

You inspired me. I went out and did a 50 mile ride today. The weather cooperated and I did the ride in my summer shorts and jersey. I didn't have any donuts though. As it was a spur of the moment ride, I did it without any food, just water.
  #232   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 22:20
Circling...

BF:

Daddio.... that's hilarious!!!!!
  #233   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 23:49
Northern Mike

Hey Dodger.. wish I could try some REAL hills (at least once....then I'd probably want my FLAT back.. lol)

Gypsy.. glad you enjoyed!! ...and actually I lied... If I had one donut every 10 miles... it would mean 5.5 donuts and I actually had 6!! ....but I tried not to enjoy the second half of the last one!

Mike
  #234   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-05, 21:11
Circling...

BF:

I'm sure you tried real hard, Daddio! As you wiped the powder from the powdered donut off your mouth.
  #235   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-05, 22:45
Northern Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyAngel
I'm sure you tried real hard, Daddio! As you wiped the powder from the powdered donut off your mouth.
exACTLY!! Just to work off the donuts.. I went Salsa dancing for 3 hours friday night.. slept 3.5hrs, then went on a 44mile bike ride saturday. Part of the path was along the same roads I travelled for the MS150 this past year.

Does anyone have anything special they do to train for hills (other than actually DOING hills)??

Mike
  #236   ^
Old Sun, Dec-11-05, 03:16
Circling...

BF:

How's everyone doing with winter cycling? You all know I'm a cold weather wimp but I have been using the trainer. It is boring as all hell but it keeps me doing something on the bike since I know I won't be outside. It will definitely do for the winter! I'm considering joining one of the spin classes at the Y but I'm afraid it might kill me. LOL!
  #237   ^
Old Sun, Dec-11-05, 11:37
Northern Mike

Hi Angel!

The spinning classes at the Y are GREAT. The instructor WILL try to kill you, but I've found ways to handle that. If your heart rate is getting too high... when she tells me to turn it UP a notch, I turn it DOWN a notch. Actually, after a few spinning classes (and purchase of a heart monitor) I don't even worry about that.. if my heart rate gets up too high, I just take a step back.. no biggie. I think the spinning classes are GREAT though.. they push you, they have music, and other people are suffering WITH you ...does it get better??

I have NOT been doing much cycling the past few weeks, but I DID sign up for the MS150 again! I'll probably start to go on a few more rides in January.

Hope everyone is having a good December.. Merry Christmas y'all!!

Mike
  #238   ^
Old Sun, Dec-11-05, 12:31

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 272/261/190 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hello fellow cyclists!

Gypsy - I'm actually going to the Y next week to look into that very thing - strange how great (well, okay, twisted) minds think alike... Anyway, I get a discount through my employer and it's less than a mile away, so it seems like a no-brainer to me. Does anyone know if the bikes most of them have can be used with clipless pedals? I have some spare cycling shoes that I could use.

As for winter cycling. I have some Pearl Izumi "Escalation" tights, shoe covers and a balaclava on order and plan start riding again even in the extreme cold - as long as road conditions are safe and it's not actually snowing.

I'll let you know how it goes...
  #239   ^
Old Sun, Dec-11-05, 12:39
Northern Mike

CBG... At our YMCA ALL the bikes can use clipless pedals. I can never remember which kind I use.. but it's the ones that can be used with the offroad shoes (SPD??).. the smaller cleat ones.. and I KNOW the bikes work for those. Your YMCA MIGHT be different but it seems teh spinning classes actually target cyclists, so I'd bet you'll be able to use clipless.

Mike
  #240   ^
Old Sun, Dec-11-05, 12:41

Plan: Generic
Stats: 230/158.5/155 Male 71 inches
BF:32%/13%/10%
Progress: 95%

The spinning bikes I've been on at 24 Hour Fitness are SPD-compatible.

In Boulder, I ride down to about 30 degrees with tights, toe covers, thermal jersey and undershirt and a thin, neoprene balaclava. I'm sure I could go colder but, truthfully, I don't enjoy riding that cold.