Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 11:40

Plan: zone
Stats: 197/195.5/164 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 5%
Unhappy Am I making it too hard? Zonecoach!

Hi all! I am brand new to this. I have read almost everything on Zoneperfect.com But I either missed something or this is too hard for me......
When making my breakfast Ithis Am I had a hard time equaling out the blocks. I had Oatmeal for my carbs but it also had fat and protien. I had Veggie sausage links for protien that also had fat. So I am getiing #'s like 1.3, .7 etc. This seems very tedious to get equal parts. Am I only supposed to go with the dominant nutrient? AGGGH!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 18:42
Contributing Member

Plan: Zone
Stats: 150/142/136 Female 5' 5.5"
BF:30%/26%/23%
Progress: 57%

Hula,
I thought I'd post a reply for you so there'd be something here until the Zonecoach had a chance to catch up with you (she has been very helpful to me). But I don't want you to get discouraged with this great plan. The key is to go for the dominant nutrient block. Dr. Sears has it figured this way for us. Yes, there may be some fat and protein in the oatmeal. Just count it as one or more blocks of carbs and match with your sausages for your protein block(s). He already has the fat in the sausages figured in unless they're extremely high in fat. Same thing with the fat. Say, for example, you use nuts for fat. They also have some protein in them. Don't worry about it. Just use the appropriate amount to make up the number of fat blocks you're aiming for.

Keep in mind that after a few weeks on the Zone, you'll have some basic meal patterns which you know and on which you can depend. Keeping records will help you build that set of meals and menus even sooner. Then it doesn't feel as though you're crunching the numbers all the time. Soon you'll be zoning along with only an occasional need to consult the plan basics to be sure you're still accurate or when you want to add a new meal or menu.

I haven't used zoneperfect so know nothing about it, but I do know that there is an enormous amount of info in the books. I like Mastering the Zone, but many like A Week in the Zone. Amazon.com has a section where you can look for used books which are very cheap (and sometimes although they say "used" they are offered totally new for incredibly low prices.

Good luck to you. And I'm sure the Zonecoach'll get back to you soon. I didn't in any way intend to intrude on her answer to you-----just to offer some encouragement in the meantime. Good luck! Happy LCing!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 20:45

BF:
Default Really? Well then....

That makes it MUCh easier. Thank you so much for replying. I was feeling lonely;-) I still am worried though b/c other people talk about counting all the nutrients in one single item. But I see you are losing...so it must work the way you do it. Anyway, it is a well balanced, healthy way of eating. I am really wishing I had some lacto-vegetarian recipes or menu plans...That then would be a breeeze. Any idea where I can get that? Just to save time. I see some people have joined EDiets using the Zone diet. I wonder if that would be a waste of $ or a real time saver. Thanks again for your reply and info. Anything else you would like to share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks~*~*~*~*~
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 22:24

Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulahula
Hi all! I am brand new to this. I have read almost everything on Zoneperfect.com But I either missed something or this is too hard for me......
It can be very overwhelming at first, especially when you're trying to read and absorb everything in the books and on the sites.
Quote:
I had Oatmeal for my carbs but it also had fat and protien. I had Veggie sausage links for protien that also had fat. So I am getiing #'s like 1.3, .7 etc. This seems very tedious to get equal parts. Am I only supposed to go with the dominant nutrient? AGGGH!!!

As Dr. Sears says, it would take a mini calculator in our brains to continuously figure out every single macronutrient. There are few food items which are considered "combo-foods". Basically, those are soy (like tofu) and dairy (milk, yogurt, etc.). The proteins found in plant based items are not well absorbed by our bodies (only about 70%), not to mention, they are not "complete" proteins. To simplify things, the majority of foods are categorized as either; protein, carb or fat. Please be aware nuts and nut butters are considered fat. Beans / legumes are considered carb (remember to subract fiber to get the count). The fat does not need to be counted in LEAN protein sources, however, conversely, do not add fat to a higher fat cut of meat (like a NY strip steak).

There is no need to go overboard trying to figure every little thing. The longer you do this, the clearer your head becomes making it easier to make adjustments to fit you. On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with being precise and counting everything, as lisalaura likes to do. Either way is acceptable and will give you success. Quite frankly, all that math makes my brain hurt! It took me a long time to reach the point of being "middle of the road" with accuracy.
Happy Zoning!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 22:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalizbet
I'm sure the Zonecoach'll get back to you soon. I didn't in any way intend to intrude on her answer to you-----just to offer some encouragement in the meantime.

Thanks for jumping in. I have been out of town for a few days. I also appreciate it when others do offer advice. It keeps everyone participating and learning. If I note an error or mis-understanding in a response/post, I will offer a correction.

How's your journey going? Continuing to lose?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 04:17
Contributing Member

Hi, Zonecoach! Thanks for asking! I am feeling better physically since making the adjustments you suggested (adding a few chickpeas to the salad since I never could get it up to 3 cups) for example. But my weight loss has stalled as it always seems to about this point. Almost 3 weeks into the diet my progress has been to drop 6 pounds in the first week, gain back two, and then lose one of them. Now I haven't seen the scale budge for a week. I know that at my age and stage in life (almost 56) it is unrealistic to expect that I'll go faster------but I do. I'm not working out heavily (haven't gotten the weights into the program yet) but I do walk at least once a day despite the foot pain problems I'm having. What's so discouraging is that I'm close to a spot where all my working clothes will fit----around 140 (though I'd like to get to my goal) and I have a birthday, a short vacation, and a foot surgery coming up and then I have to go back to work (I'm a teacher). I had so hoped to make enough progress that I could be a little more relaxed foodwise (I don't mean a giant binge-----just a couple pieces of pizza one day) on my vacation----and still get back to maintaining my weight loss around the reduced activity post surgery. I have been posting my eating plan to my journal here (gave up Fitday since it doesn't really help much with the Zone----at least for me). So, if you get a chance to take a look, I'd appreciate it. I have gone off all my medications (not fun during allergy season), given up almost all artificial sweeteners except stevia------I really miss my occasional glass of diet soda, too, so it's a hardship. I've hunted for every hidden carb, stayed to almost completely favorable carbs-----although I did add a 9 carb diet fudgesicle the last couple of days, but figured it into the plan. And none of it makes my progress any more rapid. I've been re-reading the Zone books and Dr. Sears says 1 to 1-1/2 pounds per week of fat is all I can expect to lose, but I'm not even seeing one and it's been my past experience that the fat is usually bound up with enough water that a 2 pound loss per week at this calorie level is not too much to expect.

I know my sense of desperation is out of proportion to the seriousness of the problem, but I feel it nonetheless. Suggestions would be welcome. In the meantime, I'm just keeping on keeping on.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 09:51

BF:
Question Another Q for Zonecoach

Thanks for the info. So I can do it either way, I guess. Here is one thing I am not sure of though....What is considered "lean protein" I ask b/c I only eat soy products as my protien source, and a little cheese. I am eating soy at every meal. I am a lacto-vegetarian. I actually can not eat cottage chhese or drink milk either. So that leaves me with Soy, cheese, and m/b yogurt. Since this is mya huge part of my diet, and you say they are combination foods, I really want to make sure I am counting whatever should be counted.... Here are some examples of some of my soy products and their mini-block counts...
1. One Morningstar veggie sausage 1 fat / 0 carb / 1.4 protein Would I count the fat?

2. " " Veggie bacon strips 1.5 fat / 0 carb / .3 protein Would this even be considered a protein? or would it be a fat?

3. " " Veggie Buffalo wings 3 fat/ 2 carbs / 1.7 protein See my confusion? I think this should have staryed in the grocery store m/b (maybe).

4." " Garden Veggie Patty .8 fat / 1 carb / 1.4 protein So it is a protein, but do I count the carb or fat?

5. Tofu with 1.5 or 3 fat and 1 protein would be counted as both fat and protein I presume?

I hope this isn't too much for you. I am just a little overwealmed with trying to create equal nutrients at each meal.
Another thing....Really, with peanut butter...you don't count the protein???
Thanks so much for your help. I have heard of some people joining Ediets to get help with the Zone. DO you know anything about it? I wonder if it would help a lot with meal planning. Thanks again, and sorry for so much. As you can see I am boggled
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 13:49

Quote:
(though I'd like to get to my goal) and I have a birthday, a short vacation, and a foot surgery coming up and then I have to go back to work (I'm a teacher). I had so hoped to make enough progress that I could be a little more relaxed foodwise (I don't mean a giant binge-----just a couple pieces of pizza one day) on my vacation----and still get back to maintaining my weight loss around the reduced activity post surgery.
I can understand the urge to reach the goal prior to an event. You just feel so much better about yourself; more confident when you know you're where you want to be. I just got back from Vegas ~ 4 days ~ 4 pounds! It will probably take me longer than 4 days to get back, but it felt good while I was there!
Quote:
I have been posting my eating plan to my journal here (gave up Fitday since it doesn't really help much with the Zone----at least for me). So, if you get a chance to take a look, I'd appreciate it.
I did take a quick look and will look closer when I have a chance. Nothing stood out like a huge red flag. Perhaps the fat (a little short), but I'll have to look closer. I have to trust you (and others) to know how to Zone a meal and follow labels. If you're sure on the counts, I have to trust that since I don't have time to research "soy sausages" for instance.
Quote:
I have gone off all my medications (not fun during allergy season), given up almost all artificial sweeteners except stevia------I really miss my occasional glass of diet soda, too, so it's a hardship.
I can understand that, however, the longer you go without, the easier it will be and you'll get to the point of not even missing it. Conversely, if you gotta have it, go for it. It's not the worst thing in the world. I believe Diet Rite is sweetened with Splenda ~ very acceptable. Not sure of the taste...
Quote:
none of it makes my progress any more rapid.
Perhaps it's time to try dropping a carb and adding fat ~ to get you past this plateau. There are some other things too (not exactly within Zone rules) that might help. Let me look closer at your stats later and get back to you.
Quote:
I know my sense of desperation is out of proportion to the seriousness of the problem, but I feel it nonetheless.
Not to worry. I, and others can totally relate.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 14:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulahula
Thanks so much for your help. I have heard of some people joining Ediets to get help with the Zone. DO you know anything about it? I wonder if it would help a lot with meal planning. Thanks again, and sorry for so much. As you can see I am boggled

Just letting you know I'm not ignoring your questions. I'll get back to you , hopefully late this eve re: your soy dilema. As far as ediets goes...sorry ~ can't help you there. IMO, it's best to learn the basics by doing things yourself so you're better prepared for the long haul. Kinda like math. Learn how to do things the long way before using a calculator.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 14:56
Contributing Member

Thanks, Zonecoach! I have seen some progress if not on the scale. BF is down another 2% as of last night, and my clothes are telling me I'm losing-----wearing pants I haven't been in for months. I may begin by just adding a little more fat; I think you're right that I might be a little low there. Then, if I don't see progress I'll try the switcheroo you described re drop one, add one. In the meantime, when you get settled back from vacation, you can tell me about the other plateau busters. Hope your vacation was wonderful! I'm glad you understand that a life that doesn't allow me at least a minor easing three or four days a year isn't a reasonable choice. I was afraid you'd tell me I had to never go off the zone for any reason at all. Anyway, I'm keeping the faith and feeling somewhat encouraged. Appreciate your time and support.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 19:51
Contributing Member

Zonecoach, thought I'd jump back on here to report that I have been reading through your old posts and saw the details on the drop one add one approach. Also was reminded of what I'd forgotten about the arachidonic acid in the egg yolks. I've been re-reading in the books again (remember, I started this years ago) but had missed that. So, I'm about half way through the posts and have a very impatient kid waiting for the net, but will continue to educate myself from past postings to save you time for the new questions. Lots of answers to my questions are showing up for me, plus I can't wait to try the fudge.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 00:14

Quote:
Zonecoach, thought I'd jump back on here to report that I have been reading through your old posts and saw the details on the drop one add one approach. Also was reminded of what I'd forgotten about the arachidonic acid in the egg yolks.

I'm glad you brought this up because it was something I was going to mention. After looking at your journal, here are some things that stand out somewhat. Don't get me wrong; it's looking pretty darn good, but you're at that sticky point (just a few more stubborn lbs.) where you want a little kickstart. You mentioned earlier your clothes are fitting better. That's a great sign and and vivid reminder it's not all about the scale.

Here are my few suggestions. Cut back on the fruit, especially after noon-3pm. Replace with low glycemic veggies and perhaps a small amount of higher ones like beans, legumes, sweet potato. Replace those egg yolks with whites and the fat (from the yolks) with olive oil. The midday snack is important. Have a 1/2 of a bar if you need something quick. Just don't skip it. How long inbetween meals and snacks? Are you eating within 1 hour of waking & before going to bed? Are you getting at least 64-75 ounces of water per day? Lastly, a reminder about fat (oh, btw, walnuts are not on the favorable list). A fat block is a full 3 grams. It is assumed your LEAN protein source has 1.5 grams per block. HOWEVER, you're eating alot of NON-FAT protein. Depending on which guide you're following, a fat block might be listed as 1.5 or 3 (I know ~ confusing). So, if you're eating a NON-FAT protein, make sure you add 3 grams of fat per block.

I hope this makes sense.

Oh, what is your exercise level at? Are you certain you should be on 11 blocks?
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 04:39
Contributing Member

Hi, Zonecoach,
Finally got a chance after a very hectic day yesterday to get back to answer your post.
Giving up the fruit will be hard----I don't mind the sacrifice if it means losing the weight, but I'll just have to build some new plans without it, especially since I've been eating cottage cheese w/fruit for lunch every day forever (it seems). I'll begin working toward it, 'cause I am dead stuck at this weight and getting mad. I do drink all my water, religiously.
I know the walnuts aren't on the favorable list but thought I could have unfavorable choices as long as I don't let them dominate. Will switch to almonds while trying to lose and use my walnuts again when I'm at maintenance. I just keep reading that they have such good fats in them; and they are something I crave----who knows why.
I'm pretty sure 11 blocks is where I belong. I figure (using two different methods----the book and the Tanita scale) I have about 105-107 1b. of LBM. I figure my activity level at .7: I walk 30 minutes at 4. mph or better most days of the week. And other than that, I am either sitting at work (I'm on what is supposedly summer vacation, as a teacher, but which actually has ended up being schoolwork both in school at meetings and workshops or schoolwork at home on the computer), or gardening, painting, house projects at home. I'm not a couch potato type; tend to still be busy with something into the evening etc., but not real athletic either.
You mentioned posting some menus of your own; I'll keep looking for them as I continue reading through the back postings. That might give me some new inspirations on how to emphasize the veggies and reduce the fruit. In the meantime, I'm going to drop one carb and add a fat for a few days. If that doesn't get things going --- 'cause I've already tried adding a second 30 minute walk here and there when I could get it into the schedule----I may try a fat fast for a few days. What's your opinion on that, or do you have other suggestions that might work. Because, essentially, I weigh today exactly what I did after the first 5 days of getting back on the Zone program several weeks ago. Ughh!
Thanks!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 06:04
Contributing Member

Hi, Zonecoach, it's me again. I just figured out something else I may be doing wrong that's throwing my balance off: I have been weighing cooked weight rather than raw. Can you tell me how you deal with this raw weight thing? I am often dealing with already cooked meat: you mentioned cooking up a quantity to help with management. Is there a formula for figuring out how much to reduce when meat is cooked? Maybe I'm getting way too much protein as a result of figuring cooked instead of raw. thanks
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 20:49
Contributing Member

One more message, Zonecoach. Just finished working my way through the 233 posts and have now done my homework-----here, at least. It was a fascinating journey; no wonder you get tired of saying the same thing over and over! Plus, I ran afoul of a rather cranky Atkins vs. Zone interaction and the fascinating fructose discussion. Took a while, but I learned a lot. All the weight training chat might even inspire me to get back downstairs to my smith machine and free weights. That would be a miracle. I found the post with your menus, so you don't have to bother reposting as I had asked above. I sure appreciate your working with us on this forum.