Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-19, 11:46
Registered Member

Plan: Keto
Stats: 293.6/261.6/180 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Workout routine

Not sure where to post this, so I'll try here. I am not really a beginner when it comes to exercise, but (of course) I haven't been a gym regular in a while. I used to do a lot of weightlifting before, some running (about 15 years ago when I was lighter), I was a swimmer in my teens and I spent 5 years in the military when I was very active.

Anyways, I started doing some exercising about a month ago. I started with some moderate paced walking (35-45 min every day). Then about 2 weeks ago I started doing cardio at the gym (mostly elliptical, cause treadmill makes me dizzy for some reason after I get off and I start walking). So, as of today, I started with the weight training.

The plan is something like this for the next month:
Day 1 - Back and Biceps -4 or 3 exercises each, 3-4 sets, 6-15 reps
Day 2 - Cardio
Day 3 - Chest and Triceps -4 or 3 exercises each, 3-4 sets, 6-15 reps
Day 4 - Cardio
Day 5 - Legs and Shoulders -4 or 3 exercises each, 3-4 sets, 6-15 reps
Day 6 - Cardio
Day 7 - Rest

The idea is to do this until May 24, then give myself two days of rest, and then switch to this regime:
Day 1: Chest - 4 or 5 exercises, 3-4 sets, 6-15 reps (cardio either in the morning or in the evening)
Day 2: Back - 5 exercises, 3-4 sets, 6-15 reps (cardio either in the morning or in the evening)
Day 3: Shoulders, upper traps - 4 or 5 exercises, 3-4 sets, 6-15 reps (cardio either in the morning or in the evening)
Day 4: Legs - 5 or 6 exercises, 3-4 sets, 6-15 reps (cardio either in the morning or in the evening)
Day 5: Biceps, Triceps - 3 to 4 exercises each, 3-4 sets, 6-15 reps (cardio either in the morning or in the evening)
Day 6: Cardio
Day 7: Rest

Rinse and repeat.

I am hoping this will help with the possible loose skin as well as with my body composition and my overall health. As I said in my other posts, I have sleeping apnea, my GERD is much better right now (almost at the point where I don't need any medication), my sciatica is getting better but I still have some overall body soreness.

If you guys have any comments, or if you'd just like to chip in with your workout schedule, I would love to hear it.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-19, 13:02

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Big fan of lifting, and it will make you feel good to lose weight and add muscle at the same time.

I do the following:

Day 1 Bench Press (warm up, (4x5)
Dumbell press (3x10)
Dumbell pull overs (3x8)
Body weight Dips (3x10)
Dead lift ( either 3 x 10 lighter or 4x5 heavier)
Knee raises
Day 2 Dumbell shoulder press (3x8)
Mil Press (3 x 8)
Shoulder shrugs (3x10)
Dumbbell lat pulls (3x10)
Lat pull down (3x8)
Dumbbell curls (3x8)
Squats (3x10)
Day 3 rest/cardio (need to be better about doing cardio)
Rinse and repeat, aiming for 2 cycles each week.

Take it real easy starting out..your mind may think you are your younger self with the weights in your hands...injury is hard to recover from when older.

Definitely focus on the big lifts..starting light and working up...deadlift (I use a hex bar which I highly recommend...easier on back), benchpress, squats, lat pull downs, shoulder press.

Again, start really light and get your muscles used to lifting again.

Happy lifting!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-19, 19:49
Registered Member

Plan: Keto
Stats: 293.6/261.6/180 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Thanks Sniggle. I love lifting as well, makes you feel good, right? The hardest part is going to the gym lol
Your workout looks interesting, although I prefer to do biceps/back one day and triceps/chest the other day. Personal preference, I guess. Deadlifts are hard for me because of my sciatica issue. So, for now at least, I will stay away from them and do more isolate exercises for my back. I'm worried that I might injure my back and then I won't be able to lift nor do cardio. But the rest should be ok - bench press and incline press are my favourites as well as military press. I never did keto while lifting, so this will be something new for me.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-19, 04:58

Plan: Carnivoire
Stats: 373.6/373.6/150.0 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for stopping by my gym log. I am a totally new to do anything other then cardio. I do plan to join a gym and start strength training after I have been consistent with my cardio (rebounder) for 28 days.

And I agree that just going to the gym is the hardest part

Your plan sounds really good and the best part is that you have a plan. That will help you stay consistent. You should post daily (or weekly) so we can support you in your efforts to be a healthier version of yourself.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-19, 05:15

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

It is pretty much triceps/chest one day (bench and dips) and back/biceps the other day(dumbbell pulls/lat pull downs/curls), but a lifting workout, amusingly, is a really personal thing. How many days, lifts, order of lifts, # of reps....no two folks will do the same:-)

I have to stay away from incline press, as adding the angle to the lift really hurts my right shoulder.....but I have my son doing the dumbbell presses on an incline.

Luckily for me I have most of what I need in my basement (dumbbells to 80, bench rack, squat rack, lat pull down machine, dip/pull up stand, so it is much harder to skip a workout.