Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Plan comparison
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 18:09

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

as CLOSE to zero as possible.

"what is biologically zero"

you'll get about 6 to 8 carbs a day on its induction. REALLY measure any greens, etc. Eat all you want of meat, eggs, fats.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 18:29

Plan: .
Stats: 000/000/000 Male .
BF:
Progress: 84%

Thanks! I moved my reply to the buddy's thread before I saw your resonse,
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 16:05

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%

Thank you for the info!!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jul-30-09, 23:09

Plan: Keto <38 carbs daily
Stats: 316/287.2/132 Female 64
BF:Isn't It Obvious?!
Progress: 16%

Can anyone tell me what date the book changed to some new way of Atkins? I hear people saying they prefer the 1972 version. I don't know what the differences were but I'm trying to get an older version book to buy and can only find back to 1989 so far. Don't know if that's a later printing of the 1972 or not.

Comparison wise, what are the big differences between the two.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-09, 10:34

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Kris,

I *think* Atkins changed in 1992 and again in 2002 and then again more recently. here is a link to a recent thread on Atkins '72. I can't tell you all the differences for a comparison but some of the diffs are:

A72: no net carbs
A72: more strict induction (as close to zero as possible for one week) and more "limited" choice of foods for the first week.
A72: different "ladder" - add 5-8 carbs per week.

I'm sure there are other differences but, because I'm at work and do not have the books handy, I can't list the other differences.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-10, 14:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%

I have been considering this. I have a few things of fresh broc. I want to finish, then thinking of doing the "induction" like listed. I have been wondering just what the differences in 72, and the "new revol" version. Thanks for info!
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-10, 14:59

Cyn - check the first post or click the link in my signature. I don't know of a comparison between the original and revised versions but the original rules are simple.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, May-05-10, 21:12
Registered Member

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 185/180/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Wow, posters to this thread vanished? By accident I ended up here looking for information on the old version of Atkin's...I feel like a traitor looking for answers or to place blame since I can find no reasons on my side for the 2002 version not being "enough"!

Well I'm hoping for support as I have just ordered the '72 book, feeling as though the original version may help propel me forward...I lost 8 pounds then gained back 2 then have held for over 2 months with no loss...I had a sneaking sucpicion cream cheese, too much whipping cream, splenda and playing around with LC recipes was what was holding me.

I am in menopause as well, I believe I must go simple and am looking forward to hearing from any of you who may be struggling currently with the 2002 DANDR...thanks!
  #24   ^
Old Wed, May-05-10, 23:29
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnellyk
Wow, posters to this thread vanished?
This isn't the Atkins '72 Buddies Group thread. You'll find that here.

I'm not currently following '72, although I did for about a year ... maybe longer. The group looks as though it's still active. I'm sure the current group members would love to have you join in.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-12, 11:15

Plan: Atkins Original
Stats: 313.3/210.5/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnil53
There is more to the diet of course and it has differant levels... not unlike his New Diet Revolution, the second Level only allows 5 to 8 grams of carbs though... I think that is what I understand. It is not quite laid out like the new one is...

If I remember correctly after the first or second week you are allowed to add 5 g carbs weekly.
Now sure how long really, to stay on each level. I guess as long as you are losing weight. But once the weight is lost, you increase the carbs up to maintenance level. This could be as high as 60g daily. It all depends on the INDIVIDUAL!!
I remember when I first did Atkins back in the '70s, my limit for maintenance was 60g daily.

Is May 8, 2010 really the last time someone posted here?

BTW: why is my signature cut off? When I check the preview it is shown correctly.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-12, 13:54

There is another thread for Atkins 1972. Click the link in my signature.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-13, 09:33
Registered Member

Plan: original atkins
Stats: 213/176/155 Female 5'7 1/2"
BF:mini goal: 185/175
Progress: 64%

I just finished cleaning out my fridge and cupboards giving everything away that I can't have...thankfully my kids and grandkids are close by and took them right away because I couldn't believe all of the good food I was in the habit of eating that is off limits! Well, temporarily anyways since I'm starting induction tomorrow. I've decided to use the old version of the Atkins diet as opposed to the newest one that I used last time. I seemed to have such a hard time getting into induction and staying there! I think they give you too much leeway and your body is all over the place, mostly out of ketosis (well mine was anyway) Wish me luck!
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-13, 11:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/178/150 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress:
Default Atkins Diet Revolution 1972 Edition was the best

I have been a low-carber since 1998 and I have read all of the Atkins books. The one I read first was his 1972 edition of the Atkins Diet Revolution. I think it was his best book because it was written before he was lambasted by the diet "experts" for promoting a diet high in fats. Its from the the heart. Its what he truly believed to be the best way to do the diet. Fascinated by this evolution in his writing, I wanted to go back and read the original - the one that started it all - but I was dismayed to find that it does not exist in electronic form AT ALL. For me, thats the most convenient way to read, so I set out to find a PDF version. And I found it. If you are interested in a copy let me know.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-13, 10:19

Plan: Atkins Original
Stats: 313.3/210.5/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoulian
I have been a low-carber since 1998 and I have read all of the Atkins books. The one I read first was his 1972 edition of the Atkins Diet Revolution. I think it was his best book because it was written before he was lambasted by the diet "experts" for promoting a diet high in fats. Its from the the heart. Its what he truly believed to be the best way to do the diet. Fascinated by this evolution in his writing, I wanted to go back and read the original - the one that started it all - but I was dismayed to find that it does not exist in electronic form AT ALL. For me, thats the most convenient way to read, so I set out to find a PDF version. And I found it. If you are interested in a copy let me know.

Thank you. I would really appreciate the link to the PDF.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, May-15-14, 16:47
Craft Ninja!

Plan: Dr. Atkins/Dr. Westman
Stats: 204/194/169 Female 5'6" inches
BF:high wght over 204
Progress: 29%

saving this. Thanks!