Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Salads Veggies & Side Dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-13-06, 11:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 191/153/138 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress:
Wink stuffed jalepenos

Hi. I'm new here. I have been so inspired reading everyone's recipes, I thought I would share a recipe my boyfriend made this last New Year's Day.

10 fresh jalepenos
8 ounces of cream cheese (cold)
1 lb sugar free raw bacon
toothpicks

Halve jalepeno peppers and remove seeds. Slice cheese and insert into jalepeno halves. Wrap each pepper half with bacon. Put on foil lined cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees until bacon starts to brown and crisp.

I use toothpicks inserted into the top of the wrapped peppers to help keep the bacon in place. My boyfriend cuts the bacon in half, but I use a whole slice of bacon, because I use the largest peppers I can find! Also, the cream cheese is easier work with if it is cold. Hope you like.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-13-06, 20:26

Plan: Atkins/Oprah/Phil
Stats: 228.4/187.6/175 Female 71 nches
BF:32%//26.4 BMI
Progress: 76%

Hi,
I love this recipe...tried something very simlar recently...but I had never really worked with the jalapenos before...before it was over, my fingers were burning, then the side of my face was burning...I couldn't believe it. Anyway, most people probably would know to be careful or maybe I just very senstive skin, but either way, a great recipe!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-14-06, 06:01
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

ginyer- Get some of those powder free latex, or non latex, gloves from your local pharmacy. That helps you from getting the oil into your face and skin. Alton Brown claims the reason he can't wear contacts is he tried putting them in a whole day after he messed with the jalapenos and still managed to really burn his eye. Last time I made fajitas I scratched my nose and had a burning under nose for evening.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-14-06, 06:18

Plan: Atkins/Oprah/Phil
Stats: 228.4/187.6/175 Female 71 nches
BF:32%//26.4 BMI
Progress: 76%

Lady,

That's a great idea...you know, I didn't want to sound like a complete wuss, but my fingers tips were still burning the next day...what a dummy I was. And let me tell you, it was a good thing I didn't have my contacts in that day...wooo!

Anita
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-31-06, 01:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

This sounds yummy! Does the bacon actually get crispy? Roughly how long do you usually cook them?

I must have skin made from asbestos, because I've never had any trouble handling jalepnos. I slice 'em or chop 'em or scoop 'em or whatever my recipe calls for just using my bare hands and I've never felt the stinging or burning that people talk about.

One thing I have noticed, though, is if I chop them using my little food processor and then take the lid off the processor right away, the jalepenos fumes really attack me!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-01-06, 05:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 191/153/138 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress:

I usually cook them for 20 minutes or so. Alot of the baking time depends on the thickness of your bacon and how much you have put on the peppers. Also, you can hurry up the process by broiling the peppers for a few minutes after the bacon is cooked, if it seems to be taking too long. I usually cook them several hours before I need them and then just reheat them in the microwave or oven. The heat from the peppers do not bother me much either.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-01-06, 06:01

Thanks for the info.!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-01-06, 10:01

Stats: 260/230/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I have made those before and they are awesome. But yes, wear gloves or scrub your hands very well. I generally rub my eyes and then I am in trouble.

I saw an alternative that is really fun as well.

Do not cut them in half, but slit them open and pull out the seeds. We generally make a T type cut....with the top of the t being by the stem.

Stuff the pepper full of grated mexican cheese. Wrap in bacon and put a toothpick in.

You can bake or fry in the fry pan, or even throw them on the grill. But have you heat high so you cook them up quickly before the cheese melts out. They are really yummy.

I stole this idea off food network one day. I just love that show.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-08-06, 09:55
Bigger than ever :(

Plan: Keto
Stats: 464/280/200 Male 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

That sounds like my recipe I posted before. You can check it out here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/...imageuser=52934

Bad pic I know.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-08-06, 12:57

Yum, those look great!!!! ( Although a bit more time intensive than the recipe in this thread.) The addition of the pulled pork and barbecue seasoning sounds really good.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-08-06, 13:17

Plan: On my own
Stats: 250/244/135 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 5%

This recipe makes me wish I was not allergic to dairy
I wish I could try this recipe

Annie
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-08-06, 17:57
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

If you are allergic to dairy they have soy based cream cheese. There is also some coconut cream y ou can buy that is as thick as cream cheese.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-08-06, 18:38

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

It seems that there are several variations of this type of recipe floating around. I recently saw one almost identical to BBQman's in our local paper (same name, too, which I found funny...must be my twisted sense of humor) but it called for a liberal sprinkling of BBQ rub over the bacon before smoking or baking. The cream cheese stuffing had other additions as well.
I have eczema on my hands and made the mistake of not wearing gloves the last time I made these...never again. My hands burned for 2 days and no amount of washing helped. Could be worse, though...I've heard stories of certain....er....southern regions being badly affected by unwashed pepper hands.
Now I wear latex gloves and have no problems with burning skin.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-06, 10:13

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 223/207/180 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 37%

These are fantastic. A quicker way to do it is instead of wrapping in raw bacon, you can roll the cream cheese filled side in store bought bacon pieces (already cooked and crumbled) and then bake. I think they are just as yummy this way and you don't have to wait for the bacon to cook.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-06, 11:19
feels like today

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 203.5/187.5/145 Female 5ft. 1in.
BF:
Progress: 27%

Sometimes instead of putting bacon on top, I mix in some Fiesta Ranch dry dressing mix with the cream cheese. About 1T for every 8 ounces of cheese and then stuff the jalepenos with that.