Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 07:21
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 215/215/150 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress:
Default GonnaDoIt and Bobi-p

Thanks for your replys not to many people replied 82 looked 2 replied and I am very greatful you did I really do not have anyone to talk with all my friends live hundreds of miles away and are not on an eating plan it has been so hard for me to stay on this diet I try to plan meals out but with working every day it is hard to prepare meals ect what do you usually eat you work outside the home. Susan that was a great loss 9 lbs I think if I could lose 9 lbs I might have the mind set to keep going I do pretty fair during the week but blow it every weekend were usually away from home and have to eat out. I would be greatfulfor any and all of your ideas. Susan, my husband and I have talked about looking at New Mexico as a possible place for retirement I have seen that lots of people retire there. Can you give me the scoop on how life is there. Thanks again for replying have a blessed day hope to hear from you soon

Christieo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 11:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/193/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%

HI there, Christie! Do not get discouraged, okay? One of the rules of thumb is to try and stay away from what they call "frankenfoods" especially while on induction. Those are the low carb drinks, bars, and candies that are constantly being thrown in our faces as low carb distractions. They actually stall many people and even those who have lost alot of weight still stay away from them. Believe me when I say I know how you feel though. Try to just tell yourself when you go out...no white flour, no sugar and no starch. I can see your face now.... It isn't always easy, but it is do-able. Have you checked into the fitday.com website? Great way to count and watch what you eat in daily carbs...and it is free to join. Drink as much water as possible every day.....carry water with you when you and your husband travel out on the weekends. I don't know about you, but I find it easier to drink room temperature water so when in a restaurant I can get a few extra glasses down. I never did a journal like a lot of others here...when I was working I entered my daily input into fitday and hit the sack, LOL (I retired in June 2005). Journals just weren't me. And, I am one of those nasty "weigh every morning" kind of people...but it works for me and tells me how to eat during the day. Many weigh only once a week (some even one a month) and that is probably the best....especially if standing on a scale depresses you. Whatever works for you, then do it. Whatever you do...do not weigh yourself at night.....you will have ugly nightmares if you do because you can show up to 5 lbs gain at the end of the day. Think of all that water you drank and then do the math I know nothing of your health situation, or your life style, or your work situation...but that all plays a part in your weight loss. Is your husband low carbing with you? I welcome you as a friend and will do my best to "pump you up" when you need it and sympathize with you when do the dirty deed...cheat. I have been there, done that, and have several tee shirts proving it...but I am still here and still believe in low carbing. I would love to tell you about New Mexico but this has gotten quite long aleady. Not sure if others would want the state tour information or not.....oh well, I guess they could always say so, right? They call New Mexico the Land of Enchantment.....it is, in every way!

Take care and stay safe!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-06, 11:40
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks again Susan for the information on Fit.com that is a great site as a newbee I am going to try to use it daily espically until i can keep myself on track, no my husband is not on low carb hes on a cereal soup and salad and fruit diet i ask him to go on lc with me but he said his diet is what works for him he only needs to lose about 25 lbs unlike my 60lbs but maybe if i can show him mine works he will convert, what is really hard is trying to plan meals that i think my son would like too you know at 15 what they like pizza, burgers fries, chinese food ect however he is supposed to be in training for football so he may have to learn to eat what i eat, well have been good so far this week will see if i can make it thru the weekend hope you have a great week and will be back at end of week

Christie
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-06, 10:40

BF:

Hello Christie! I hope your week went well and that your week is a great one! How did the diet go? Since you asked about New Mexico, here goes: I am actually a transplant from Maryland (came in in 1969 and except for a couple excursions to live elsewhere, have managed to get back here to my officially adopted state). My husband is from this state, actually from Ft. Sumner (Billy the Kid fame). We have lived in Clovis (very flat with dairy industry), Albuquerque (mountains and volcano bluffs) and are currently in Alamogordo (desert with mountains and snow skiing just 16 milies away). The cost of living is low compared to the east or west coast, and you may be familiar with it if you are currently in the southwest region of the US. The culture and history of NM is amazing. Our climate can be very hot to very cool depending on where a person lives. Humidity is scarce. Drought is felt everywhere lately,though. If you and your husband are looking for specific retirement needs, I have no doubt that NM will meet them somewhere in the state, so I do hope you give it a good look-see. If you have a specific questions, just ask away. Take care and let me know how you are doing with low carbing.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-06, 00:29
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hey Susan, the week did not go well the people my 24 year old son was living with since his recent divorce did not work out and he is back home and I have been rather nervous this week and then my husband took me out to an early Valentines dinner on Sat I need something to jump start me I have been going thru several of the threads and it looks like alot of people have trouble getting started I can tell by how long they have been posting and there slider scales but I am not using that as an excuse I totally blame myself and my husband keeps telling me I need to start thinking of myself but it is hard when your kids (they are mine not his) are having problems. I read about a One Day Fat Flush Detox Program that might be a good jump start have you every tried one. What is your suggestion and did you have trouble at first?

Christie

P.S. Happy Valentines Day
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-06, 12:31

BF:

Hi there Christie! Happy Valentines Day back to you and your hubby! The first time I was on Adkins...2 years ago....my husband and I went through it like gang busters! We didn't lose all the weight we wanted, but we felt better which was a plus. Now, we are back (although I still weigh less this time around than I did 2 years ago), I find it somewhat harder to do. I see that alot in these threads and realize that I am not the only one. Motivation begins in the mind.....it is that simple. I find that I have to be responsible for my weight loss or lack of weight loss. Things that happen in our lives cause interruptions or delays because "we are needed elsewhere" sometimes. Family does come first, but it seems your sweet hubby may be seeing things "for you" and so he says you need to take care of "you". Look at it this way.....if you do not take care of Christie...how can Christie be there for others? It can be so hard changing what we (Moms) have done for many years. But, you know something....our kids go on and live their lives and who will be there for you? That sweet hubby will be there with you when everyone else has gone on with their lives, so listen to what he is relaying to you. You will be just fine.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-06, 09:37

BF:

Christie, I realized that I didn't answer your question about the one day fat flush detox....I haven't any idea what it is. I have read about the 3-day meat and egg fast on threads but I haven't ever actually met the criteria for it...which is a complete stall for at least 3 months or so (I think that is the time). Not saying people haven't tried it sooner, but I don't think it was meant for beginning low carbers so soon in their process. Best I can tell, you haven't been able to get through the full two week induction period yet. This morning I finally (after over a month) went down another pound after yo-yoing a pound or two up and down. I can tell you are a busy lady, but have you thought about posting what you eat so we can give you some pointers? Perhaps you can start a journal and work on it one day a week when you have time? I know you can lose the weight, it is just finding the correct low carb program that works for you.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-06, 09:58
Registered Member

Stats: 247/228/185 Male 70 inches
BF:36/33.5/
Progress: 31%

Christie, just follow the rules of induction. It takes several days to get used to it. If I find myself hungry, I snack on celery, celery with cream cheese (not low fat!) Of string cheese, etc.
Atkins works, just takes time. If you hang in there, you'll get it.