Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 19:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Protien power
Stats: 261/248/175 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Hi newbie with question? Diet transition.

Howdy folks I'm not new to the forum but am a lurker in this one. I just had a few questions I'm currently following atkins and have done well. Two weeks ago I tried an all raw diet no meat just veg, nuts and fruit for a week and felt fantastic. Due to fear I went back to atkins. Recently I came across a book called The Engine 2 diet it's a vegan plan that sounds interesting just wanted to know if anyone has heard of it or tried it? If so was your transition from low carb to vegan a difficult one and have you gals/guys continued to lose weight?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 20:42
Registered Member

Plan: 180DH/W.Price/BED
Stats: 145/135/140 Female 6"
BF:
Progress: 200%
Lightbulb Nutritional Typing

Hey chubbsey1,

It's been awhile since you posted this. How's it going? Are you still on Atkins? Or did you decide to try the Engine 2 diet?

I guess there aren't many low-carbers-turned-vegan around here. I'm a near-vegitataian-turned-meat-eating-low-carber, but since I love raw foods, I thought I'd respond.

My low-carb plan, Dr. Mercola's Total Health Plan, encourages raw nuts and seeds, raw dairy products, raw vegetables, raw fruits (in controlled portions), raw eggs, and rare/raw beef and fish. Consuming these foods often, while continuing to eat a smaller amount of cooked foods (i.e. chicken, bone broth), gives me much more energy than a fully cooked food diet.

I'm going to tell you a little bit more about Dr. Mercola's plan, because I've a feeling it might be a good fit for you. It's different that most low-carb plans, as it incorprates metabolic, or nutritional, typing. There are three Types: Protein, Mixed, and Veggie. The Protein and Mixed Types require animal flesh in their diets to thrive. The Veggie Type may do well as a vegetarian, but Dr. Mercola doesn't recommend any of the types go vegan, as he says, "this is an absolute prescription for disaster."

I'm a Protein Type, and as much as I enjoy some Veggie Type foods, they just don't make me feel well. Now, I'm the only person I know personally who has tried Nutritional Typing, so I have no clue whether it works for everyone (unlikely, eh?). But supposing it does, I'd guess that you could be a Veggie or Mixed Type. In that case, Dr. Mercola writes, "If you [referring to a Veggie Type] followed an Atkins Diet you might improve initially but eventually your system would break down because it required far more carbohydrate."*

So, don't let fear keep you from enjoying raw vegetables, fruits, and nuts. If you feel great on them, that's probably your body saying, "Thank you! These are the foods I was starving for!"

Below are a few articles you might find helpful.

-- *The second quote above was taken from this article: Modify Your Diet So You Feel Teriffic by Dr. Joseph Mercola

-- Here are the food charts for the Protein Type , Mixed Type , and Veggie Type .

-- Enzymes by Sally Fallon and Mary G Enig, PhD

-- Strict Vegan Diets May Be Dangerous by Chet Day

-- The Raw Forum over at Mercola.com, might be of interest. It's fairly inactive right now, but there are some discussions, particularly those in which Traditional Nateuropath Glen Depke answers questions, I've found helpful.

Wishing you the best of health!

Last edited by Kaity : Mon, Aug-03-09 at 20:45. Reason: Veggie/Carb Type confusion
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-09, 23:29
Registered Member

BF:
Default thanks

I just want to thank you for your reply, I did give E2 shot for 28 days it wasn't terrible I enjoyed the foods and recipes but I did miss all the goodies that come with low carbing. Thank you for the links I'll take a look.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 00:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 455/224/200 Male 6-3
BF:
Progress: 91%

I did a vegetarian low-carb approach for 30 days at one time, and really succeeded at it. The problem was I was just too hungry all the time. I really had to eat a lot to stay satisfied (low calories, but high quantity, none the less). I had plenty of energy, felt great, etc.

Hope this helps...
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 13:59
Registered Member

Plan: 180DH/W.Price/BED
Stats: 145/135/140 Female 6"
BF:
Progress: 200%

Cool. It's great you gave E2 a try. It's fun to experiment, to observe how different foods affect us. Always learn lots.

It's a strange coincidence that I happened to check this thread today, partly because you just posted, and partly because I just decided I need to get back on the Protein Type plan.

I've kinda fallen off it over the summer due to the availability of delicious fresh fruits (been over-eating them this past week and feeling sick).

So did some digging around on the internet this afternoon to convince myself to get back on the plan. Ended up finding a terrific free metabolic typing test, which confirmed my Protein Type status.

I'm also re-reading the online version of Dr. Mercola's Nutrition Plan to get focused.

I noticed I didn't link to a quiz, or Dr Mercola's Plan, in my other mesage and thought they might be helpful as you explore the other articles.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-08-09, 21:43
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you for the links according to that quick quiz I am a protien type. Makes sense. So I'm trying to get back into the low carb swing of things.
Thanks again Kaity.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-08-09, 21:46
Registered Member

BF:
Default Tom

Thanks Tom,
The same I couldn't stop eating I mean I really couldn't stop eating felt ok didnt gain any wieght but my hunger was never satiated.