Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 20:02

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

There's not too much conversation down here I read Otenn's first post on the anyone here with 100+ to lose thread (oops. I hope I got your name right -- I can't go back and check it now). I thought it was a terrific idea, and there have been a lot of responses, but it seems after people introduce themselves, there isn't much activitiy. I'm with Otenn. I CRAVE interaction with people who are in this for the long haul.

I'm specifically interested -- since I'm at the beginning (again) -- to hear from people who have been on LC for awhile to hear what strategies you've accumulated to keep going. Do you have a list of favorite foods/meals? Do you take the "variety is the spice of life" approach and try something new? Are you looking to get to a stage where food is as irrelevant as possible -- it's just fuel (Nat posted that in her journal). I've read Andy's journal -- now that is a man with a PLAN

How smooth is your road? How are you doing to cope with that?

Could we talk about that kind of stuff?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 17:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 325/308/200
BF:
Progress: 14%

Alto:

I keep thnking when people as the "experts" for advice that I don't belong in that category. I just feel like I am shlepping along, and still am amazed that the weight has rolled off.

I am really under appreciating myself (as is usual for me, (maybe for all fat people? another idea to consider I guess). Anyway, here I am, 53 lbs down and still feeling less than successful. Maybe it is because I am not yet 1/2 way to goal, or maybe it is because I know that I have at least been 10 lbs lighter than this at one point in the last 3 years, or maybe it is because I seriously can still fit into the pants I was wearing the day I started low carbing and not look too ridiculous! (how does that happen?)

Anyway, I guess I am a long hauler, and I am already achieving success and I guess I should be darned proud of having lost 53 lbs. It certainly is better than carrying it around.

I can't pass along any real secrets or tricks. I am a plain jane, all the way. I try to avoid processed items, such as low carb bars or treats. I eat a lot of meat and I don't try to be too fancy with the way I cook it. I am happy enough with roasted chicken or barbequed steak or pan fried chops....old standards. I eat a lot. I know that is helping me succeed. Whenever I have tried low fat diets I can remember obsessing constantly about my next meal. With this WOE I have to be a careful planner, but I am not obsessing about the food.

Planning is also important for success. Having a whole variety of low carb snacks available when a craving hits (already made tuna or chicken salad, hard boiled eggs, cheese, shrimp, hamburger patties...) ready and in the fridge is a big help. I used to cook up almost 10 lbs of ground meat on Saturday or Sunday into patties and mini meat loaves and meat balls to freeze and have at the ready in the fridge. Being prepared to stave off a craving for a snack with a low carb alternative to chips and cookies is essential.

Probably the thing that is helping me the most is realizing that I am in this for the long haul and I am ok with that mentally. I am not looking for the fastest weight loss in the land. I don't need to see the scale move down every week, as long as it is not moving UP!!! I just went through about 6 weeks with no appreciable loss and I was OK, enjoyed a little breather for myself and released some pressure from the losing cycle. I think the losing is starting up again, and I'm very glad for it, but not feeling desperate, just accepting.

Hope this helps a bit.

Mari
LC Since April 1, 2001 (or thereabouts)
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 18:20

BF:

Thanks, Mari! That helps a lot.

I think what you've said is very sensible -- and in this case, the "experts" are the people who've actually DONE this. 53 pounds since April -- that's an incredible success. You should feel proud.

I also agree with you on keeping to "plain" foods. I've seen too many people get in trouble when they switch to eating mostly locarb bars, shakes, bread substitutes, etc. (Of course, that may work well for some people.)

I understand completely what you mean about not feeling successful -- even though you ARE. I've done that, too. I remember vividly, even though it was 15 years ago, that I'd gotten down to 190. I still wanted to lose more, but I thought I looked, well, respectable. I went to get a haircut, and the cutter looked repulsed by me. I started by saying, "I've lost a lot of weight and I want a new haircut" but didn't get past the "lot of weight" before she said, 'GOOD!!!!!" This was someone I'd never met. I know that it doesn't matter what strangers say, and one of the best things about being middle-aged is that it's easier to deal with that, but I felt totally crushed.

I'm sure everyone has stories about past attempts -- family saboteurs, spouses who leave. It's part of what makes being in the "triple digit club" difficult.

So it's hard. And I guess the only thing to do is to ignore anything or anyone who stands in the way of what we're trying to do.

I think your philosophy is a good one -- I admire your progress and I hope I'll match it

Last edited by alto : Tue, Nov-06-01 at 20:11.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 07:54

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Wink We are in it for the longhaul

Well, I understand what you folks are saying. It's hard for me to realize my success because I'm still a large person. Only I am shrinking. It will take a while to actually not need "plus" sizes. But I always remind myself, that it took years to put on this much weight. It will take time to take it off. And I agree, with Alto, 53 pounds is alot of weight to lose already. Otenn, you are doing it!!
The last time I tried to lose weight seriously, before I just sort of gave up, I was counting calories. Boy, was that a drag!!! And when the holidays rolled around, after I had lost 40 something pounds, I just gave up counting and trying. I could never get back the momemtum. But with this low carb thing, I'm not feeling deprived. I don't try not to eat. And the kinds of foods I eat satisfy me. So I'm hoping that these upcoming holidays, I can make it through without "giving up". I know I will want at least one piece of pumpkin pie....But I choose not to eat all the mashed potatoes and every other starchy food at Thanksgiving and Christmas.
I think we have to concentrate on the success already achieved. It was hard for me at first because I felt I wasn't losing rapidly. My neighbor lost weight last year by restricting fat severely and lost very quickly. But sad to say she's gaining it back. My weight loss is slower, but I plan to make this a WOL and plan to keep it off. This is the first time in almost 10 years that I've been able to lose weight and have hope for my future. Yippee!!!Yippee!!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 08:17

BF:

Victoria, you've got a terrific attitude -- it is hard when we just look at the numbers, or our clothes. But I glanced at your percent to goal -- and it's 25% That's wonderful. A very nice number

I agree, too, that the key to this is finding something we can live with. I've been re-reading my low carb collection. Fran McCullough's "Living with Low Carb" has a lot of very good, practical tips and examples of how people have adapted this diet. (She's a bit of a carb sneaker, truth to tell, but if you read around that, there's some good advice in there -- and some good recipes.)
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 08:36

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Wink Thanks for the book tip!

Hey, thanks Alto! I always enjoy book recommendations. I enjoyed reading Dana Carpender. She was funny, very informative and gave several approaches to low carbing. I myself hate too many "rules". But when I read about the whole insulin thing, and the whole reason my body stored so much fat, I got it. It's good to see it in print, so you can refer back to the book for motivation.
Thanks for the feedback! Victoria
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 09:01

BF:

I have that book too! It's on my reread list

There's a commercial for diet cat food I've seen on TV recently -- make your fat cat slim again, turn back the clock. How? "By regulating her insulin levels." (I wonder if they make it in human flavors ) No muss, no fuss, no controversy. Just, "We're making something that regulates insulin levels." I think Atkins should buy shares.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 20:33

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I can't resist putting my 2 cents worth in.

Quote:
I'm specifically interested -- since I'm at the beginning (again) -- to hear from people who have been on LC for awhile to hear what strategies you've accumulated to keep going. Do you have a list of favorite foods/meals? Do you take the "variety is the spice of life" approach and try something new? Are you looking to get to a stage where food is as irrelevant as possible -- it's just fuel (Nat posted that in her journal).

1. I prefer to eat real foods (meats, egg, dairy, veg) and stay away from LC substitutes for high carb food. Except for pita bread in a greek restaurant, I never crave bread. I've decided that if wheat/bread is bad for me, I don't want to find substitutes. Otherwise I might want the real thing .

2. I still have a sweet tooth and the rich LC desserts are my downfall. I haven't figured out how to completely eliminate these from my regime. I know in my head it is slowing my loss, but I still make & consume LC cheesecake & mousses. The emotional and psychological me hasn't caught up with the logical me.

3. (sigh) Food is not yet irrelevant. Part of me wants to view food as fuel only, the other part enjoys the flavours, texture and sheer enjoyment of food and all that goes with food. Food is an integral part of our social lives. Without food getting together with friends would not be as much fun. I think Rachel said something like this at the Vancouver LC dinner last weekend.

Having said all that, my focus is not on food all the time. Many years ago with doing WW, I thought about food ALL day. and I was hungry. Obsessing on food can't be healthy & when I reached that conclusion, I dropped WW. I'm happy to not obsess about food. My friends that are normal, healthy weights don't think about food all the time. They forget to eat, for heaven's sake! I consider my lack of focus on food to be a VICTORY! Yay!

4. I like to try new things occasionally, when I have the energy. Variety IS the spice of life. I love trying new recipes and new foods and combos are what will keep me going for a lifetime. If I'm tired/sick I stick with the old tried & true foods I usually make. **BTW ,if you haven't read my journal, I'm recovering from a herniated lumbar disk, working 5hrs daily right now. I'm working on strengthening my mid & upper back muscles. When they are sore, I don't want to do anything. They have been sore often this week There have been no culinary adventures in my kitchen this week.

5. Not feeling well: If I'm not functioning at my best, I take it easy on myself and don't set any expectations for weight loss. As long as I'm generally LCing and don't gain weight, I'm happy. Likewise if I'm crazy busy or have other stressful events in my life. I'd rather do LC sloppily than go back to high carb eating: ie 40-50 carbs is better than my old levels of carbs Just my opinion.

That's all I can think of right now, I reserve the right to post again another time.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 20:48

BF:

That's a very valuable 2 cents. Thank you for posting in such detail (especially since you're not well, Ruth.)

Everything you wrote made a great deal of sense to me. I agree with your conclusion -- 50-60 carbs is certainly better than 200 to 300! Many people lose on that. I remember a "Drinking Man's Diet" of the 1970s where the cut-off was 60 carbs. (I lasted on that one a week, too. )

I can understand about the sweet tooth. So far, I'm staying away from making low carb desserts. I have been been eating an apple every day -- Protein Power allows that (they're very small apples). But I'm finding I like it for the crunch and the fresh taste rather than the sweetness. It's interesting that you can give up bread but not the sweets -- maybe that will come in time.

I'd also like to get to the place where I don't obsess about food. For me, I think, that means acquiring a repertory of lc meals (and keeping an lc pantry).

I hope you'll join in again
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 21:48

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Interesting comments

Hi!
i could not sleep tonight, so I went around the board and took time to read this sub-category. You all have some wonderful ideas, suggestions, but what I found to be the most important,
great attitudes. You all are doing a fantastic job

I am just starting and Mari (Otenn) has been great giving me some suggestions and you too, Alto as you have responded to a post of mine. Thanks ever so much.

I know that when I do decide to weigh myself, I will have to remind me that whatever I lose, it is important. I know I want a BIG< BIG loss of 20 pounds but whatever it is, it is gone. If I lost 1 - 3 pounds, I have to let it go and not bug me for all my hard work during induction. I know I will be disappointed but I will have to try harder, that is all. It is so easy to say on 'paper'- the true test will come when I actually do it.

My worry, concern is will I have the motivation to carry me thru the holidays and can I keep "legal and LC"? I am worried about this. Visions of platters of xmas cookies also do the rumba in my head as well as my daughters'!! LOL. I will have to find the strength somewhere.

Also, I have told no one outside of the LC Community I am trying to change. I have a big fear of failure and I do not want to have to defend my food choices to others. Let alone family members.
Are you sharing with people other than this community?

Thanks for your inspiring words. They give many strenth and motivation.

A Thin Me!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 22:34

BF:
Default Getting through the holidays

I've got some ideas on what to do/make for the holidays.

When going out:

Ask in advance what the menu is. Bring along whatever you need to supplement what the host provides that is LC. Example: I went to a wedding reception last weekend. The only thing on the menu I could eat was Ceasar salad so I brought a chicken broccoli salad (more like a cold casserole with mayo). The hostess was not offended at all - especially because I've already lost 45 lbs!. I'm very fortunate, the people in my life, both close friends, family and mere acquaintances have been supportive and gracious.

If you can't determine the menu in advance, eat b4 you go! I've done this a few times and it works beautifully. Then you won't be hungry & can politely nibble on whatever is low carb enough for you. "I'm not very hungry" is a good excuse if anyone notices you are not eating.

Things to make: have you checked out the recipes on the orange bar above? The Cool Cream Gelatin Cookies have been raved about. I'm going to make them soon. There are cheesecakes, etc to make for large crowds. Most any recipe can be made in individual portions in small bowls, cupcake liners, aluminum tart cups, etc. In the kitchen forum Karen has a recipe for Vancouver LC cheesecake (non-bake) that is fabulous and can be made ahead without it drying out. There are lots of recipes on this site & other sites. Try web searching 'low carb recipes'.

Appies: try to have appetizer type LC nibbles on hand. I posted a smoked tuna recipe, see it here. Serve it with pork rinds, raw crispy veg like cucumber rounds, cauliflower, broccoli, radish, etc (and carrots for non lcers) I'm thinking of warming it in the oven this holiday season for a hot appy. There are lots of holiday dips. Pepperoni slices nuked on parchment paper til crispy make a good dipper. Ditto for grated cheese. Devilled eggs.

I have a rep as a baker at christmas time. This year I'm going to be stockpiling some LC treats, both for me and guests.

Cook large roasts and turkeys. Use leftovers to make wraps with cheese, asparagus spears, etc.

Other handy excuses for not eating what is offered: I can't eat/ I'm allergic to ...... wheat, potatoes, sugar, etc. Diabetics like me have a built in excuse

My suggestions here are limited, there are more ideas out there. If I ever find the LC list that had a huge listing of LC snack/munchy type foods I'll post it.

Who else has ideas? Help me out here, folks.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 22:52

BF:

Quote:
Also, I have told no one outside of the LC Community I am trying to change. I have a big fear of failure and I do not want to have to defend my food choices to others. Let alone family members.
Are you sharing with people other than this community?

It was a process: at first I didn't tell anyone. I, too, was wary of failure. Part way through Induction, I told a couple of close friends/family. After about 2 weeks, I told 2 close friends at work. 1 of them went ballistic on me. Whooeee! It was a rant of major proportions. I stood firm in my convictions that LC was healthy for me and was working! In an effort to cool Linda down, I said 'different diets work for different people". I never would have suspected she would go ballistic like that, it was out of character for her.

After the first 2 months, I tell everyone (if they ask or it comes up in conversation) that I'm doing Atkins. My suggestion: reread Atkins/PP before you tell anyone. You want to be rock-solid in your conviction about LC and be able to explain LC coherently. LOL - I'd better go re-read them books myself!

Food is all about choices: you/we choose to not eat bread/starch, etc. Others choose to eat those things. Some choose coffee, other don't. Some eat meat, others don't. Of course, you could always challenge them: We'll both eat the way we choose, after a month, let's see how much we each lost. Put up or shut up! It's a thought.

My older sister (an RN) wasn't sure about Atkins. (BTW, I'm a diabetic.) My response: If I don't lose weight, my lifespan will be shortened or I will suffer from complications of D. My eyesight seems to be the weak part of my body with D, so I may go blind. As far as heart/stroke: I'd rather have a heart attack as a slender/healthy weight person than as a morbidly obese person. She had to agree with me there and has been supportive ever since. She sometimes doesn't know what to feed me. I say 'don't worry about it, I'll have some tuna & mayo'.

One of my survival techniques: I leave a stash of tuna at her house and raid her fridge for mayo. I never have to eat high carb or go hungry at her house because of the tuna stash. I also have another stash in the trunk of my car. I've used it when out & about; if I'm invited to stay for a meal and the only food offered that I can eat is salad, out to the car I go & get some tuna. It works!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 23:14

BF:

I don't have the holiday problem, because I don't have a family -- so no temptations. I'm going out to dinner with a friend on Thanksgiving and am planning to eat reasonably, but not strictly. This means I won't eat the bread or potatoes, but I will have a drink and I probably will have dessert -- fruit if they have it.

That's much easier to do than having to prepare food for people or be a guest at someone's home. Ruth, you've got lots of ideas -- I think you've got it covered.

A Thin Me, I know exactly how you feel. I think when we finally make up our minds to do something about the weight problem, we want our bodies to respond instantly. You may well lose a lot at first -- that's the one advantage of those of us who start out at the high end But it probably will slow a bit, and that's normal (and I'm sure you know this.) I figured that if I just lose 1 pound a week for a year, that's 52 pounds less this time next year than this year. As the joke goes, the time will pass anyway I'm not telling people. When the weight loss starts to show, and someone asks, then I'll tell them, but I won't announce it before then.

Could I make a suggestion? If we have questions within a thread, it might be useful to post them as separate topics. I think it would be great if this forum took off and really did become a support group within a support group -- thanks, Wa'il!!! So "How do you get through the holidays?" and "Do you tell family and friends" might start a good discussion on their own, and then there would be three threads going on this forum. Something to remember for next time
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 23:21

BF:
Default Good idea Alto

Quote:
Could I make a suggestion? If we have questions within a thread, it might be useful to post them as separate topics. I think it would be great if this forum took off and really did become a support group within a support group -- thanks, Wa'il!!! So "How do you get through the holidays?" and "Do you tell family and friends" might start a good discussion on their own, and then there would be three threads going on this forum. Something to remember for next time

That's a great idea, but sometimes the newbies just go off on a tangent and we answer them there. I never thought of this before and I think I'll try to start a new thread when I answer, but post a hyperlink on the original thread, referencing the new one. Ie the reference to the smoked tuna dip recipe was a hyperlink.

Does that make sense?
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 23:27

BF:

Makes perfect sense, Ruth. I think it will make it easier to follow conversations, but also, there's something about mass If therer are a lot of threads, that in itself will encourage people to post new ones, where if it's just one thread, it gets so long that it's difficult to read.

Adding the hyperlink is a terrific idea!