Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-04-04, 18:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default 2-minute brownie [Carbquik]

I just invented this quick and easy single serving brownie! It's fabulous! Mix it and cook it right in the bowl you'll eat out of!

Ingredients:

1/4C Carbquik
1/4C SF Syrup (I used half Peppermint and half vanilla)
Some milk, cream, or half & half (maybe 2T)
2T unsweetened cocoa powder
A bit of sugar free chocolate, chopped with a knife until it is small chunks (has sugar alcohol) (I used maybe 1/2 an ounce or less -- next time I'll try unsweetened)

Mix together Carbquik and cocoa quite well, use the back of a spoon to break up any lumps.

Add 1/4C syrup and mix well. If it becomes too doughy, add in enough milk to make it less doughy and more like pancake batter.

Add in the chocolate chunks and stir again.

Microwave for about 2 minutes. The chocolate chunks will be melted on the bottom. It reminded me of a chocolate lava cake or brownie. Eat it hot!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-04, 12:59
Experimenter

BF:

I'm still experimenting with this recipe. Last night I used some Lindt 85% chocolate in place of the chocolate with sugar alcohols and I used slightly less syrup. It came out a lot less sweet, but I think I'd prefer it a little more sweet.

Another experiment will be using just a little unsweetened chocolate and a bit more syrup.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-04, 07:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/154/155 Male 71
BF:18%+/14%/12%
Progress: 103%

Thanks, Nancy! I will give this a try. I may make my own chocolate chips using melted baking chocolate mixed with Splenda and then flash-freezing it.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-04, 09:50
Experimenter

BF:

I hope it works, Geo!

I used unsweetened chocolate last night and it worked out fine. I just added a little bit more Da Vinci syrup so it would sweeten the chocolate. In fact, I am finding its a really good idea to make sure the mixture is a little on the more liquid side than the dry side so that it comes out more like lava cake.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-04, 13:27

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Well, YUMMY!!! Haven't tried it yet, but I sure am going to, tonight.. Wonder how a bit of all natural peanut butter swirled through the batter (at the end) would be? Think I'll try it.... Thanks, Nancy!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-04, 05:34

Stats: 268/200/190 Male 5'9
BF:28%/14%/8%
Progress: 87%

I sooo need some Carbquick.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-04, 13:16
Experimenter

BF:

Peanut butter sounds good too! I think I'm going to make a mocha brownie sometime, I'll add some instant coffee crystals to the wet stuff and dissolve them.

Last night I tried a variation which reminded me of bread pudding. I used a combination of CQ and flax meal (I need a little extra fiber if you know what I mean) and I mixed in some dried, unsweetened coconut. Then I added enough SF coconut and vanilla syrup and low carb milk to get it kind of soupy.

Then I microwaved it for 2 minutes, until it was quite moist but cooked. It was wonderful! True comfort food.

Unfortunately though, I used a bowl that was a little too small though and it bubbled over in the microwave.

I wonder if I could make a spice cake like one or gingerbread?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-09-04, 16:36
Registered Member

Plan: my own customized plan
Stats: 143/116/122 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default nix the atkins bake mix?

I really want to try this recipe - I am a brownie addict, and I recently found out that the pre-packaged brownies that I used to buy are significantly higher in calories and carbs than they reported (damn low carb emporium!). So now I'm going to stick to making everyhting myself.

Anyway, I usually use Atkins Bake Mix when baking, but I've been told that Carbquick makes everything turn out better - less spongy. Is this true? Also, where can I get Carbquick; is it only available online? I prefer to buy things personally rather than online.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-09-04, 21:35
Experimenter

BF:

www.carbalose.com has links to where you can find their product. Most people order it from Netrition I think. I haven't used the Atkins Bake Mix, but I hear from people that CQ just tastes a lot better.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 21:15
sr5

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I tried this tonight and it was really good. I used SF caramel and topped it with whipped cream.
Thanks!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 10:49

Nancy, have you heard about the MiniCarb chocolate bars? I tried both the dark and milk chocolate (they are sugar alcohol FREE!) and found them comparable to Hershey chocolate bars! I just ordered a case of the dark chocolate ones. http://www.netrition.com/minicarb_c..._bars_page.html
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 10:42

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 248/231/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Carbquick

I can't believe Carbquick is low carb. I made the cheddar biscuits last night and they are truly wonderful! I can't stand soy flour but these have no after taste!

I am having trouble finding recipes and do not have their web address. Can someone help me please?

I started LCing again 2 weeks ago and with all the choices this time around (unlike 4 years ago when it was a 'fad') at the grocery stores, it's much easier.

I cook a LOT and can't wait to experiment with Carbquick!

Thanks in advance for any help.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 13:14

Sadly it appears that Carbalose has temporarily lost control of www.carbalose.com. In the meantime, you can reach their recipe page at: http://www.tovaindustries.com/Carbalose/recipes.html
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 13:55

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Mmm this sounds yummy. Will give it a try. I think I have SF white chocolate syrup at home...
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-05, 09:53

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 248/231/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default CarbQuick

Thanks Geo, for the info. Not much there I'm afraid.
I'm going to try to create a pecan/cinnamon/Splenda sort of muffin tomorrow. I miss that sort of thing.