Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 09:51

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default When does Middle-age Begin

I'm 58 years old and I'm still convinced that I'll get to be middle-aged in another 5 years or so. Should I bit the bullet and admit that my graying hair, receding hairline, assorted wrinkles, bifocals and mailings from AARP may be signs that I have passed the boundary into middle agedness?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-05, 21:40
Registered Member

Plan: Meat & Eggs
Stats: 243/206.8/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Well, if you are going to live to be 240, you haven't hit middle age yet.

Since you would need to live to 116 for 58 to be the "middle," I'd say, "Yes...admit it. Just don't be depressed by it. Getting "older" sure beats dying young....doesn't it?

So...enjoy life...feel good about yourself, and be proud of your years of experience and wisdom. I do and I am.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-05, 20:18

What is wrong with living to be 240? Methuselah lived to be 969 and he never complained! How about I admit to being 'young middle-aged'?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 13:21
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 369/350/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 9%

I think middle age starts when you want it too. Heck if I went by gray hair I would have hit it in high school when mine started turning gray. Now at 55, almost 56, gray hair, glasses and a cane I still feel 26. I look 56 and some might even say older, some have said younger but it's really a state of mind and oh the state my mind is in.....
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 13:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 276/249/125 Female 5'4"
BF:of course
Progress: 18%

A former student told me I was middle age, I was only 34 at the time. I guess if I only live to 68 I'm middle age. I still feel like a teenager, a wiser more mature teenager. My children are young and I work with young adults. I'm not much older than they are untill they make comments like that. My students keep getting younger and I older, oh well. You're as young as you feel.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 14:10
I'm your Huckleberry

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 262/234/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 22%

The older I get, the higher the number for being middle aged becomes!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-19-05, 19:43

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

As one of the first of the Baby Boom generation, I reject labels! "Middle age" only means a number somewhere in the middle of life. It isn't a lifestyle. I do embrace it at ticket windows. If the senior discount starts at 55, I'll take it. Thanks.

The main problem is: I work in an office filled with kids who weren't even a glimmer when I started working there. They probably think I'm old. And even wise. Little do they know. Between the ears, I'm still 23, the "new kid"--and having more fun than they are.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-06, 18:44

Plan: self-designed
Stats: 216/189/190 Male tad under 6'
BF:
Progress: 104%

When I was in my 40s I felt young and fit and when I hit my 50s I still felt that way but I almost never survived my 50s. The cumulative effect of a vegetarian diet took its toll when I had to have a quadruple by-pass aged 60. During this decade I had a few other .....etomies connected to catabolism!

Between 60 and 65 I was waiting to die until I discovered that the medication I was given was almost killing me and made me feel awful. My own studies and intervention into my own medical care brought in its wake a remarkable cure to which my GP is aware but doesn't accept! In the past 10 years I have been reborn and it is all connected to improvement to my diet and a few choice off-label medications of my own.

From that experience and that of observation of the health and ages of others I would suggest that early old age begins around the mid 50s and advanced old-age around the mid 70s but middle-age, whatever that is, had no effect on me except a little greying and a shiny top that never seemed to distract contemporary females. It is probably correct to say that you cannot hold back the clock but you sure can slow it down!

In a few short days I will be 75 and as I keep mentioning in my posts, I feel fit and do not suffer from any aches nor pains; I still do the occasional workout, and on the more intimate side, I continue to have a healthy libido and continue to feel that I have a future or to put those sentiments in another way; I am not old, just long-lived! Since I had my cardiac operation I guess that I have heart problems which may subsequently take me out but presently that doesn't feel likely so my quality of life is excellent.

My only problem is with my daughters who insist on worrying about my age! So far I have out-lived a granddaughter, a daughter, and my first wife, which is a sad commentary indeed but looking at the Sumo-wrestler sizes of my remaining daughters and their skin appearance, I am beginning to wonder if I am about to out-live them!

Could middle-age be a female phenomenon?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-06, 11:02
Registered Member

BF:

DuParc....with your great "attitude" you probably will outlive your kids. Too bad they don't take a hint and do what you are doing. It would undoubtedly improve their health too. What meds did they have you on that were having a diliterious effect? They've got me on a statin, Lipitor, but I am really thinking about refusing to continue taking it considering the possible side-effects.

Where in Scotland is Kirriemuir? Haven't been to Scotland yet, but it's on my agenda in the next couple of years.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-06, 12:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/193/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Duparc -

It just goes to show you, no one knows "YOU" better than you do! I dare say your "not going down without a fight" attitude, along with some great cantankerous stubborness keeps you one step ahead of those Doubting-Thomases. I love your style!!!!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 18:49

BF:

It is now 11 years since I came off the prescription medication but I believe it was called Atenolol (?). It left me with a constant migraine, loss of confidence, fear of driving and of heights, constant neurological problems, and generally feeling so awful that I did not expect to see the next day. Five long years later I decided to read up on the medication and from there began what became something of a hobby for the next 10 years, that of pharmacology. I soon discovered the medication that was right for me and tested it before approaching my GP to battle with him to have it prescribed. He still harbours doubts that it was the medication that I had chosen that restored my health!

Kirriemuir is situated at the south eastern edge of the grampian hills and is a parochial little town with a newspaper known as the 'Kirrie Squeak' which most buy to find out what their neighbours are up to. It is situated just off the Dundee to Aberdeen main road and its claim to fame is that, it is where the author of Peter Pan, James Barry, was born and died. It is also reputed that the Hollywood actor Daivid Niven was born here which was more through accident than design. Seemingly his parents were on journey (at the turn of the 20c) and stopped overnight at a local hostelry when his mother gave birth to him (an interesting little tale but I cannot vouch for its authenticity although I am given to believe that it has some basis in truth).

Last edited by Duparc : Tue, Feb-28-06 at 15:10.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 19:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duparc
Kirriemuir is situated at the south eastern edge of the grampian hills
Is that the warm and sunny part of Scotland?
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 23:01

Plan: Atkins/IF
Stats: 12/06/04 Female 5' 1.5
BF:
Progress: 75%

At 50, I guess others might see me as middle-aged. I prefer Mae West's motto: I'm old enough to know better, and young enough to enjoy it!

Another philosophy I live by: Youth is but fleeting ... immaturity is forever!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-06, 14:05
Registered Member

BF:

Duparc.....I went to mapquest and found your little piece of heaven. It's just north of Padanaram and Roundyhill...if I've found the right place.

Rachel....I love Mae West's motto. Have pretty much made it my own....at least at times.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-06, 15:19

BF:

Parisfox Spot-on! The town has an expanding population (like most urban areas) and today's numbers are around 7,000.

Dodger Cannot quite make-up my mind whether you are being a little facetious or simply serious, but, at this present moment the temperature is -6c and there is a blizzard in progress which is predicted to last for most of the week!

In the summer, it rains!

The population here seldom suffers from sunburn, only rust, and the green is not grass, but lichen.

Last edited by Duparc : Tue, Feb-28-06 at 15:28.