Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-08, 10:47

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 200/186/140 Female 5' 2"
BF:Way too much
Progress: 23%
Default Help for Hormones

Hi there:

This is a great web site if you want to check it out re Menopause and how Progesterone can help, etc.

It's Canadian, but everything can be accessed on line.

http://helpforhormones.com/susankrautter

I went to a one day seminar put on by Susan Krautter, she attended McGill University and has been nursing for 40 years. She's a holistic nurse and specializes in hormone issues. The seminar was so informative and she is so knowledgeable.

It seems progesterone is definitely a huge factor in controlling symptoms. We usually get Estrogen, which is the worst thing we can do apparently. Makes sense really when you think our bodies are trying to reduce Estrogen, guess there must be a reason for that.

Touch wood, I'm doing ok at 50 ... not too many symptoms, except I had to have an endometrial ablation for excessive bleeding and fibroids, but now I'm fine.

My friend did go the progesterone route though and she can't believe the difference it has made in her life, she is feeling awesome and no more sweats etc.

Anyway, worth checking out the site .... lots of good info.

Have a great day
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-08, 22:47

Plan: Control Carb-own program
Stats: 188/163/125 Female 5ft  3.5 inches
BF:?
Progress: 40%
Lightbulb

I'm 56 and heres my story. I started going thru it in my mid 40's. They were nice and let me stay on HRT until recently. Doc decided that I needed to be off. Well that hot flashes were coming fast and furious until I found a combination of supplements to help a little. They are at least bearable now and the good thing is nobody can tell me I have to quit taking it. For awhile i didn't think I was ever going to get them under control, so I desperately called the doctors office and said I needed the hormones back, but then the supplements kicked in so I cancelled my appointment. So that is my story, only I haven't figured out how to stop night sweats. Judy
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-08, 16:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/159/129 Female 5 1
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy anybody lose labido???

I can tolerate the hot flashes, sleep disturbances, brain fog etc.
what I am so sad about is my desire is gone. No one mentions this, in fact many of my friends say the sex is so much better now that they don't have periods, PMS etc..... I have lost 26 pounds and can't even enjoy the better body! Judy (new to the forum)
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-08, 05:54
Registered Member

Plan: my own/semi low carb
Stats: 153/151/127 Female 64 inches
BF:u bet!
Progress: 8%
Wink Testosterone and libido

Hi jhyn!
It may sound kind of odd, but sometimes menopausal women need testosterone supplementation in order to restore libido. Women normally have small amounts of testosterone in their body through out adult life. For some, this diminishes after menopause. It's that good ol' testosterone/androgens (along with estrogen and prgesterone) that help us keep that spark of desire after menopause.

Are you using anykind of hormone replacement at all?
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-08, 21:17

Default Loss of Libido

I believe Progesterone is all that is needed, my friend is now using it and says it has made a huge difference.

We need to be very careful about adding Estrogen in to our bodies at menopause, peri meno, etc. Our bodies are trying to get rid of Estrogen and there are more health issues arising now from this process and more and more docs are turning to Progesterone creams instead ... much better for us and makes for a big difference in hormonal balance etc.

I too have lost some Libido, however, I find it is more Mind over matter ... in other words I don't think I'm in the mood but given the "opportunity" I usually find I am indeed in the mood after all!! My husband has learned that it is all in the approach and that the fire just needs to be kindled a bit more than usual ...

All the best,
Ms A
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-08, 17:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/154/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Brenda,
I would very much like to try your recipe. I enjoy a flax meal muffin but would like a bread.
  #67   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-08, 06:36
Registered Member

Plan: my own/semi low carb
Stats: 153/151/127 Female 64 inches
BF:u bet!
Progress: 8%
Default more hormone info

hi again
jhyn: I can recommend a really good book for you and anyone who needs to balance out hormones for menopause and perimenopause. It is written by Dr. Uzzi Reiss MD/ob-gyn called: "Natural Hormonal Balance for Women".

Every woman is different. What worked for Ms A and her friend might not work for you. There are times in a woman's life when libido is so low that even if the hubby looked like "Fabio" and had a romantic approcah like "Casanova" it wouldn't help!

It may be helpful if you can find a really good ob/gyn who can discuss your symptoms with you and can work out a plan for bringing hormones into a balance that will dispel depression, loss of libido, insomina etc. etc.

Also, get blood tests to rule out other disorders that have the same symptoms. Many women develop hypothyroidism around the time of menopause---which has many symptoms that are similar to hormonal loss.

Best wishes! And feel better soon! Good luck.
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-08, 17:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/159/129 Female 5 1
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Thanks for the replies

Have had the hormones checked, testosterone is within normal limits. Will check with my ob/gyn about the progesterone cream, she told me last year that I would best off not doing any hormone replacement if possible.
Judy
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-08, 20:33

Default In case you are interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyhn
Have had the hormones checked, testosterone is within normal limits. Will check with my ob/gyn about the progesterone cream, she told me last year that I would best off not doing any hormone replacement if possible.
Judy

Hi there:

Here is a really good web site, with tons of great info etc., if you are interested.

www.understandinghormones.com/

I saw Susan Krautter at a women's conference I attended a couple of years ago .... she's a graduate of University and has been nursing for about 40 years. She's a holistic nurse and specializes in hormone health. She develops individual programs for both men and women to balance hormones without the use of pharmaceutical drugs.

You can get the saliva testing done through this web site (many of my friends did this after the conference we attended and have had great results) .... apparently, the blood test that is normally done is nowhere near as accurate as the saliva test .... and also the "natural" progesterone cream is available through this site .... apparently there are good and not-so-good creams out there, so be picky!

She was quite an amazing woman .... we were all very impressed with her at the conference ... there were about 200 meno women in the room for the conference at the same time!

This was in Vancouver BC, but with e-commerce you don't have to be in the same state or province anymore!

I have not pursued this avenue yet, as I don't seem to be having huge problems ... yet .... just some hot face stuff and hot and cold, but nothing major .... but I keep her web site bookmarked just in case

My few friends who did the test and got the cream say it has made a huge difference for them .... some doctors still don't "get this" but it seems to work. Docs usually just go for the drugs, but sometimes other things can work too.

Cheers and good luck

Ms A
  #70   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 16:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

I cramped and bleed real bad during my menopause.
My doctor finally did a hysterectomy and that made it all go away, no more cramps.