Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#181   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-19, 09:24
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Looks like I won't have to wait for my doctor's authorization to have another CT calcium scan done. There is now a service, working much like the Direct Labs/Request a Test online lab orders, where I can pay for a CT scan online & schedule an appointment. It does not appear to cover all areas of the US, but there are 3 locations in Virginia and one is close enough to me (and cheaper than what I paid). So here's the link:

MD SAVE - CT Calcium Scan Locations

I just had a scan done in May, so I won't be having one anytime soon. But it is nice to know that if I do decide to get another after 1 year, it doesn't have to depend on whether my doctor considers it "to soon."

Last edited by khrussva : Thu, Sep-05-19 at 10:52.
Sponsored Links
  #182   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-19, 09:53

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

A new podcast with Ivor Cummins interviewing Dr. William Davis. So many good topics covered; using the CAC, the strength of Vit D supplementation to reduce your score, Dr. Davis's skeptism about K2 (I was driving, didn't get all of this about K2, but there was a long discussion on it that surprised me) , etc.

https://thefatemperor.com/ep37-will...hronic-disease/

Dr Davis newsletter just arrived, and he wrote more about the interview...and cautions against doctors trying to "upsell" your cardiac tests.

https://blog.undoctored.com/scanned-or-scammed/
  #183   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-19, 10:56

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
Looks like I won't have to wait for my doctor's authorization to have another CT calcium scan done. There is now a service, working much like the Direct Labs/Request a Test online lab orders, where I can pay for a CT scan online & schedule an appointment. It does not appear to cover all areas of the US, but there are 3 locations in Virginia and one is close enough to me (and cheaper than I paid). So here's the link:

MD SAVE - CT Calcium Scan Locations

I just had a scan done in May, so I won't be having one anytime soon. But it is nice to know that if I do decide to get another after 1 year, it doesn't have to depend on whether my doctor considers it "to soon."

Wow, I just searched and found one at a smaller rural hospital about 30 minutes away...
I just told DH and he's all in to do it there. Me too!
Thank You Ken!!!
  #184   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-19, 11:02
Say NO to Diabetes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
A new podcast with Ivor Cummins interviewing Dr. William Davis. So many good topics covered; using the CAC, the strength of Vit D supplementation to reduce your score, Dr. Davis's skeptism about K2 (I was driving, didn't get all of this about K2, but there was a long discussion on it that surprised me) , etc.

I saw the video. It was very good. Dr. Davis did say that Vit D levels seemed to be the driver in the cases where a CAC score was reversed and he hasn't seen the same kind of results from supplementing with K2. He didn't rule out K2 as being beneficial. It may be that we are getting sufficient K2 from a whole foods LCHF diet and that getting D up the appropriate levels makes the magic happen. So maybe both still play a role. The question would be is K2 supplementation needed?

Dr. Davis did say that reducing a CAC score is common and fairly easy. He also said that it is a good thing. I was happy to hear that.

Last edited by khrussva : Thu, Sep-05-19 at 12:53.
  #185   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-19, 11:17

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

We supplement K2 and vit D3 in my family.

Blood test for D3 for son was 38. With a bit of research, thanks to the thread on this forum, we supplement at very high levels as we are in the northern latitudes, and kids are indoors most of the time.

For the first time in my life, I sailed thru the winter happy.

Dr. Lin , dentist, recommends K2 supplementation. In addition to a whole food based diet emphasizing yams instead of bread.

Seems K2 is primarily in grassfed meat and dairy products. Given my kids have one shot of growing healthy teeth, supplementing gives me peace of mind.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Thu, Sep-05-19 at 12:22.
  #186   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-19, 11:39

BF:

I just wonder.....
If more D is better, does that mean areas down south with more sun have less blockage?
I wonder if there are any studies on this?
  #187   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-19, 12:32

BF:

Great question.

Traditional diets contained more vit D than what is orovided by the sun beating on bare skin. Its in liver. Remember when we used to eat the whole hog?? Been many generations since that happened in my family tree. Mom did make us take a spoonful of cod liver yuck. Lol Most people are indoors now, no sun there.

Dr Davis confirmed my thoughts on linking high vit D and low skin cancer rates. It is preventative. Doesnt cover the effects of severe burning of the skin as in sunburn.

My mother developed melanoma cancer late in life, and then breast cancer twice. Wish she had the calcium test to see how clean her arteries are likeky to be.....though her super exposure to uv was in the first half of her life, not the last half.
  #188   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-19, 14:47

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I just wonder.....
If more D is better, does that mean areas down south with more sun have less blockage?
I wonder if there are any studies on this?

I haven't heard anything about a correlation with heart but even back in the 1960s, it was known there was less MS in the south. They didn't know why, but my DH's father gave up his Manhattan career and moved his wife and youngest daughter to Florida in hopes of delaying progression of MS. There is less breast cancer in women with Vit D above 50, so that is my minimum goal. I do my best to depend on sun for the Vit D, but as Dr. Davis said, the older we get, the harder it is to convert sun on skin into Vit D. I supplement, get sun most of the year, and test every February.
Found this study on MS, others on cancer and diabetes, but don't see one on CVD.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10871801 MS and Vit D: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed...rosis+vitamin+d

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Sep-06-19 at 02:31.
  #189   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-19, 22:46

BF:

Those are interesting facts!
Thanks Janet
  #190   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-19, 23:37

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I am/was red headed, still have the fair freckled skin. Sunburn was definitely a "thing" in my youth when I desperately thought that a burn would turn in to a tan. It never did, of course. 8 years ago, for other reasons, I had my Vit D level tested, and it was found to be very low (possibly because I had bought into the idea that fair skinned people should always use sunscreen). Over time it was brought up, and I have been a bit obsessive about keeping it up: supplements winter and summer; half strength in the summer with full body noontime sunbaths whenever practical. I am very aware of what my skin will withstand in the way of sun exposure, and haven't had a sunburn in at lest 8 years, but I also find that I can stay out in the sun somewhat longer without that telltale "tingle" since my Vit D is rather higher than officially recommended. When I was in Australia a few years ago my first purchase was sun screen; I carried it with me, but never felt a need to use it. And never got a sunburn. I'm a great believer in the benefits of Vit D on sunburn prevention.
  #191   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-19, 14:59

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I have a similar story in that I grew up on the ocean in Massachusetts and in the summer, never wore sun protection (yes, this is during the 50s and 60s), and never burned but developed a brown tan that could withstand any amount of sun whether I was out all day sailing, swimming, surfing, etc. We never thought of using sunscreen. I'm fair haired, fair skinned.

Fast forward to today, and I can go out in the sun extensively and develop nothing more than a tan. If it's early part of the warm season, I may get slightly red the first day, then it turns to tan and becomes the base that protects me for the rest of the season. I attribute this change to going VLCKD almost 8 years ago. I, too, like to get my vitamin D naturally but supplement with D3 as well. I, too, take a multi K (Koncentrated K) with ample amounts of K, K2. I believe all this is interrelated with good health, and D from the sun is best. I get a bit more nowadays living in No. Virginia, but still supplement when I'm not able to get sun with a healthy dose of D3 (5,000 IUs) from a good supplement producer. It's encouraging hearing Dr. Davis confirm the potential of reducing CAC scores. Patrick Theut is also one (a chemical engineer by trade) who has had tremendous success in this area using supplements.
  #192   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-19, 15:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I haven't heard anything about a correlation with heart but even back in the 1960s, it was known there was less MS in the south. They didn't know why, but my DH's father gave up his Manhattan career and moved his wife and youngest daughter to Florida in hopes of delaying progression of MS. There is less breast cancer in women with Vit D above 50, so that is my minimum goal. I do my best to depend on sun for the Vit D, but as Dr. Davis said, the older we get, the harder it is to convert sun on skin into Vit D. I supplement, get sun most of the year, and test every February.
Found this study on MS, others on cancer and diabetes, but don't see one on CVD.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10871801 MS and Vit D: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed...rosis+vitamin+d

Thanks Janet for mentioning the MS. I have a friend with that and he mentioned the $30K treatment he was recently offered as a twice a year management for his MS. While he would only pay out of pocket for a tiny portion, he is saying " no" to the treatment.

Gave him Dr Terry Wahl's book title and he promptly bought a kindle copy, and is devouring it. He thinks he can do that protocol. As I havent read the book < I dont know her take on Vit D. I will be sure to mention that when I see him next.
  #193   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-19, 15:22

BF:

Interesting to hear anecdotally about the reduction in sunburns due to diet.
Im very fair. ANd use caution about the sun; but dont use sunscreens anymore. As of a year ago, I ramped up vit D to 5000 units during the summer, and 10,000 for the winter. Actually as of today, upped it to winter dose.

My boys have a tint to their skin color, and tan very easily. My oldest will turn scary red, from standing on the dock fishing for hours. Usually he burns the tops of his feet. It barely hurts, and turns a nice tan. No peeling. Go figure. He is supposed to be taking a high dose of vit D..... and I wonder if that played a role.
  #194   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-19, 16:36

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I also wonder how much of the calcium deposits are due to the government pushing bovine mammary secretions (milk) and (easily oxidized) "healthy" vegetable oils in place of foods containing saturated fats and cholesterol.

I'm also a fair & freckled redhead and in addition to taking D3, eating a high fat diet with no limits on cholesterol has made my 60-something skin very supple, not dry nor easily burned like it was in my first 50 years. I too have gone ~8 yrs without sunscreen, though in the beginning of summer I do intentionally limit my first few outings to 20-30 minutes.

Vitamin D is fat soluble, so I suspect that much of the vit D in fortified skim milk and cereal in the SAD ended up being excreted rather than building healthy brains & skin.

Last edited by deirdra : Sun, Sep-08-19 at 16:50.
  #195   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-19, 21:26
Say NO to Diabetes!

As you already know, back in May I had my first follow-up CAC scan done. The results were unbelievable (almost literally). I was not provided any copies of the images as many labs do -- only the reports with the Agatston Scores were given to me through my doctor. But I wanted to see the images for myself so I requested copies of both scans on CD. It took them a while to get around to it, but I finally did receive them. Although the image slices of my heart are a bit fuzzier than I expected, I do feel better about my results. With my layman's eyes I see less calcium in the 2019 images. It looks like my 54% calcium reduction in 28 months may very well be real. Why don't you take a look for yourself?

I created a PDF with a side-by-side comparison between my 2017 and 2019 CAC scans, matching the slice of my heart as best I could. The calcium is the bright white specs. I started the sequence one slice before the first calcium appeared and ended it on slice after the last calcium appeared.

http://www.idsimis.com/lowcarber/cac-2017vs2019v3.pdf

Once loaded, flip through the pages to see each slice of my heart. So what do you think? There's no way to quantify how much calcium is there from the images, but from what I'm seeing there are fewer calcium specs on my 2019 scans. That's what I wanted to see.

BTW: I will be having a CIMT scan done next week. That is an ultrasound that measures soft plaques in the arteries of my neck. I'm hoping for good results. I'll post that info when I have it.