Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-25-01, 09:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/145/130
BF:
Progress:
Angry Need Help and Opinions for low carbing

I have been on the Atkins diet for 4 weeks now - started on April 30, 2001. I have only lost 6 pounds!! I have followed it to a "T". I have a low thyroid condition and maybe seem to think that this may be one of the problems. I walk everyday - 2-3 miles a day - I feel thinner in certain clothes but am discouraged with the amount of weight I have lost.

I have also had constipation and have had to take laxatives 3 times and they have not helped right away and I feel so bloated alot of the time.

I have been eating alot of red meat which the diet suggests but I seem to think I am at a stand still. Also, the only carbs I have had are green vegetable ones. I have had no bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, etc.... in a month and I can't understand why I have not lost more weight.

My ketosis levels remain to stay between small and moderate - it has never reached the large stage.

What am I doing wrong??

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-25-01, 09:25
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Trisha, welcome aboard!

I don't think you're doing anything wrong, and in fact, I think you're doing great! Your concern is quite understandable, and we've heard many newcomers experience the same thing, particularly those who didn't use to exercise. Did your daily walks coincide with starting your low-carbing lifestyle? Exercise builds muscle, while low-carbing burns fat. So you have a gain on one side, and a loss on the other. This is the optimum balance, simultaneous fat loss and muscle gain, lowers your fat ratio.

Have you taken body measurements? This is a more useful way to monitor your progress.

Try not to depend on laxatives, there a few alternatives such flax seeds and syllium husks, sone of our members have great recipes with those sources of fiber, and they work great

Keep up the good work!

Wa'il

#3   ^
Old Fri, May-25-01, 10:14

Plan: CKD
Stats: 245/215/130
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

Trisha,

YOUR DOING GREAT!! Don't judge yourself by others. Your body is totally unique. How much weight do you have to lose in all?
I’m on the Atkin’s diet also…and when I stall all I usually have to do is REALLY increase my fat intake. You might even want to do the Fat Fast that atkins recommends. I put bacon in green beans. I cream cheese dip on pork skins, butter on every thing. And I keep my bowls moving. This is something I feel is very important. Do what Wa'il said…it will help you ALLOT! Let me add that you need to clean yourself out completely first. If you’re already having problems… I found that adding those can make it worse. There is a product called little Carter pills…they work GREAT! Take 2 at bedtime…and only when you’re going to be home the next day. After you feel that you are no longer bloated then start taking in the syllium husks. Probably about a tablespoon at a time. I grind up the husk more then add it to sugar free orange cool aid and drink it in the morning. You can increase this as need…as long as you are having movements. Also…drink this fast…don’t let it set…it will swell. You can also add it to you Atkins shakes…But again drink it REALLY FAST! HA! I have forgotten mine before to come back and discover a solid gel shake! Ha! They recommend this as a good source of fiber and will lower you risk of colon cancer. AND DON”T FORGET THE VITAMINS AND OMEGA OILS!! REALLY IMPORTANT!!
Good Luck!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-25-01, 11:01
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Trisha, welcome to our forum

You mentioned being low thyroid -- are you being adequately treated for it?? A lot of folks are chronically UNDERtreated for this condition, because the doctors only look at the blood level of one specific thyroid hormone, and don't consider that the body may not be responding to it properly. There's some really good and up-to-date information at About.com Thyroid site Untreated and undertreated hypothyroidism will definitely slow your weight loss efforts.

The constipation problem may be a combination of things. Definitely more fiber, from vegetables and a fiber suppelement such as Wa'il and Lorraine suggested, psyllium or ground fresh flax seeds. Also, more WATER. However, chronic constipation is a frequent symptom of hypothyroidism. Whether or not there's adequate fiber and bulk in the diet, the low thyroid state causes slowed metabolism and a sluggish bowel... . What happens then is that water gets reabsorbed from the colon, and things become, um, hard as a rock. Laxatives are not a good idea, maybe for occasional use only ... even the "natural herbal" types -- senna leaf and cascara sagrada -- these work by irritating the bowel lining, causing it to spasm and ... well ... hmmm ... Anyway, it would do no harm to add a stool softener such as Docusate (Colace) ... it's not absorbed at all; it helps the stool hold onto water. It's often given to heart patients, to help preven straining, and to new Moms .. ... You may only need to take it for a few weeks or a month ... by then, your body will have adjusted to the fiber and extra fluid you're consuming.

Take care, and congrats on the 6 lbs lost so far. That's excellent!

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-25-01, 13:38

BF:
Progress:
Unhappy

Doreen,
I had my thyroid check out a couple of time. It always came back that I was okay. And I don't have too many problems losing weight. But I do have the problem with my intestines. Do you think it could be a thread problem that they haven't been able to detect...or is it just my intestines? I’m going to try what you recommend also. I drink about 3 liters a day…and I don’t take in the extra fiber I will completely lock up.
Okay that’s enough, except
THANK YOU!
Lorraine

#6   ^
Old Sat, May-26-01, 16:21
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi Lorraine, sorry your message kinda got tucked away in the list, and I missed it earlier ...

There are some folks who do test "normal" for the standard blood tests .... but are actually low thyroid (mild) .... Do check out the link to the About.com thyroid site (the link is in my post above). There's an awful lot of reading there, but it's really good. You and your doctor want to make sure that you definitely are low thyroid before starting the medication. Maybe you could print out the articles to show her (him)??

About your "sluggish intestines" .. .. I posted some ideas, and a special yoga exercise to do in another message thread, to help stimulate the bowel motion click here to read it.

Hope this helps, Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-26-01, 17:12

BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

Yes it does Doreen! Thank you so very much! I went out an bought the stole softeners today! Oh and by the way...I have your saying "you can't win if you quit playing the game" printed up and haning in my kids rooms! I JUST LOVE THAT! Talk about making stop and think! That alone has helped me deal with allot of mental struggles! Just thought I would throw that in! ha!
Lorraine