Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-02, 21:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/166/154
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default More on Macdonalds

I have just been reading last week's discussion on Macca's - and I always thought beetroot was a no-no! I usually go the Hungry Jack's double cheese burger because I think it tastes better - but if had known about the McOz............

Does anyone know roughly how many carbs are in either of these burgers minus the bun and sauce? I always wonder about the orange coloured cheese and whether the "meat" patties have any additives in them - like flour for binding.

And for brekky, try a sausage, bacon & egg McMuffin - just ask & they will make it for you - it is much yummier!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 04:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/187/170
BF:
Progress: 66%

All including the Buns
Bug Mac
Calories :617 - Protein 34.6 Carbs 42.4 Fat 35.2 Dietary Fibre 2.3
Kiwiburger- i think this is the same as the ozz burger has egg and beatroot (never seen an oz burger and i dont eat mc donalds)
Calories :742 - Protein 46.1 Carbs 42.4 Fat 44.3 Dietary Fibre 3.3

Burger king (err hungry jacks)
double cheeseburger
Calories :572 - Protein 36 Carbs 30 Fat 35 Dietary Fibre n/a
cheeseburger -
Calories :361 - Protein 20 Carbs 29 Fat 18 Dietary Fibre n/a
BBQ Bacon double cheeseburger
Calories :648 - Protein 43 Carbs 28 Fat 41 Dietary Fibre n/a

ok so the extra meat add's 1gm of carbs and twice the amount of fat

agin this is the standard burger with buns sauce etc.

beetroot - canned sliced per 100g
Calories :50 - Protein 1 Carbs 10-11 Fat 0 Dietary Fibre 1.5

hope this helps in some way
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 04:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/My Own
Stats: 97/83/68
BF:
Progress: 48%

Hi Carrie

I sometimes eat HJ's burgers without the bun myself. Based on www.dietclub.com.au, the basic components of a burger have the following carb counts:

Regular pattie (65g): 1.6g (4.2g less 2.6g fibre)
Large pattie: 2.4 (1.5 times regular pattie)
Processed cheese: 0.1g
Large bacon rasher: 0.8g

I've calculated the carb content for the following common HJ's burgers minus buns and including beef, cheese and bacon as indicated (see below to add condiments):

Hamburger: 1.6g
Cheeseburger: 1.7g
Cheeseburger with bacon: 2.5g
Double cheeseburger: 3.4g
Double cheeseburger with bacon: 4.2g
Whopper: 2.4g
Whopper with cheese: 2.5g
Whopper with bacon: 3.2g
Whopper with cheese & bacon: 3.3g
Whopper double beef: 4.8g
Whopper double beef with cheese: 4.9g
Whopper double beef with bacon: 5.6g
Whopper double beef with cheese and bacon: 5.7g

If you want to add any other condiments, here are the approximate carb contents:

Onion: 0.7g
Lettuce: negl (all fibre)
Tomato: 0.8g
Pickle: 0.5g
Mayonnaise: 5g
Ketchup: 2.5g

One of my favourites is the whopper double beef with cheese and bacon plus ketchup (bugger the salad - I like the fact that I can eat "junk" sometimes!): 8.2g

Enjoy!

Rebecca
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 22:51

Stats: 198/166/154
BF:
Progress: 73%

Great! Thanks for all that info guys. Now I can pig out with confidence!

Carrie
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 04:32

Plan: Slim Forever
Stats: 74/73/63
BF:
Progress: 9%
Thumbs up Hungry Jacks

Thanks Becca for the info on carbs in HJ's. We are going to the football tomorrow night and have decided we will definitely not be eating anything while we are there but will stop and eat on our way home. Hungry Jack's sounds fine with me. No cooking and some junk food to boot. Great.

I was looking up my carb counting book tonight to try and figure out the carb content but only confused myself because I have two books and they both have different carb allocations for each burger etc. Not sure which one to believe. Some items are similar but some differ by as much as 12 g per item. I'm beginning to wonder if any of them are absolutely correct and how you are supposed to know. You could be eating something you think is okay and instead it has been misrepresented.

Thanks for the breakdowns.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 08:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/My Own
Stats: 97/83/68
BF:
Progress: 48%

Hi Dianne

You're most welcome

I agree that there are just too many conflicting counts of things out there. I made a decision pretty early in the piece to rely on the carb counts at www.dietclub.com.au and just wing it and see how I went. I've lost 8.5kg in 8 weeks on low carb (3 in the first week and then roughly 0.5 to 1kg each week since - before low-carb it took me 4 months to lose 5kg). I think the important thing is that I'm losing the weight so I'm pretty happy to reply on that site and take the risk that it might be off once in a while. It belongs to Allan Bouroushek, a respected dietitician who publishes the most widely-read and comprehensive Australian calorie counter. As much as we'd like to make this a science, in many ways it's not and the important thing is the results and how we feel while we're achieving them. Sometimes I remind myself that we're people, not machines, and nothing is absolutely predictable!!

Rebecca
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 17:14

Plan: Slim Forever
Stats: 74/73/63
BF:
Progress: 9%
Smile carb counting

Rebecca you are absolutely right to stick to just one group/persons analysis. Thanks for the link to the web site. I will check it out. I have a copy of Alan's calorie counter from a couple of years ago when I was on weight watchers. The two carb counting books I have at the moment are the Family Circle fat, fibre and carb counter which is actually pretty comprehensive and the list of items in the back of my Slim Forever guide.

I jumped on the scales this morning and found I am down another kg. Yippee!! Talk about incentive. I know my initial loss will slow down but that's okay, I like the feeling that I am succeeding and am in control at last.

Thanks for your help Rebecca.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-04, 07:39

Stats: 150/150/135 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%

What about egg & sausage mcmuffin... I just had two for breakfast, minut the buns... :::???
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-12-04, 01:59

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 198/198/143 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Not sure about the sausage patty.

I eat Oz burgers once or twice a week. Usually get 2 and toss the buns. The other day we found a third Oz in the bag, makes up for some of those times when they forget part of our order and we decide it's too far to go back. Was going to keep it for later but ate it at the same time as the others, the next day my stall broke.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-12-04, 18:42
Registered Member

Plan: Own Lo Carb
Stats: 176/160.6/132 Female 61 inces
BF:
Progress: 35%

Talking about Maccas, Ive just started on my own version of lo carb (Lost 3kg in my first week I cant beleive it) any hoo I bought a roast chicken salad in my lunch break thinking this will be good for my carb count and when I turned it over and read the back it had about 23gr carbs in it??? why is that, is it the little cranberry things? Im still new at this so I couldnt quite figure that one out.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-24-04, 00:28

Plan: dont know
Stats: 250/250/200 Male 1.85
BF:
Progress:

regarding mc doddles... i once read that the all beef paties was actually tripe with added flavours and colouring.. i am sure that the article was written in regard to the fats added for taste some religions cannot eat the fats....has anyone else heard of this........... also i was in the supermarket and saw noodles advertised as low carb..when i read the back each serving ..100gram ..was 47 carbs..it pays to look
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 08:46

Plan: Atkins ? My own version
Stats: 220/180/143 Female 167.6cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Its the croutons and tomato

I had the same reaction as you when I read the label - but just tossed the platic cup of croutons and scooped out half the tomato - there must have been a whole one in there! The carb count should come right down. I suspect the chicken has a few carbs too - it has that processesd look - but nothing to worry about. The dressing is individually labelled, and has minimal carbs but you can add as much or little as you like. I guestimate the whole salad as between 5 and 9 carbs (guessing - not actually calculating). Hope that helps.