Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-09, 16:11

Plan: CALP since 2.16.09
Stats: 322/309/168 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hi Samina,

welcome to the board So nice to have you here.

I agree with the other posts on upping the protein and balancing the RM better. Here is an addition to the wonderful suggestions given by the other ladies:

I have noticed that the lower the starting weight is, the less the pound per pound weight loss. However, the percentage of body mass lost is about the same. For example, here is what a 5% of one's total body mass looks like:
- you 7.5 lbs.
- me 16 lbs.

However, if you stick to the CALP plan, you should be very successful. It is a wonderful plan with many health benefits.

Eliza
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-09, 18:23

Plan: -----------------
Stats: 151.5/148.0/132 Female 161cm
BF:Do I dare find out
Progress: 18%
Default Going crazy on the carbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppinn
Samina, welcome!

Most of us follow the Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program around here. It sounds as if you are following the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet, which was the first book published. - YES that's right that is the book that I read and am following- knew it was too goood to be true !

I believe that CAD can be an easy diet to follow for some people, but it would not work for me because it would be too easy for me to overeat carbs. CALP is super simple to follow because you include protein and veggies in your CMs which can keep you satisfied for hours. The RM always begins with two cups of salad and then divide your plate into thirds and include the same amount of protein, veggies, and carbs. You can have more food if you are still hungry but you must keep it balanced and add more protein, veggies, and carbs.

May I suggest you visit your local library and pick up the CALP book since the information it has to offer can be extremely helpful. The book is also available at Amazon.

I wish you well and hope the program works as well for you as it does for me!

Thanks everyone for your replys! I have reserved the book at my local library and will pick it up today....look forward to reading it.

I live in Australia btw - sydney.

I read through your journal Hoppinn... boy have i been going crazy with the carbs when compared to what you have been eating - as everyone also noticed !!

I do have one question though pls - i noticed when you have your salad before your meal that it is only romain lettuce and avacado or something similar with only one other vege in it ... is that the principles of CALP? I have all veges in my salad for my RM and only those allowed for the CM ....

I also noticed that when you have your CM at lunch you only have one type of vege with your protein and for your RM you only have one type of vege with your protein and carb eg cucumber.. again is that cause of the rules..?? Is is ok to have more variety if I want?
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-09, 18:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz
Hi Samina,

welcome to the board So nice to have you here.

I agree with the other posts on upping the protein and balancing the RM better. Here is an addition to the wonderful suggestions given by the other ladies:

I have noticed that the lower the starting weight is, the less the pound per pound weight loss. However, the percentage of body mass lost is about the same. For example, here is what a 5% of one's total body mass looks like:
- you 7.5 lbs.
- me 16 lbs.

However, if you stick to the CALP plan, you should be very successful. It is a wonderful plan with many health benefits.

Eliza

Thanks Eliza, that is what I thought, the rate of loss is slower when the starting weight is less....(I need to learn to be more patient) how much weight have people been losing per week on this plan .. anyone.. thanks!
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-09, 14:47
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
I think it is fine to have as much variety as you like. It is just easier for me to only make one veggie, but the more the merrier! I will put stuff in my salads- I just don't break it down like Teri does. Tonight my salad will have lettuce, cheese, nuts, grilled chicken, avocado, peppers, olives, onions and tomato.
HTH-
E
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-09, 16:43

Plan: CALP & Exercise
Stats: 236/129/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 111%

samina,

It is easier for me to balance my meals if I keep them simple.

When I first began following the program I would eat a small bowl of salad but now eat a large plate full. I count the cucumber as my veggie but it is added to my salad every day.

I am happy that you are getting the book because it will answer so many questions for you. Of course, if you have any questions after reading the book, please feel free to ask since there are many well informed folks here.

Good luck to you!
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-09, 20:22

hi ladies, turns out the library had reserved the wrong book for me when i went to pick ut up... go figger.. anyway, i'll have to order it online somewhere as none of the stores here sell it.

I agree that it does make it much easier and simplier to have one type of vege sometimes. I did that last night for dinner and for lunch and it was much better and less time consuming not having to chop up all the other ones....i did manage to loose 600 grams last night .... I dont think that will happen on a daily basis as it was TOM for me, but how long did it take for everyone to get to goal? what sort of loses did you have during a week?
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-09, 11:12

Plan: CALP & Exercise
Stats: 236/129/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 111%

samina,

Sorry about the book being the wrong one.

I really shouldn't be trying to answer your question about how long it took to get to goal, since I am not there yet.

I can tell you that the amount of weight I have lost in a year is fantastic. I know that I have lost over 50 lbs., and actually enjoy following my program every single day.

I feel as if I have complete control over my eating and that is extremely liberating for me.

I certainly hope this way of eating works well for you too!
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-09, 20:53

Hi Teri,

thank you for replying, you know hearing about any type of loss is so motivating to me, even if you haven't reached goal yet (you will !) and your loss so far is amazing, it really does make me want to continue because if others can do it then so can I... i agree with you when you say it is so liberating - that is the perfect word to use as that is how i feel too. Good luck!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-09, 07:25
Registered Member

Plan: CAD now CALP
Stats: 196/141/126 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 79%

hello guys

I am also following CAD - but switching to CALP when my book arrives online.

I found the CAD book in my house, its old and used but it saved my life

Although it is really easy to slip up as it mentions nothing about the protein / carb / veg balance. Just says do not binge, have a balanced feast. To most of us over weight "greedies" a feast is huge - or a huge carb fest atleast? hehe Hope not offending anyone!

When I have been following the principles of CALP I have lost 15lbs in 4 weeks. I forgot about the 1/3 balance and stopped losing, gained 1 pound.

Back on CALP as from yesterday and lost 1 lbs in one day !

Best of all, It is so satisfying!

OK peace out guys!

Deniz
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-09, 16:50

Plan: Atkins/M&E/IF?
Stats: 194/163.2/150 Female 69"
BF:37.2%/28.9%/21%
Progress: 70%

So...a question from a lurker here... Does anyone ever have the RM for lunch and the CM's for breakfast and dinner? Just curious as I've seen a few studies on carbohydrate intake late in the day. I have the original CAD book but haven't yet gotten my hands on CALP yet. Thanks...
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jun-18-09, 15:14
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi s-
to answer your question, yes. There is a CA Friends group on Yahoo and there are members who have their RM in the morning for afternoon.
There are a couple of books out that talk about this kind of plan. One I like is called "No white at night" and is a backwards version (sort of ) of CAD. You eat your carbs early in the day and have only protein and veggies at night.

HTH_
E
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-09, 13:29

Plan: CAD & LC
Stats: 203/182/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 49%

I've only followed CAD but I haven't read the CALP book yet. I'm still waiting for it to come in the mail. I'm dying to read it because it does sound like there are some changes between it and the first book. I just wonder why though? I've always been successful just following CAD so my theory is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." But I love to learn so I will definitely be reading it as soon as I get it.
Cara
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-09, 13:49
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi Cara!
CALP talks more about BALANCE in the RM-
but it just makes more sense to me. Not multiple plans- only one.
WELCOME!
E
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Aug-07-09, 02:57

Plan: Atkins now CAD
Stats: 224/195.8/160 Female 170
BF:
Progress: 44%

Hi Guys
Just thought I would sign in on this thread to say I am following CAD. It's my first week after switching from Atkins and I love it!
I have ordered CALP on ebay and will read that when it arrives.
So far, so good - down between three and four pounds on day six.
Take care
Zara xx
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Aug-07-09, 15:18
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi Zara!! Welcome!!