Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 17:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default Dana Carpender: "Make protein a breakfast staple"

Make protein a breakfast staple

Tired of eggs? Try steak, chops, cheese

Dana Carpender, United Feature Syndicate, Mar. 10, 2004 12:00 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarep...0lowcarb10.html

Breakfast should be the cornerstone of your low-carb diet. It has a profound impact on hunger all day. In one study, subjects who ate a cheese omelet for breakfast ate fewer calories during the day than subjects who ate instant oatmeal. Eating the right breakfast also can improve your energy, mood and mental clarity.

Eggs are great for people following a low-carb meal plan, and are infinitely variable, but my mail tells me that many of you are heartily sick of them.

Here are some ideas to vary your breakfasts:

• While bacon is too low in protein to serve by itself, sausage and ham make fine high-protein breakfasts. Throw sausage patties on your electric tabletop grill, and they'll cook quickly, with little tending.

• Burgers, chops and small steaks make great breakfasts, and also can be cooked quickly and easily on that grill.

• Leftovers, such as warmed-up meat loaf or stir-fry, make a good breakfast.

• Cottage cheese is cheap, high-protein, low-carb and loaded with calcium. If you like, add berries and a little sweetener: 1 cup of cottage cheese plus 1/2 cup sliced strawberries has 27 grams of protein, 11 grams of carbohydrate and 2 grams of fiber, for a usable carb count of 9 grams. ("Usable carbs" is the number of carb grams minus the number of fiber grams.)

• In The GO-Diet (GO Corp., 1999), Jack Goldberg and Karen O'Mara explain that the 12 grams of carbohydrate per cup listed on a container of plain yogurt is high. Yes, the milk the yogurt is made from has 12 grams of lactose, but the yogurt bacteria convert it to lactic acid, giving yogurt its characteristic tangy taste and leaving the yogurt with just 4 grams of usable carb per cup (and 9 grams of protein). Add a little low-carb "granola" - one-third cup of Gram's Gourmet Flax 'n' Nut Crunchies (buy it at carbsmart.com) for another 7 grams of protein, 6.7 grams of carbohydrate with 4 grams of fiber, for a usable carb count of 2.7 grams and plenty of minerals and healthy fats.

• Protein bars and shakes make grab-and-go breakfasts. I prefer shakes, because they usually don't contain polyol sweeteners. With the new carb-reduced milk on the market, you can easily make your own. Just put 1 cup of carb-reduced milk through the blender with a scoop (about 1/4 cup) of whey protein powder, a few ice cubes and the extract and sweetener of your choice.

• Other breakfasts-to-go include individually wrapped string cheese or cheese chunks, hard-boiled eggs, cold cuts and cottage cheese in individual containers with peel-off lids.

Dana Carpender is the author of 500 Low-Carb Recipes. Reach her through her Web site, holdthetoast.com.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 19:24
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hmmm... interesting about the yogurt. Think its true?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 19:51

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%

I have actually heard it's not There's some detailed info in the link below:

The Truth About Carbs in Yogurt
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 19:52

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%

Oh geez. How negative am I? It's a great article though! Thanks gotbeer!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 21:15
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Dana is a long-time low-carb favorite. I am happy to post her stuff, even if the long-term scientific results go against her. She'll adapt quickly to the latest science, IMHO.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 22:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Good stuff, thanks for the link!

I've been eating a tablespoon or so a day of plain yogurt because I think my intestinal tract needs the bacteria. Things are rumbly in the tumbly.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 22:38

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

"Dana is a long-time low-carb favorite."

I went to her site and also checked out Amazon and there are NO examples of any recipes! I went to look at her book because I looked at one book recently (I thought by this author), and the recipes were fairly LC, good for maintenance I think, but too high carb for induction or ongoing weight loss (for me anyway, I have to stay below 35-40/day to keep loosing).
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 02:15
Registered Member

Stats: 222/165/133 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbeer
Dana is a long-time low-carb favorite. I am happy to post her stuff, even if the long-term scientific results go against her. She'll adapt quickly to the latest science, IMHO.

I find some of her receipes good, the only trouble is that in some of them she uses rice protein powder and I can't find any in the uk, I could get it from the states but the shipping price is very high (got quoted $36)
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 07:18
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
I've been eating a tablespoon or so a day of plain yogurt because I think my intestinal tract needs the bacteria. Things are rumbly in the tumbly.

You might want to try Kefir

http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals...fir_culture.ASP

What is Kefir?

Kefir is a natural probiotic. It contains live active cultures of normal flora that will actually repopulate your digestive tract and aid in digestion. Kefir is superior to yogurt because yogurt is made with trancient, less potent bacteria. The bacteria in yogurt will last a few days in the digestive tract, and you need to keep reintroducing them. Kefir contains more organisms than yogurt, and the "normal flora" in kefir is made of vary strong strains of micro organisms (unlike yogurt) which will help to over take pathogenic organisms that have taken over. Kefir will repopulate the digestive tract with good organisms. We consider this the more natural way to add good bacteria to the digestive tract and feel these strains are superior to any capsules which might contain organisms that have been dried. The cultures on Kefir and active and growing when the enter your body. They thrive in dairy and use up the lactose and partially digest the proteins, making it a product that most people can ingest and will benefit from. Even people with milk sensitivities can usually drink kefir. These strong strains of digestive bacteria will also culture coconut water from young coconuts (see below for the recipes) or any milk product.

In addition to repopulating the digestive tract, enzyme stores are added to in the body. Many people in the US currently take digestive enzymes. They have been told they are not digesting their food properly, that their enzyme stores have run out, and they will have to take enzymes the rest of their life. Unfortunately, their health care providers have missed something that Sally Fallon and the Weston A. Price people along with people like Donna Gates of Body Ecology have come to realize: that cultured foods will actually add back enzyme stores into the enzyme banks of the body and aid the body in digesting other foods. Kefir, cultured cream, buttermilk, cultured vegetables, etc all add predigested food full of vitamins and minerals, normal flora, and enzymes to the body. I believe these are valuable foods, part of all good traditional diets, that have become lost in the society of today. And I believe bringing them back is essential for optimal health.

Is it different than Yogurt?

Yes. There is research showing that Yogurt contains left turning bacteria and kefir contains right turning bacteria. This researcher even states that young children and nursing mothers should stay away from the left turning bacteria found in Yogurt. He shows from his research that kefir and its right turning bacteria are far superior and much more beneficial to the digestive tract than the cultures found in yogurt.

Yogurt contains transcient bacteria and will not repopulate the digestive tract, but the active, growing, living cultures in kefir will.

The lactose in kefir is all digested by the time it is ingested, and some of the proteins have been broken down. Therefore, kefir can be used by many people who have sensitivities to milk . The same is not true with yogurt. Kefir can be made from any milk: goat, cow, ox, sheep, etc. A dairy free kefir can also be made from young coconuts. This is very exciting.

Is Taking Probiotics Just as Good?

Probiotics are capsules or tablets that contain some of the same healthy bacteria found in kefir. The differences between kefir and probiotics are significant, however. While probiotics contain good organisms that can repopulate the digestive tract, they need to be kept dormant (refrigerated) and are not actively replicating and growing when they arrive in your intestines. In addition, they are not in any medium that will coat the digestive tract and help them to become established, but rather they are in the process of being dormant and are actually slowly decreasing in population as they die off over time.

Kefir, on the other hand has massive quantities of healthy normal flora that are in the process of growing, increasing in number, and thriving. They are eaten in the medium they are thriving in, such the cultured milk or coconut water, which will coat the digestive tract and help them to establish residence there. This is a tremendous boost to your system and will repopulate your digestive tract more quickly, more efficiently, and more thoroughly than probiotics.

In addition to all this, kefir is very easy to make and much less expensive.

How do you make kefir?

Instructions to activate starter:

Into a glass container mix together the entire contents of one foil package of kefir starter with one quart of slightly warmed milk. (about skin temperature or 92 degrees) Shake, stir or whip with whisk to mix well.
Put on lid. Let sit to ferment at room temperature for 18-24 hours. You will notice it is ready if the milk has thickened and has a distinctive, sour fragrance. Final consistency is pourable by not “cat with a spoon” thick. Once thickened, shake or stir vigorously and place into the refrigerator. Even in your refrigerator the fermentation process continues, but chilling will slow down the fermentation of the healthy bacteria and beneficial yeast.
After initial activation each packet can be used to make 7 additional batches. Instructions are included here for creating one quart of or up to one gallon of Kefir at a time.

Transfer Instructions
Once your initial batch of kefir has been made and before you finish drinking it, start your second batch. Take some of your previous batch of kefir and add it to a new batch of warmed milk. You may repeat this step up to 7 times before you need another foil packet. Our unique kefir starter contains strong, viable lactobacillus bacteria and two strains of beneficial yeast that are unusually hardy, making the transfer process possible.

For 1 quart of organic milk- use 2 Tbsp of previous batch
For ˝ gallon of organic milk- use 2/3 cups of previous batch
For 1 gallon of organic milk-use one cup of previous batch
When you transfer kefir into new milk, be sure not to add more than the recommended amounts of previous batch. Adding too much kefir from your previous batch can result in a taste more sour than you prefer. You simply take some kefir from each batch to make the next batch. You can make 7 generations of kefir before the yeast will begin to become crowed out by the more aggressive lactobacillus organisms.

Enjoy your kefir plain or add sweetener, non-alcoholic flavorings, fruits, or spices like nutmeg or cinnamon.

Making a “Farmer Style” of Kefir Cheese

Make kefir as instructed, but let the freshly made kefir remain at room temperature for several hours longer. Suddenly you will see the curds (milk protein) separate from the whey.
Now line a strainer with cheesecloth. Place strainer over a bowl and pour the curds and whey mixture through the strainer. The strainer will catch the “cheese” or curds and the whey will go into the bowl. Place the bowl and strainer into your refrigerator and let it drain for several more hours. Store in a covered container for up to 5 days.
Warning: Once the kefir is placed into the refrigerator and cooled, the fermentation process is inhibited. You cannot then bring it back out to room temperature to turn your kefir into cheese.

Uses for Kefir Cheese
This cheese is excellent tossed into salads. It is also delicious flavored (e.g. Chopped onions, garlic, sea salt, fresh herbs) and served with an assortment of raw vegetables.

Uses for Whey:

Many recommend soaking your grains before cooking them. This makes them more digestible and releases the phytic acid. Several tablespoons of the microflora-rich whey can be added to your soaking water.

In Europe, whey is sold as a delicious beverage. Try sweetening it with stevia, fresh lemon or lime juice, or a non-alcoholic flavoring.

Special Tips:

Refrigerate starter culture packets until ready to use
Once kefir is made it will last approximately 1 week in the fridge.
When making kefir at home you can choose the best kind of milk for your.
Goat milk requires more starter when making initial batch. . Use one foil packet to 2 cups of milk.
The fat in milk makes a thicker kefir. With non-gat milk use 1 teaspoon not-fat milk powder per quart of milk. Add with
How do you make coconut Kefir?

Take your case of young coconuts, punch holes in the end where the eyes are pour out all the coconut water into clean glass jars. To one pint of liquid (about 4 young coconuts) add a packet of kefir starter culture. Let this sit about 24-48 hours.

You will know your kefir is ready when the color changes to a milky white and usually there is a bit of bubbling or foam on the top. This means the sugar has all been removed. When you drink it it will taste tangy and tart.

You can use about 1/4 cup of kefir from the first batch to "transfer" friendly bacteria to your next batch of kefir. You man do this up to seven times with one package of starter. When the weather becomes cold outside warm the liquid to about 90 degrees befor adding the starter. Then place the glass jar some where warmer so the temperature is steady at around 70 degrees.

Allow room for expansion as the coconut water ferments and becomes coconut kefir. Cover and let set at room temperature for a day or two. The cooler it is in your home, the longer it will take to ferment. The water will become like a drinkable yogurt. When this happens place it in the refrigerator. It will keep for several weeks. You may add vanilla, stevia, or any flavoring and sweetening of your choice.

1/2 Cup of Coconut Kefir with a meal greatly helps digestion. You can add ginger, stevia. fresh lemon, and/ or lime juice, etc. if desired. A half of a cup at bed time will greatly help to reestablish a health inner ecosystem. Studies have shown that when you are lying still during sleep, the microflora reproduce faster.

How do you make coconut Kefir? Make Coconut Chese!!

To make coconut cheese open up the young coconuts from step one above and scoop out the soft flesh. Blend this flesh into a pudding and add the remaining activated culture from that pint jar (see above) or from your coconut kefir culture. Mix thoroughly and let set at room temperature. This will make a cheese like substance somewhat like cream cheese that you can use in dressings, or as a spread. It is dairy free and delicious. It too will store well in the refrigerator.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 07:37

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySue48
"Dana is a long-time low-carb favorite."

I went to her site and also checked out Amazon and there are NO examples of any recipes! I went to look at her book because I looked at one book recently (I thought by this author), and the recipes were fairly LC, good for maintenance I think, but too high carb for induction or ongoing weight loss (for me anyway, I have to stay below 35-40/day to keep loosing).

I am guessing the book that you looked at was not by Dana. Almost all of her recipes in both cookbooks (with maybe a few exceptions) run between 3-6 carbs per serving. I have both cookbooks and adore them - they are what brought me back to low-carbing (along with the sound science, of course! )
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 10:24

Stats: 245/195/170 Male 5 10
BF:
Progress: 67%

Dana Carpender's column this morning (March 10) is pretty good. It is on "Net Carbs." It covers the breakthrough use of "Effective Carb Count" by the Protein Power authors, how that opened up more choice of foods with higher fiber for LCers, discrepancies among countries for labeling laws, and the fear that the Consumer Package Goods companies will rush in and bastardize the use of "net carbs" and "low carbs."

I cannot find the article online yet, but it is the best column she has written.

She suggests that she might do a followup on "net carbs," perhaps addressing the controversy whether sugar alcohols should not be counted. I posted another article this morning that encapsulates that controversy as follows:

Quote:
“Their theory is that sugar alcohols don’t raise blood sugar as quickly or as high as regular carbohydrates,” he said. “They are ignoring the fact that they do have some effect.”

Curiously, even Dr Atkins himself was once opposed to the use of sugar alcohols for people converting to his low-carb approach. The 1998 edition of the New Diet Revolution states: “Sweeteners such as sorbitol, mannitol and other hexitols or sugar alcohols are not allowed, nor are any sweeteners ending in the letters -ose, such as maltose fructose etc.”

By 2002, this statement had been eliminated and replaced by the recommendation that “some controlled-carb food products can come in handy” and “more and more companies are creating healthy products that can be eaten during the Induction phase of Atkins”. These included the diet’s spin-off company, Atkins Nutritional.

Last edited by PacNW : Wed, Mar-10-04 at 10:31.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 11:20
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

MyJourney-Where do you find Kefir? Do grocery stores carry it? Is it in a yogert like container or more like milk?

You know, I have both cook books, why don't I use them?!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 13:06

Stats: 200/190/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 13%

PacNW

Interesting. Thanks.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 13:12
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Dana Carpenders website is here:

http://www.holdthetoast.com/

You can look through the archives for recipes and also subscribe to her ezine from there.

Karen
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 16:00

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I have yet to find unsweetened kefir in the grocery stores -- including our local natural foods co-op -- so they're all high in carbs. But, to answer the question of where to find it, it's in most grocery stores, in the milk section or the yogurt section, and usually in containers for liquids as it's not thick enough for a container like yogurt.