Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 11:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/135/133
BF:help?
Progress: 90%
Question Suggestions for road trip?

Im so excited about a road trip Im taking to and in Texas next month. Im still in induction, but plan on moving on to the next phase 2 weeks before the trip to make the WOL a little more road friendly.

Im just wondering if you all might have suggestions of snack type foods I could take that wouldnt require heating or cooling (my bonbel cow cheese will melt!). Im thinking of beef jerkey or slim jims...but the salt.

On the OWL phase I will be able to take nuts and seeds so that is going to be a big help and maybe I could take some radishes.... Anyone else have an idea I havent thought of yet?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 11:45

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Few questions...... and btw...we are cooling off here so the heat next month won't be so bad

1) how long of a road trip are you going to be on?
2) Are you taking an ice chest with you?

I am sure you will be eating on the road, so that shouldn't be a problem.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 11:55
Registered Member

The road trip wont be too long - about 1 week and a half. Once we get to restaurants (and staying in this great B&B in San Antonio!) it wont be bad. Im just a 10x a day eater! LOTS of small meals in between and I dont want to freak out for those spaces of 4-5 hours in a car with nothing to munch on. Would realy like NOT to take an ice chest if I can.

Im so glad its cooling down! Although that will mean I will miss the bats in Austin hehe.

Oh, I just thought of the "usual Texas road trip food" (for me) - Chicharonies! (Duh)

Agonycat, - just curious - how do you like the Dallas area? Are you a native or transplant? Im considering taking some time on this road trip to scope out the job climate as there maybe a relocation in the works! Im working on teaching community college and ant to check out a couple of schools during my vacation. Multitasking! hehe
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 12:08

I grew up here in Dallas. Currently the job market is pretty sad. I have been looking for work since June of this year. Not much in the way of IT/Telecom jobs or general office type temporary jobs. Not sure on the teacher market. I have ex co-workers that have been out of work since last October that still haven't landed anything. I am willing to do pretty much anything at this point.

It's getting to the point where we might end up losing our house if I don't find something pretty soon.

Since you aren't wanting to take an ice chest probably best munchie foods would be nuts/seeds, jerky maybe some celery or that type. Just something to munch on between cities/towns would probably get you through most of it

Hope you enjoy your trip and good luck in your re location search
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 12:17
Registered Member

Agony,

Celery! Hadnt thought of that - in fact its an item I keep forgettig to get at the grocery store too! lol

Im so sorry to hear about your job situation. SO many of close friends have been affected:middle management and down, along with telecommunicatinos. A bad time for all. Wish you luck finding something. Something has to change sooner or later. (Now would be a good time, eh?!)

Ah, a long term resident of Texas. You probably arent even phased with the humidity!

Thanks for your feedback!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 14:24

Quote:
Originally posted by Lebette

Ah, a long term resident of Texas. You probably arent even phased with the humidity!

Thanks for your feedback!

Humidity? What's that? Houston has humidity....Dallas has droughts.

Only time we have humidity is when it rains....which we haven't had any of that in ummm month or two? I can't remember it's been so long