Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 06:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/156/145 Female 5'7''
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Convincing DH

Anyone out there have a hard time convincing there husbands that their daughter should be on a diet yet he refused to allow her to "(get into the lifelong yoyoing game with her weight)". Our daughter is 14 and has her Public school graduation in June,and so much wants to look good in a pretty prom and grad dress. She is 5' 81/2" and I sure close to the 200lbs mark. He grandmother and a few of the other relatives on my husbands side are all built the same, large on top no bum an no hips or thighs. Three things I die to not have. She has asked to follow atkins a few times since my DH and I have been doing it for a year and been quite sucessful on it. But alas he is addiment not to have her start. I do understand his point, but on the other hand hers as well. She is not a big eater, her downfall is not enough exercise. We have her walk to and from school, she attends all gym classes is involved in badminton vollyball and feild events in the spring. She also downhill ski and snowboards and is a avid swimmer, and in training to be and swim instructor but again I feel she is predisposed to the body type she was given. Any suggestions
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 07:10

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%
Default Well,

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm doing CAD. My H doesn't have a problem with her being on a diet, he just doesn't think this is the right diet. What if you just "cleaned" up her diet a bit? Give her salads and vegetables, just not potatoes and pasta. Since she is still young, she can probably lose easier. And cut out sugary drinks. Do you pack her a lunch for school? You could probably make sandwiches with lower carb bread and put egg salad (no relish, if you use that), tuna or chicken with mayonnaise. And a salad. My D eats a salad with her lunch. I just put the lettuce in the sandwich container, put some dressing and cheese on it and it's good to go. You could add a boiled egg to her salad too. My D says she is less hungry even though she would have thought she'd be hungry. I also give her some lunch meat (turkey ham or chicken) roll ups.. I just lay them in another sandwich container.

CAD is a regular meal (Reward Meal) in the evening "usually". You might could look into that too. With CAD, you keep the carbs very low for breakfast and lunch (although you can have your Reward Meal at any meal, but only once a day. You finish your meal within 60 minutes, including dessert) and you eat a Reward Meal of 1/3 protein, 1/3 craving reducing vegetables, 1/3 carbohydrates of your choice. Whether it be potatoes, pasta, dessert... Good luck. I know that is hard. I have a bit of a different boat in that he wants her on a diet that will not work. (High carb/low fat)
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 11:20
Registered Member

BF:

Hello: 2bthinner

Mostly he does not want her on a diet at all. My sister-n-law's daughter is the same and she took her to the doc and he flipped when she suggested a diet. Needless to say sisters have a little more influence than spouses. But I do like your suggestions and will try slowly cutting out stuff. Maybe he wont notice it over a period of time.
Thanks Loribell
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 11:52

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Maybe it would help if you helped him see that this is really not a "diet" (ie something that you do for a while to lose weight and then go back to the eating habits that got you overweight in the first place), but a change in eating habits that will benefit her health long-term.
I agree with cutting out the obvious sugar, white flour and processed junk foods and moving her more towards unprocessed healthier foods such as veggies, low glycemic fruits, adequate amounts of protein and healthy fats. Teach her how to make healthier choices even when she's away from home and she'll carry that knowledge with her always.
Since she's still young and active, I really don't see any reason to cut her carbs super low ala induction. Why not have her try something more in the range of 50-60 grams of carb per day with emphasis on veggies and one or two low GI fruits (berries, half an apple or orange, etc...), whole grain lower carb breads, perhaps some full-fat yogurt with the berries?
I'll give you an example of how a lunch might look on such a plan:

2 slice sandwich with turkey, cheese and mayonnaise...13 grams
1/2 cup frozen unsweetened strawberries with 1/2 cup plain yogurt...11 grams
1 packet splenda to sweeten the yogurt and berries..1 gram
pepperoni slices and celery sticks

total: 25 grams carb

Pair that with a lower carb breakfast (maybe 7 or 8 grams carb from a couple of eggs and a slice of low carb toast with peanut butter or sugar-free jam) and she still has about 25 grams of carb to play with for dinner and snacks. Which could include half an apple or orange and a couple more veggies along with proteins and a cup or two of Carb Countdown milk to get her dairy in.
Doesn't sound all that unreasonable does it and certainly a lot healthier than what most girls her age are eating!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 16:04
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Lisa
I agree that a higher daily carb level is more logical for a younger developing person. I thank you for all your suggestions and will throw both your and 2bthinner ideas out on the dinner table and see what happens, who knows maybe she like most teens will decided for herself what she will ultimatly do.
Loribell