Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 11:57
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Question Do I have it?

I'm curious. My mother has Fibromyalgia, and her doctor thinks she has had it since her 20s. But she can't remember what her symptoms were like in her 40s let alone 20s. I'm 38 this year and I'm wonder if I have symptom of it. I have muscle pain like everyone else, my legs are always sore. How would a person know it they have it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 12:54
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

hi Lessara,

I sure hope you don't have it .. There is some evidence that fibromyalgia can run in families, but not always. Nobody else in my family, cousins, aunts, uncles etc has it but me. My mother has arthritis, but they're not the same thing, nor are they related. They just happen to have pain in common.

There are a lot of other things that can cause muscle aches and pains. Low thyroid, diabetes, low magnesium ... chronic fatigue to name just a few. Or it could be muscle strain due to bad posture or a bad chair, a pinched nerve ... the list goes on.

Fibromyalgia is usually diagnosed by ruling out everything else, since there is no specific test to show that you do have it. The pain has to be all over the body, not just one part. There also have to be positive tender points, which are points on your body that don't hurt until you press them.

There's a long discussion we had a few months ago with another member who had some strange symptoms. There are some good posts about fibromyalgia, lists of symptoms and how to tell if you have it. Check it out here.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 14:14
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Question Confused

I sent to the site you suggested and I noticed that they mention Cronic fatigue (pardon spelling) I was diagnosed years ago with fatigue and was given medicine an a week of leave from work.
Its not perminant is it? As for symptoms of Fibromyalgia I don't have "tender" points or painful spots except where my back was injured two years ago. So thats a good sign right?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 01:25
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

hi Lessara,

Yes, no tender points is a good sign

However,you still have the mystery of why your legs ache, and you feel fatigued. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is closely related to Fibromyalgia, or so the experts believe. There is a great deal of overlap of symptoms .. including the tender points, although not everyone with CFS has tender points. But everyone with fibro MUST have tender points in order for the diagnosis to be made. Some of us are lucky enough to have both

Chronic Fatigue or CFIDS or CFS is very debilitating. The fatigue is more than just feeling tired; it's like having a really bad case of the flu, only you feel like that ALL the time. Just getting dressed and preparing meals is exhausting, forget about shopping or socializing .... and for many, a job is out of the question.

Chronic pain, such as your aching legs .. can interfere with your ability to get a good night's sleep, and fatigue often results. Are you taking magnesium? Mag will help with the aching muscles, and is also helpful for sleep. I think I remember you stating before in a post that you can't take calcium, but you can get magnesium as a separate supplement. 400 - 500mg per day is recommended, in divided doses. It can have a laxative effect if you take it all at once.

Good old fashioned Epsom Salts are pure crystals of magnesium sulphate. Enjoy a tub bath or soak your legs with a handful of epsom salts thrown in the water. Grandma was right, it does soothe aching muscles

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 21:43

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have been debating about going to the doctor also and being checked out for fibromialgia.. My mom was dionosed with it years ago. She told me one day she sees alot of how i feel being the same things she felt when she was told she had it.. The extreme tireness and always waking up just as tired as i was when i went to bed... And being stiff and complainging about my one thiegh being sensitive sometimes just to touch.. I can sleep and rest and start feelign good then just the 12 mile round trip to the school to get the kids and boy Im wipped out. and come home and lay down on the couch and sleep some more... Its a pain when you can go out and play with the kids and enjoy running and playing with them.. Or ugg the dreaded sometimes walkign across the yard and feeling like you ran into a brick wall... but thenhaving good days where you can walk and feel good.. I have noticed that with fewer carbs I have felt alot better . But still have days where im extremely tired.. and still bothered by the aches and stiffness. I know weight can play a part of what I feel but can it be all of what I feel? I have been thinking about going to doctor about it but not having insurance makes it kinda hard.