Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-30-09, 14:22

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Eton Mess

LOW CARB ETON MESS

Serves 6

Per serving: 305 cals, 8g carbs

3 large egg whites
8 tablespoon (½ cup) Splenda + 1 extra dessertspoon, reserved for purée
½ tsp Cream of Tartar
1 lb (450g/2 cups) fresh strawberries, hulled (or any fresh berries)
1 pint (570 ml/2 cups) double cream (heavy cream)

Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 2, 300°F (150°C).

Whisk the eggs in a bowl until they form soft peaks that slightly tip over when you lift the whisk. Next, add the Splenda and Cream of Tartar, about a tablespoonful at a time, and continue to whisk until each has been thoroughly whisked in. Now take rounded dessertspoonfuls of the mixture and place them in rows on a lined baking sheet. Place the baking tray in the oven on the centre shelf, turn the heat down to gas mark 1, 275°F (140°C) and leave the meringues there for 1 hour. After that, turn the oven off and leave the meringues in the oven to dry out overnight, or until the oven is completely cold.

When you're ready to make the pudding, chop half the strawberries and place them in a blender together with the teaspoon of Splenda. Whiz the whole lot to a purée. Now chop the rest of the strawberries and whip up the double cream to the floppy stage.

All the above can be done in advance, but when you are ready to serve, break up the meringues into roughly 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces, place them in a large mixing bowl, add the chopped strawberries, then fold the cream in and around them. After that, gently fold in all but about 2 tablespoons of the purée to give a marbled effect. Finally, pile the whole lot into a serving dish, spoon the rest of the purée over the surface and serve as soon as possible.

This recipe is great if your meringues aren’t perfect. Because they are broken up, it simply doesn't matter if they weep, crack or collapse. So, you can practise making them over and over with this dish until you get them perfect.

If you want to know why this dessert is known as Eton Mess, then click here

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-30-09, 17:59

Plan: HCG
Stats: 28/22/16 Female 72 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 50%

Thank you! I've heard of this, but never made it. Sounds like a great thing for after my summer cookouts.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-30-09, 15:39

Plan: Custom low-carb
Stats: 240/188/140 Female 168 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Yum! I love Eton Mess! I thought it might be made low-carb-ish. I'm gonna have to wait before making this though, not at the strawberries stage yet.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-30-20, 18:50
POSITIVE☆ENERGY

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 123/456/789 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Oh how I eton mess. This recipe looks divine.