Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 12:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/171/140
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Failed Indian fritter batter

Gack. Super gack. Tried to make a Veggie fritter recipe from book. Fritter batter called for 3/4 c besan (chick pea) flour and 3/4 self raising flour (Aussie book), spices and 1 c water. I replaced with 3/4 c ground pork rind, 3/4 c soya flour (approx. measure), same spices and enough water to make soft but not runny batter. Dropped in hot oil, and watched as the balls dissolved in front of my eyes. Maybe needs egg to bind soy flour and pork rind?--though I think it was the pork rinds that were making the break away effort. So, do not try this at home. On the other hand, the Very Dry Beef Curry was very nice. Could post, though what's the protocol on previously published recipes?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 13:08
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hmm. Wheat flour contains gluten which creates an "elastic" effect so the dough won't fall apart.

Have you ever tried a grated pakora? Grate up zucchini, daikon, (squeeze out the water--very important!) finely chopped spinach, etc. Add a bit of onion, salt, spices. Then add an egg yolk and soya flour a bit at a time until thick but not dry. Fry small blobs in hot oil.

The only problem is, I don't know if this would work! I used to make pakora-y things out of chickpea flour all the time with no wheat flour or egg, and they always worked. I don't know if soya flour has different properties, but both contain no gluten.

You can post a recipe from another source as long as you give full credit. Name the book, author and if there is a link to the book or company, add that too.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 19:57

Stats: 190/171/140
BF:
Progress: 38%

I'll keep fiddling with it. Seems to me one of the baggies of floury substances I've bought from Capers has a glutinous type effect (can't remember which--probably the wheat gluten- duh). Maybe if I put some of that in, it'll help batter stick together. In the meantime, lamb curry is simmering away on stove.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 22:23

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default pakoras

I've made a pakora-y thing similar to Karen's suggestion (veggies were grated cabbage and turnip, though) using soy flour, and it came out fine. I pan-fried instead of deep-fried, so it was more like a pancake, but tasted good and didn't fall apart. I've made it a few times, so I don't think it was a fluke.

Rachel