Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-20, 16:20

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniggle
Smart BMI seems much better, providing a more realistic range, age adjusted. The mirror, however, never lies.

Especially if it is a random, unexpected mirror in some public place - those NEVER lie!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Sep-28-20, 06:53

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniggle
Smart BMI seems much better, providing a more realistic range, age adjusted.

What is "smart" BMI?
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Sep-28-20, 07:04
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

When I read the question, I googled it and came up with a good explanation. The website also has a calculator. Pleased to say that according to this, I'm in a perfect space.
https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/why-sbmic.html
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Sep-28-20, 09:07

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Why should it be age adjusted? I feel like it gives a pass to the whole health system.
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Sep-28-20, 15:22

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
When I read the question, I googled it and came up with a good explanation. The website also has a calculator. Pleased to say that according to this, I'm in a perfect space.
Interesting calculator. According to the "smart" BMI calculator they say I am merely overweight rather than obese, LOL.

But I added the rest of the Quiz information about goal weight, current diet, etc. Their calculator doesn't take into account weight already lost and seems to assume that I'm weight-stable, telling me, for example:
Quote:
At this weight level, you are at risk of gaining more weight. If you manage to maintain your current weight, you have reached your first and most important goal. Weight loss should only take the second place...

Your weight target is in the right direction but very ambitious. A fast weight loss of 50 pounds/kilograms could be the initial phase of a yo-yo effect. It may be safer to try 14 pounds first, stabilize on the level of 211 pounds and then set a new target, if this seems sensible...

Low-carb diets may help to reduce body weight and improve blood sugar and lipid levels. However, in contrast to a Mediterranean diet, low-carb diets are much less sustainable. Moreover, they likely increase disease and mortality risk, despite short term improvement of some risk factors. If you want to stop dieting, do it step by step.
No thank you. I currently have no interest in stopping dieting.
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Sep-28-20, 18:32

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

The SBMI said I am in the "normal" weight range, but because of my diet (LC/keto) I will be underweight. No I won't, and if the diet were not sustainable, how did I get here and maintain my weight for several years when I was never able to maintain my weight on the Mediterranean or any other diet?

I played around with the calculator and subtracted 30 yrs from my age, and my SBMI was higher, so they appear to believe the dogma that gaining weight as you age is "normal". It is now common, but is it optimal?

Last edited by deirdra : Mon, Sep-28-20 at 18:49.
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Sep-29-20, 01:14

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Same here, it seemed really concerned that I wanted to lose more weight.

But I was 120 lbs only 6 years ago and I felt better without 10 extra pounds, and believe me I was nowhere near skin and bones.

They can take a long walk off a short pier.
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Sep-29-20, 06:03

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger

Thanks for this Bluesinger.

After entering all the data requested, I calculated my BMI which is identical to the results from every other BMI calculation I have ever used. Based simply on height/weight.

It is the interpretation that differs.

According to this website I am at the weight I need to be for my age and health - no further weight loss needed. Unlike all other BMI interpretations that suggest I lose a further 40 pounds.

So what is so "smart" about this calculation as the results are identical to all other BMI calculations?

Last edited by Benay : Tue, Sep-29-20 at 06:15.
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Sep-29-20, 07:09

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I tried it and was told, among the same things others have mentioned about "negatives" of low carb, that my current weight is fine as in losing more weight would not make me any healthier than I am at present weight. Thank-you whoever you people are who came up with this thing! I'm so sick of being told "you're too fat! Lose weight! Lots of it!" Yes, I'll still be allowing myself to be influenced by cultural constructs of feminine beauty (trying to look thin) and thus still try to lose more weight, but it's so nice to hear someone say I'm fine the way I am and am not harming my health. I believe in my case their analysis is actually correct that I am healthy at my present weight and would likely not gain further health benefits with more weight loss. Typical height/weight charts and other recommendations say I as well should weigh about 40 pounds less than I currently do, and even worse are recommendations to weigh as a mature adult "as much as you did in high school" because I was sedentary (pre-fitness boom era), under-muscled skinny and under-eating to stay that way because, hey, isn't that what girls were supposed to do? While I'd still like to ditch another 20 pounds for looks, I'm a lot fitter and well-muscled than I ever was back then, consuming plenty of healthy protein and not constantly hungry trying to be thin like yesteryear. So I just appreciate these people's little pat-on-the-back saying I'm doing fine.
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Sep-29-20, 07:14

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Folks sure do get defensive and wrapped around the axle about simple tools, that one can choose to use or not, can disregard at their leisure.

I brought it up because the normal weight range that the BMI suggested for me is crazy, with 140 being the bottom of the acceptable range (after Ranger school I was 150 and skin and bone).
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Sep-29-20, 09:07

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Sorting out coins. You have a screen that lets dime sized coins through. That leaves the remaining coins at a higher risk of being dollar coins. Repeat with nickels, quarters... it doesn't have to perfectly isolate what you're looking for, but you do have to do further screening.
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-20, 11:21

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Why should it be age adjusted? I feel like it gives a pass to the whole health system.

The same weight on a woman at 25 looks a whole lot different from the same woman at 60. I would look skeletal now if I weighed what I did at 25. Also, women's bodies naturally put on more weight around the middle during menopause. Some women escape this, but most women experience it.

I do like how the smart BMI says I'm mildly overweight rather than obese. I know I carry too much fat on me, but I have never felt "obese."
  #58   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-20, 13:43

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
The same weight on a woman at 25 looks a whole lot different from the same woman at 60. I would look skeletal now if I weighed what I did at 25. Also, women's bodies naturally put on more weight around the middle during menopause. Some women escape this, but most women experience it.

I do like how the smart BMI says I'm mildly overweight rather than obese. I know I carry too much fat on me, but I have never felt "obese."

The smart BMI website points out women tend to gain (and often are unable to lose) weight from pregnancies; been there, done that myself. Also that old people with some fat reserves tend to fare better when illness strikes, that sort of thing. So I don't know if they're right but they do explain it under the section on why body fat is useful (or whatever it was called).