Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 01:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeel
Welcome, Morgan---Nice to hear from you. After reading your post in the comments about the new board format, I sent you a private message. I'm hoping you know how to open one of those! At any rate, you sound like you're about in the same place as I am in navigating around in here. I'm no more lost with the new features than I was with the old ones....but I really like some of the things they have added. For example, I can now use the quote feature properly (though may forget how by tomorrow) and I can now use the smilies. And do you see this purple?

It looks as though you have been more successful "navigating" your weight loss....very nice stats indeed. Boy, there are a lot of folks from Seattle in this forum. Some of my favorite members are Seattlites (if that is the term).

Wishing you continued success to your goal,
Kay

<font color="brown"><B> Hi!! Yes, I did receive your private message and answered it immediately. I hope you received it because, like I said before, I just kind of click my way around; not quite sure what I'm doing.

It looks like we're about the same weight also. I'm kind of having a problem right now. I have been faithfully exercising everyday for about 3 weeks and was seeing the results already. Then I had a freak accident and hurt my tailbone, hip and leg. The doctor said I have to take it easy for a few weeks! Well, if I stop exercising now I'm afraid I'll never get back to it! Very frustrating! I do the "Walk Away The Pounds" tape and really like it. Hopefully, I can get back to it soon!

Thanks for the private message. It's nice to know others my age who are having the same struggles. It's so frustrating to me because I never had a weight problem until I quit smoking and started antidepressants; POW!! 30 pounds weight gain immediately! That's the weight I'm trying to get off now. I'm sorry to say I started smoking again (shame on me) and I'm proud to say I gave up the antidepressants. Who needs them? I feel great now! I haven't lost all the weight, but feel so much better, I know I'll make it....eventually.

Best of luck with your goals too! This menopause really makes it difficult, too. Let's face it...we women just flat get a raw deal all the way around. Grrrrrrrr

Talk to you later!
Morgan
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 10:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 240/230/150 Female 61inches
BF:
Progress: 11%

:
HI
This looks like a great form, I turned 61 this year , and yes
the pounds seem to be comeing off slow, only about10#
so far. I'm not sure ,because i didn't weigh myself right away
when i started.
I did take my measurements in the beginning though and
as of today i've lost 9.5''
Bart : :
  #108   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 13:16

Stats: 163/146/140 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

Hi Bart

Sounds like you are doing great... good reduction, I am still struggling, but feel so good, dont really care too much anymore.. it will happen over time, ty
  #109   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 17:27

Stats: 170/169/135 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 3%

I remember Country Joe and The Fish and the First Woodstock, and I'm even older than you are. How about Canned Heat? So glad I found your thread. Its encouraging to find others my age who are also finding it is harder to lose than when we were younger.
Lets just keep on encouraging one another and we'll make it. I read a posting on another board that inspired me. "Slow progress sure beats having things get steadily worse."
  #110   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 19:28

Stats: 202/117/125 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 110%

Hi Rainopal,

"Slow progress sure beats having things get steadily worse."

That's a great quote; one that I will try to remember when I am feeling down!
  #111   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 18:00

Plan: moderate - BFing
Stats: 247.5/195/150 Female 66 inches
BF:preg/curr/goal
Progress: 54%

Hi Tarheel! Hey, I'm 30, and I know who Country Joe is! LOL

I'm just putting in a shameless plug for my mom who recently joined the site and has been lamenting about how few people have visited her journal. Her handle here is Lensesplus -- maybe you can con her into stopping in here.
  #112   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 12:01

Plan: Zone
Stats: 235/190/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

It's been a while since I've posted, but I've checked in a few times. I have a question for all you post menopausal women.
I seem to have just now really started to skip periods which means, from what I understand, that I am smack-dab in menopause.
Been in perimenopause for years, noticing many changes in menstruation, but never skipped one.
Everything I read says "expect to gain weight' during this time. This is so discourageing to me, cuz, I have spent my whole life being overweight and now, with this WOE, I am finally really LOSING weight/inches and feel great! I can't believe that I will be GAINING now that menopause has hit. I am also wondering if that might contribute to long stalls..... like the natural weight gain of menopause is being cancelled out by this WOE and vice versa. Which means...homeostasis! EEK! I hope I am way off on this. I would love to hear from others.

Also, I wanted to share with you all that I have been using herbs to counteract night sweats and hot flashes. Started having them pretty bad about 3 months ago, and since taking herbal tinctures regularly,I haven't had ANY night sweats and the hot flashes are barely noticeable adn usually occur after I eat something spicy or sip a glass of wine.

kathy
  #113   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 08:48

BF:

Hi Katrine77

I really dont believe that menopause necessary means weight gain, it may be a fine excuse for many of us. I have been on HRT and have , this week, finally weaned off them so I could be eating my words in the next month or so, though I was told that HRT causes weight gain.. so who knows. What I do know is that weight loss for me is tediously slow, and that could be linked to age and menopause. but I feel so much better that I look better so the wol works. Havnt had any bad hot flashes yet, but just in case, what herbs are you taking? anyway, good luck with everything, I am sure you will sail through the whole thing and still lose weight albeit a little slower!
  #114   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 10:36

Plan: Zone
Stats: 235/190/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi chrisee
I purchased tincture of motherwort and a tincture of chaste tree berry. But so far, I have only used the motherwort. My daughter is studying herbs and says that the tincture (herbs in an alcohol base) is much more effective then capsules, tea or pills.

I had a night of sweating back in May where I was waking up every 30 min with a sweat, kicking all the blankets off till I cooled down, covering up again only to have it start all over again. I wouldn't have minded so much except that I was losing sleep!

I started taking a dropperfull of motherwort before bed and upon waking in the morning. (under the tongue...and it tastes pretty bad so keep your water bottle nearby!). Within a few days, it all stopped! And no hot flashes during the day!

Now I only take it at bedtime. Still no hot flashes or sweats! Knock on wood!

And thanks for the encouragement and advice. You are sooooo right about the feeling better and looking better because of that. I have been getting the same results here, I feel great most of the time and I get compliments all the time now....and not about weight loss....just about 'glowing' and looking good.

Good luck with going off the HRT. I hope you have the same luck with the herbs that I have had so far.

Kathy
  #115   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 14:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rob
Hi Katrine77

I really dont believe that menopause necessary means weight gain, it may be a fine excuse for many of us.

Unfortuneately, Menopause does mean weight gain in the stomach; there is plently of research to back it up. However, you can exercise, do crunches and eat properly and keep it in check. If you don't, it will definitely take residency around your middle. Now, whether you gain all over with menopause, I've never heard of that so I can't say. But if you don't want that menopausal belly, you better get used to eating properly and exercising. That's just a fact.
  #116   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 17:32
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Hi Folks: I didn't respond to this at first, as I went through menopause at age 40 and had almost no bad effects as far as hot flashes, etc. And as I have gained and lost weight so many times in my life, it is hard to blame it on any one factor. (Other than eating too damn much for my height and exercise habits!)

However, I think Morgan may be correct about the increased weight moving to the belly. I am the same weight now that I was in 1989, and then I could wear my test jeans quite comfortably. I can wear them now, even zip them up and sit down and still breathe.....but they are definitely not comfortable over a period of time wearing them.

In fact, I wore them for about six hours the other day, and the next day it seemed as though I had "bruised" my stomach.....Oh, well. Ain't life fun?

Kay
  #117   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 08:52
Contributing Member

Plan: Protein Power (loosly)
Stats: 165/158/158 Female 5'8"
BF:I don't know
Progress: 100%

Hi everyone, how do I join here. I am 63 and just moved to Tennessee. I could use some people to talk to that are around my age bracket. I started the protein diet about three weeks ago and so far the problem of constipation is being worked on. I also started exercising, walking in the a.m and going to a fitness center twice a week. My energy level has increased and I'm feeling really good. I've lost about 7 pounds so far, but my body is looking much better. It's no doubt the combination of low carbs and exercise. I am not so bloated. Please respond anyone....
  #118   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 09:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joizienew
Hi everyone, how do I join here. I am 63 and just moved to Tennessee. I could use some people to talk to that are around my age bracket. I started the protein diet about three weeks ago and so far the problem of constipation is being worked on. I also started exercising, walking in the a.m and going to a fitness center twice a week. My energy level has increased and I'm feeling really good. I've lost about 7 pounds so far, but my body is looking much better. It's no doubt the combination of low carbs and exercise. I am not so bloated. Please respond anyone....

It looks like you have already joined. I didn't think you could post unless you were a member. I could be wrong, though, it wouldn't be the first time! LOL Welcome and good luck! Yes, constipation is sometimes a problem with me, too. Not exactly sure why because it's only now and then. Maybe not enough fiber; maybe too much. Dunno! Well, I guess I wasn't much help, was I? Again, welcome!

Morgan
  #119   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 11:32
Contributing Member

Plan: Protein Power (loosly)
Stats: 165/158/158 Female 5'8"
BF:I don't know
Progress: 100%

thanks for the welcome. I guess I am in. I have just started the fiber supplement and think that I will be OK, (that is as soon as I get over the consequences of the laxitive I took) I am looking forward to coming here daily to exchange ideas, etc.
  #120   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 14:34

BF:

Actually, you are probably right about the belly fat..this is the hardest area for me to lose weight, but I do think the old menopause is an excuse for lots of us to give up the battle of the bulge... and what about those featherless bat wings that have taken the place of my arms.. where the hell did they come from?