Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-07, 15:59

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise
By the way...wellbutrin or Zyban the antidepressant is prescribed in lower dose than for clinically depressed people and works very well according to studies. It takes the pleasant taste/effects of smoking away. I couldnt keep up with the pill because of a habitual tendency to forget about taking medication...

I couldn't tolerate it for more than a few weeks even though I did notice a definite decrease in the amount that I smoked when I took it. I have tinnitus even on a good day but the Wellbutrin made it ten times worse; I just couldn't stand it. Wish my doc had told me that was a side effect or I wouldn't have bothered in the first place.
Fortunately, I went on to quit without it.
Keep trying until the quit sticks!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-07, 07:09
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 314/284/160 Male 5'10
BF:45.1/40.7/23
Progress: 19%

What I hear (weasel words) is that it can take up to 5-7 tries before you kick the habit. I had tried 6 months before. I had quit for several weeks. I then had a particularly stressful day, went to my car and found a pack of cigarettes I normally don't like and had one. Big mistake. Then I waited to try to quit again. Must have gained weight at that point wich would be consistent with what happened to Brenda. Wonder if this is a pattern? When I did finally quit I used the mantra " I am not a smoker...I am not a smoker" That helped. Stopping smoking is a major Goal in my life. Up there with loosing weight. However I wanted to wait before I began LC. Some (weasel word again) say there is a reason for waiting. Does anybody have any insight to share?
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-07, 18:57

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
However I wanted to wait before I began LC. Some (weasel word again) say there is a reason for waiting. Does anybody have any insight to share?

Quitting smoking and going low carb are two major changes in anyone's normal routine. For some, it's simply too much to manage to try to quit smoking and start a low carb plan all at the same time. I know that some have managed it and my hat is definitely off to them, but for most it's just too stressful trying to deal with carb withdrawal and nicotine withdrawal at the same time and would be setting themselves up to fail on both fronts, IMO.
For me, low carbing came first and quitting came later.

Quote:
What I hear (weasel words) is that it can take up to 5-7 tries before you kick the habit.

I've read that figure as well and was right on the money with me; my 6th attempt is the one that stuck; I'll be coming up on my 18 month anniversary in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by Lisa N : Fri, Apr-20-07 at 04:34.