Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 09:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/144/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Close Call!

I had a very close call on Saturday! I have previously posted that when on Induction (and even on OWL) I have, in the past, had episodes of low blood sugar. Once I went on Maintenance in October 2003 they stopped (of course!). Well, since I have decided to do Induction again to lose 10 more pounds, I have had several low blood sugar episodes. But none so bad as that on Saturday! I was very busy Saturday morning and (stupid me!) I didn't have breakfast. I went to the gym and to get my nails done and didn't return until about 2:00 P.M. After I returned I started to feel ill. I knew it was vital that I eat something. I had gone to the produce store to buy some vegetables (celery, etc.) and still had them in the car. I also had some lunch meat (roast beef). I began eating these very quickly. They didn't help. I found myself stopping at the bagel shop and almost went in. Somehow I was able to stop myself. I got home and began cooking some food. The problem was that I had forgotten that wehen I have these low blood sugar reactions all I want to do is eat, eat, eat! I craved sweets sooo bad! I even had some in my hand. By the grace of God I was able to stop myself.

Anybody else ever have these reactions? And, if so, what do you do? I am determined to lose these 10 pounds by the end of May (for a wedding). I hate these reactions almost as much as I hate being fat!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 09:33

Stats: 188/180/160 Female 5' 4''
BF:Next Mini Goal:175
Progress: 29%

First, Congrats on your loss thus far!!!

I should pay more attention to my blood sugar but I don't. I do however want to applaud you for your will power. This is exactly what this WOE provides me with, more control. I think that if you stick to it, you can loose more weight but from what you wrote before, I would definitely suggest that you remember to eat breakfast and maybe even keep some low carb snacks in your car, like nuts or a morning start breakfast bar. That way, if you are on the run, you will still have another choice other than bagels.

Best wishes!!! You can do it!!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 10:23

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

As a rule, I tend to neglect how much time has elapsed between meals. When my mother was hospitalized and had a 50/50 chance of making it, I let 11 hours elapse without ingesting food or water. I had an hour long drive home late at night when my blood sugar crashed giving me sever symptoms that managed to frighten the heck out of me. I had an apple in my car. I ate half of it as I did not want to have too drastic an insulin reaction. After driving three more miles, I felt better. Five miles later, I felt normal again. The half an apple corrected the low blood sugar with lightening speed, yet without putting me into an excess insulin reaction. I now tend to keep an apple in the car whenever I think I might need it, just in case. I'm sure a very small amount of dried apple in a ziplock bag would keep indefinitely in your glove compartment. It could keep you going until you can eat properly. For me, the result was immediate.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 08:18

Plan: Mostly General
Stats: 235/235/170 Female 5 ft 4
BF:
Progress: 0%

Wow, no wonder you have the desire to eat. That's what triggers hunger is the drop in blood sugar. I have the same problem, but thankfully I've not passed out from it (yet). Usually I just get a headache or naucous.

Eating LC though has brought everything back in balance.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 10:46
Registered Member

Stats: 155/110.5/110 Female 64in
BF:15%
Progress: 99%
Default Congrats

What you did is soooo hard and I think you should really commend yourself for being so unbelievably strong. Congratulations on an awesome exercise of willpower- Idon't know if I woul dhave been able to do it!!! I for one, have been known to binge on the worst.stuff.ever! just for reasons like : weight loss not fast enough, at plateau, or boredom itself.