Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-07, 13:52

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hmmmm.

It seems to me that if you substituted melted baking chocolate for the hard fat and maybe a T or 2 of nut butter (I'm thinking hazelnut personally) for the liquid fat, I'm guessing you might be able to make a really spectacular chocolate cookie.

Hmmm.

Next weekend's project...
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-07, 10:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Have I shared this recipe? It's a chocolate souffle in a mug.

.5 oz of unsweetened chocolate
1 Tbl of fat (butter, coconut oil, palm oil, whatever)

Melt chocolate and fat in microwave in a mug.

Stir in 1 Tbl Erythritol

With a fork beat in one egg very well.
Add some SF syrup like Da Vinci or Torani, whatever flavor you want.

Microwave for 45-60 seconds. Do NOT overcook. It should still be a little bit gooey at the end.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Dec-28-07 at 18:20.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-07, 18:17

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 155/155/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I just caught this thread... Good thing I already had my cheat with the chocolate chip cookies that I made at Christmas

I have no idea why anyone would post & say that they have recipes but are writing a cookbook & cannot share. what is the purpose in that? I am also writing a cookbook, from 50 years worth of recipes - & it is a heck of a lot of work. But the reason that i am doing it is because my pieces of paper are starting to crumble. I do share my recipes, I figure that if on the odd rare chance that my book actually got in print for the general public, (which I think is not likely) that if you have tried one of my recipes & liked it then you might remember me & want to check out the cookbook. But then again I am double DQ1 so i know my brain is a little messed up !

I have been GF for over 3 years & now I am dairy free except for the occasional butter. I have the original recipes & the conversions, plus new GF DF ones, so I decided to just put them all in the cookbook. I am doing this cookbook with the intention that it is for my grandchildren. I happened to think that it would also be a good book to give to someone that is not gluten free but has family or friends that are!!! You know us Southerners and food... I have been trying to reform myself & not give food as gifts, but it is difficult...

And if you are still reading, I do not care if it is Paleo or not, but IMO I think that ya'll should not be eating ANY of that artificial sweetner stuff. OMG I think it is the worse thing in the world. If you do not want to eat sugar, can't you just use Honey? I wish some of you would really think about how BAD that artificial sweetner is.
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-07, 15:31
Registered Member

Plan: Natural/organic low-carb
Stats: 412/251.5/175 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfpaperdol
I have no idea why anyone would post & say that they have recipes but are writing a cookbook & cannot share. what is the purpose in that? I am also writing a cookbook, from 50 years worth of recipes - & it is a heck of a lot of work. But the reason that i am doing it is because my pieces of paper are starting to crumble. I do share my recipes, I figure that if on the odd rare chance that my book actually got in print for the general public, (which I think is not likely) that if you have tried one of my recipes & liked it then you might remember me & want to check out the cookbook. But then again I am double DQ1 so i know my brain is a little messed up !

I guess you must mean me, and I'm sorry you don't like my decision not to post recipes anymore. I used to post them on alt.support.diet.low-carb, and a lot of them are floating around on the Internet on various websites. I see them everywhere whenever I do a quick search for them. So, it's not like I haven't contributed my share over the years.

Normally, I don't post that much on this website, and what you were referencing was just about the first post I've done that even mentions that I create recipes. I only posted because Bat Spit wanted to know if there were recipes that met her requirements. I just wanted her to know that there are, and it's not impossible to do paleo-compliant baking within her restrictions.
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-07, 23:52
Experimenter

BF:

I don't think all artificial sweeteners are bad. Why lump them into one category? I think honey is a whole lot worse for me than artificial sweeteners are. And sugar... lets not even go there. They're not paleo, so I'm not going to try to defend them as such but many of them come from foods you eat every day.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Dec-31-07 at 07:49.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-07, 16:04

Stats: 155/155/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

It is probably just me & my family, we cannot tolerate artificial sweetners of any kind. I know it is the weirdiest thing. I just get carried away when i think what they do to my brain. I guess it is possible that some people eat them & nothing happens. I just cannot. Of course I have a ton of other food/checmical allergies so nothing that unusual that I cannot tolerate artificial sugar. Wouldn't it be odd if other people get a reaction to regular sugar but not the artificial stuff?
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-08, 00:50
Experimenter

BF:

Ok, definitely not paleo but I made a flourless chocolate espresso cake with black raspberry sauce for my NY Eves party. It was a huge hit. It had some semi-sweet chocolate chips in it, but I substituted out the sugar for a blend of other sweeteners and it came out great.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-08, 08:57
LCing for health!

Plan: GF whole foods
Stats: 160/140/140 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

^^That chocolate souffle looks amazing, Nancy! Will have to try that.

Just made these today. As close to paleo as I have ever gotten with cookies, hah. They have great flavor and remind me of carrot cake. Texture is dense, like a date bar (not like traditional cookies, obv). The cauliflower was an experiment (think zucchini bread) and made 'em nice and moist. The raw cocoa nibs are a special ingredient I had on hand that add an interesting flavor. Lotsa iron and antioxidants.

Lauren's Paleo Cookies

4T coconut oil
2T almond butter
1/4c flax meal
1/2c pecan meal
1/4c organic xylitol (to avoid GMO)
3/4c organic erythritol
1/4t stevia (sweetleaf english toffee flavored is great)
1/4c chopped pecans
¼ cup raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1/4c chopped almonds
6-8 raw cocoa beans chopped, or 1/8c raw cocoa nibs
1t vanilla extract or the inside of a bean
1c cauliflower
1 egg

Cream coconut oil, nut butter, and sugar replacers. Stir in the rest of dry ingredients. Cook 1c cauliflower until tender (eh, used the microwave), drain, and press moisture out of the florets with a paper towel. Puree. Add to dough with vanilla and egg.

Drop on baking sheet and press down with a fork. Bake 45 minutes at 300 degrees for cakier less "done" cookies. I guess you'd turn the over hotter and bake for a shorter time for crisper cookies. I didn't want to heat the dough up too much.

About 22g ECC for the batch. I got 12 cookies out of it.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-08, 10:22
Experimenter

BF:

Do you know what equivalency of sugar the stevia would be? It seems like stevia blends range all over the place.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-08, 18:55
LCing for health!

Plan: GF whole foods
Stats: 160/140/140 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Honestly, I don't know if the stevia made much of a difference. Maybe the steviaplus packets would be better. I used 1/4t of the liquid. 1/2 or even a full t might be more potent. However, I don't think stevia is heat stable even though some literature says it is. The batter always tastes sweeter than the baked product. The blend of sugar alcohols would probably be sweet enough.

Major portion control issues with these babies. Will make them again at gw, maybe.
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-08, 16:25

Stats: 282.8/244.2/120 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Do you know what equivalency of sugar the stevia would be? It seems like stevia blends range all over the place.

From what I've read 6-9 drops of stevia = 1 T sugar, 2-3 drops of stevia = 1 ts sugar.

That's from the sweetleaf site.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-08, 10:17
Experimenter

BF:

Ok, I've had to eliminate my chocolate desserts for awhile, I think chocolate is giving me intestinal issues

So I'm onto pumpkin!

I can't give you proportions because I didn't measure most things but try it yourself, the mistakes are pretty tasty.

Zippy Pumpkin Custard

Melt some butter in a microwavable bowl, like a soup bowl.
Add some sweetener, about 1-2 Tbl equivalent to sugar.
Mix well
Add in pumpkin. I'm guessing 1/3 cup.
Add in loads of cinnamon and ginger
Add some lemon juice (couple of teaspoons perhaps)

Mix very well.

Crack an egg on top and mix in thoroughly.
(Notice, this process uses only one dish!)
Sprinkle more cinnamon on top (if you're a cinnamon junkie like I am)
Microwave for 1-2 minutes but don't overcook!
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-08, 15:28

BF:

Nancy that sounds pretty good. I like

coconut oil
pumpkin
almond butter
maple extract
sweetener and salt, but not much of either
cinnamon, or apple or pumpkin pie spice blend

I just zap it until its hot and the coconut oil melts.
I expect an egg would be good, but I have to watch how many I eat.

I have a new favorite treat. Chocolate unfortunately.
Artisana coconut butter melted and mixed with Green and Black's organic baking chocolate. I like to make a big batch and add a smidge of vanilla and some salt for a richer flavor.

I call this stuff 'frosting' because it has that slightly gritty mouthfeel that some frostings can have, and it is excellent to spread on things.

Bummer about the chocolate. Do you think its the chocolate itself or cross contamination with something? I'm glad you posted about the Lindt 85% containing barley. I noticed my body didn't like it, but didn't expect wheat in my pure chocolate! I'm back to Green and Blacks. 72%

Last edited by Bat Spit : Wed, Jan-30-08 at 15:35.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-08, 15:32

BF:

Today was baking day.

Here's my 'brownie' recipe, finally. I'm very pleased with it. I think it might be good with honey to be more paleoish, but I bet date sugar or maple sugar would be better with the chocolate.

21/4 c almond flour (or, 50-50 with hazelnut flour)
56g cold lard (much easier to weigh this out.) Butter would probably work ok, but has to be very cold. I'm not sure ghee has enough structure.
1tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c powdered egg white
1/2 c less 1T dutch cocoa powder
1 whole egg
9 drops sweetzfree or other sweetener
2T macadamia nut oil or other neutral liquid oil
1T vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp butter extract (if not using real butter)
Water

Cut cold fat into flour, add dry ingredients, mix well.
Separately beat egg and other wet ingredients. Add to dry ingredients.
Add cold water by T until you have a nice glopy batter. It should be wet, but hold its shape if dropped on a cookie sheet. Probably 2-5 T depending on a lot of variables.

Bake at 400 for 11 mins.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-08, 16:46
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Spit
Bummer about the chocolate. Do you think its the chocolate itself or cross contamination with something? I'm glad you posted about the Lindt 85% containing barley. I noticed my body didn't like it, but didn't expect wheat in my pure chocolate! I'm back to Green and Blacks. 72%

I don't know! I am hoping it is cross contamination. Actually I'm hoping it is something other than this chocolate. Trader Joe's had Belgium unsweetened chocolate. And I have about 10 12 oz bars in the cupboard. Nothing in it but chocolate. Anyway, there are a few other things I've eliminated as well so it could be something else. I decided to wait until things seem normal before trying again. That's taking a few days for my body to decide to try to go #2 again after that last episode...

Bat Spit, do drop the batter in your brownie recipe on a cookie sheet? Or pour it into a pan like normal brownies?