Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#241   ^
Old Fri, Oct-09-20, 08:48

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Wow, the cancer code by fung.

Cancer runs in my family. When not if. Told it was all genetic. Dana Farber pushes genetic testing. I beleived in the system until......

Learning about fasting and its ability to clean up cells and repair.

I now butt in telling others in family do not test, and do not remove ovaries and breasts.
How silly really. With a high incidence of colon cancer, why is the colon not recommended for removal. So why remove anything?!!

Change the diet. No one ready to hear much about fasting.But there lies the answer to cancer.

Please give a review when you get the book.
Sponsored Links
  #242   ^
Old Fri, Oct-09-20, 11:54

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle

I'm quite tempted. Dr. Fung is so good at explaining the complicated.
  #243   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-20, 04:35

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

From what Amazon were saying when I pre-ordered "The Cancer Code", I could be reading it by Christmas. Worse ways of spending the evening.
  #244   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-20, 15:28

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle

Cancer runs in my family. When not if.
That used to be my dad's joke: "We don't have heart disease in our family (no one, counting siblings, parents, grandparents, aunts. uncles, has ever had a heart attack). We all die from cancer"

Definitely can't wait to read the book! Especially with Zoe Harcombe, with her advance copy, saying how awesome and well written it was. I love Fung's very accessible writing style.
  #245   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-20, 08:09

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Good reminder from Kristie Sullivan...Amazon Prime days (tomorrow and next, 13 & 14) almost always have a Book Code, some % off. Her Growing up Keto cookbook, or I will use it for The Cancer Code.

I ordered Ben Bikman's book on Kindle, and ended up returning it (never done that before with a digital!) but the charts for diabetes drugs and list of the foods were a complete mess. I use the Kindle app on my iPad, didn’t matter how held it, did not line up. I basically knew the list of foods, but Kindle should have done a better formatting job.
  #246   ^
Old Fri, Nov-13-20, 12:31

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Nice review of The Cancer Code in the UK media, looking forward to reading my copy:

Quote:
The link between diabetes and cancer – and how to protect yourself

Obesity and type 2 diabetes can increase the risk of contracting cancer, but making dietary changes could have a big impact

More and more of us are stuck at home, sat on the sofa, inhaling chocolate bars for comfort to get us through the pandemic and becoming less mobile as we try to avoid Covid. But according to a new book by Canadian nephrologist Dr Jason Fung, we need to be aware of the risks of another big C as we slouch around waiting for the world to reopen: cancer.

In The Cancer Code: A Revolutionary New Understanding of a Medical Mystery, Fung hypothesises that we’re fighting the war on cancer with one arm behind our back, ignoring a key contributor to the seriousness of the illness half of us will get in our lifetime, according to Cancer Research UK. He believes we need to pay more attention to how the dysregulation of insulin in our bodies – caused by obesity and type 2 diabetes – can increase the risk of contracting cancer.

“We’re stuck in this paradigm of cancer as a sort of genetic freak accident,” says Fung. “It’s not really. It’s much more complex than that.” We as a human race recognise that cancer is a mutation of cells gone wrong, resulting in something malicious and malign attacking our bodies, replicating and multiplying. But, he says, we don’t think about why that mutation has happened, taking it a step further back.

"What you see is not a random occurrence,” Fung explains. He compares it to the writing of an article like this one: “It’s not just this random jumble of letters or words you happen to throw on a page that land in a perfectly-worded way. We’re trying to understand how cancer actually evolves, and the reason this is important is that something is evolving.”

We understand that in lung cancer: smoke too many cigarettes, and the inhalation of tobacco smoke leads to the triggering of growth of cancerous cells. But for many other cancers – and for the contribution towards lung cancer – we tend to overlook diet. “The biggest frontier we’re looking at now is diet and nutrition, and what parts of the diet are really that important for the development of cancer,” says Fung.

The link between insulin and cancer has long been hypothesised, but there remains no real smoking gun. “Insulin excess is assumed to be a cancer-promoting factor in patients,” explains one recent academic paper published in the academic journal Cell, but “our understanding of the insulin–cancer relationship is incomplete, and clinical studies have not clarified its relevance because of inappropriate design”.

Yet Fung believes that the link is obvious: we know that insulin and other hormones act as nutrient sensors in our bodies. When we eat, our insulin spikes and tells our body that food is available, encouraging growth and the expending of energy in cells. “We recognise that it’s not only important for energy metabolism but is also a very, very important growth factor,” says Fung. However, every time our cells divide and our bodies grow, we’re “tipping the scales more towards the development of cancer,” he says.

It’s a further explication of what we already know: obesity is linked inextricably with higher cancer rates, according to Cancer Research UK. In fact, being overweight is the second-biggest preventable cause of cancer, contributing to one in 20 cases. The World Health Organisation says there’s evidence to link 13 different kinds of cancer, including breast cancer and colorectal cancer – the second and third most prevalent on the planet – to obesity.

The solutions are simple, Fung suggests. We need to try and reduce our insulin intake, and therefore the increase in division and action in our cells that could cause cancer. That’s done by laying down the chocolate bar and starting to snack on something a little healthier. “If you’re eating a lot of refined carbohydrates, refined foods and junk food, they’re going to lead to obesity, which is going to lead to diabetes, which is going to lead to cancer,” he says.

Doing so could lead to a lowering of the risk of breast cancer in an American or British woman by a factor of two or three, he reckons. “If you take a Japanese woman and move her to San Francisco, her risk of breast cancer within a couple of generations doubles or triples because it’s not the genetics of it; it’s the environment that dictates your risk.”

Fung wants us to move away from the genetic consideration of how cancer comes to us and to instead think of it as an evolutionary paradigm. “We should treat this as almost an evolution, this cell that evolves into sort of like an invasive species if you will,” he says. And we should take the same approach we did to lung cancer in recent decades. “When we figured out smoking was a big risk factor for lung cancer, we said: ‘You need to stop smoking.’ We know obesity and type 2 diabetes are big risk factors for certain types of cancer. So we need to change our diet to cut down a lot of the refined foods and our sugar intake, for example.”

That’s obviously difficult given the extra stresses and strains not only on our minds but on our pockets, and the cheap availability of processed, high-sugar, refined foods. But if it’s possible, Fung says making changes could have a big impact.

“If you take it to the extreme and live your whole life like that, you can actually virtually eradicate cancer,” he says. As evidence he points to research carried out on people living in the Arctic Circle in the 1930s and 1940s to find out why they were ‘immune’ to cancer. “As these people adopted western lifestyles in the 1960s and 1970s, they all got cancer,” he says. “Clearly, they were not immune at all; it was their lifestyle and that they consumed so little processed food that affected them, and meant they never got cancer.”

The Cancer Code : A Revolutionary New Understanding of a Medical Mystery by Dr Jason Fung (Thorsons) is out now.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-...cancer-protect/

#247   ^
Old Sat, Nov-14-20, 02:26

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Some other great reads on the subject I've read:

The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer, by Dr. Siddhartha Mukherjee.

Tripping Over the Truth: The Metabolic Theory of Cancer, by Travis Christofferson

Keto for Cancer: Ketogenic Metabolic Therapy as a Targeted Nutritional Strategy, by Miriam Kalamian

#248   ^
Old Sat, Nov-14-20, 03:46

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Sad that I cannot access the article because a pop up suggesting a free trial for 3 months obscured the article and would not go away.
  #249   ^
Old Sat, Nov-14-20, 07:27

Demi, Thanks for copying the entire book review from The Telegraph.
Made me go off in search of more reviews and Podcasts...there are quite a few already. I’m listening to one long two-parter on The School of Greatness podcast with Lewis Howes...Dr Fung gets deeply into why Fasting works for obesity, diabetes and cancer.

A review: https://thechalkboardmag.com/cancer-code

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Nov-14-20 at 11:18.
  #250   ^
Old Tue, Nov-17-20, 03:02

BF:

I've now borrowed The Carnivore Cookbook by Maria Emmerich twice from the library. Might as well get my own copy lol.

_
  #251   ^
Old Sun, Nov-22-20, 10:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
“If you take it to the extreme and live your whole life like that, you can actually virtually eradicate cancer,” he says. As evidence he points to research carried out on people living in the Arctic Circle in the 1930s and 1940s to find out why they were ‘immune’ to cancer. “As these people adopted western lifestyles in the 1960s and 1970s, they all got cancer,” he says. “Clearly, they were not immune at all; it was their lifestyle and that they consumed so little processed food that affected them, and meant they never got cancer.”

This is what struck me powerfully with Gary Taubes' books. He covered a number of these studies, from all over the 19th century, as groups of people with ancient dietary traditions were "discovered" and supplied with the industrialized Western diet.
  #252   ^
Old Sun, Nov-22-20, 10:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
This is what struck me powerfully with Gary Taubes' books. He covered a number of these studies, from all over the 19th century, as groups of people with ancient dietary traditions were "discovered" and supplied with the industrialized Western diet.

Same section for me! Good Calories, Bad Calories, Chapter 13 titled "Dementia, Cancer, and Aging". Although I had been reading LC/Paleo books for a few months by then, reading the cancer info was my "lightning bolt moment". Started LC the next morning.

I'm about half way through The Cancer Code, the same Dr. Fung clear and sometimes witty writing.
  #253   ^
Old Sun, Nov-22-20, 11:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I'm about half way through The Cancer Code, the same Dr. Fung clear and sometimes witty writing.

He's both funny AND a great explainer.
  #254   ^
Old Thu, Nov-26-20, 00:55

BF:

Finished The Cancer Code earlier today - a page turner. The story just builds and the new to me info on paradigm 3.0, and how we got there is fascinating. Really got into it when the physicist was recruited. This is far and away a better read than his other 2020 book Life in the Fasting Lane, which was painful and I put it down almost immediately (probably to do with the other two co-authors).

This one is right up there with The Diabetes Code and The Obesity Code. Chock full of history and information.

The best book I've read all year .

_
  #255   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-20, 07:26

Agree about Cancer Code! Great book, and if you don’t want to read a book on theories of how cancer develops, Dr Fung has been interviewed on quite a few podcasts. Yesterday I listened to an interesting one with Dr Mark Hyman, who seems finally to have learned to stop interrupting so much. they did get into nutrition and fasting more than the book does.

An early Preview Review of Gary Taubes new book, The Case for Keto.
By Dr Malcolm Kendrick https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2020/...-keto-a-review/