Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 11:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Atkins and South Beach diet hurting potato growers"

Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Atkins and South Beach diet hurting potato growers

JIM BROWN

link to article

CHARLOTTETOWN--The Island's potato industry has faced hard times before, but rarely have prospects been this bleak, says Ivan Noonan, general manager of the P.E.I. Potato Board.
Overseas shipments have shrivelled up and the number of truckloads crossing the Confederation Bridge for destinations in the U.S. and Central Canada, have plunged by more than 1,400 over the same period last year.

Overproduction is the worst problem, but growers are facing something else that is taking a big chunk out of their sales - the continued, and growing, popularity of low-carb diets such as the South Beach and Atkins diet, said Noonan.

By some accounts the diets have led to a reduction in consumption of potato products in the U.S., including french fries, of as much as 10 per cent.

Bread has also taken a hit.

Growers in Idaho have committed $2 million towards a campaign to fight the "myths and half-truths" perpertuated by proponents of the diets, said Noonan, adding science has shown that people who stick to the diets for long periods of time suffer health consequences.

The National Potato Council, meanwhile, has committed more than $4 million.

The Island's 550 plus growers aren't in a position to launch a similar campaign, said Noonan.

"We don't have the money," he said, adding a marketing campaign was recently organized for Toronto and other major Central Canadian markets.

Noonan stressed overproduction and lack of overseas markets remain the larger problem for the Island's 550 plus growers, and he is confident that fad diets, such as the Atkins diet, will run their course.

It would be nice, he admitted, if that happened sooner, rather than later.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 14:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Better start growing some other veggies! Cauliflower gets crazy expensive here.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 17:03

Plan: my own
Stats: 35/35/22 Female 5'5.5''
BF::(/:(/:)
Progress: 0%

That may be true but i bet the broccoli and cabbage and cauliflower(etc.) growers are smiling.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 17:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/190/180 Male 69 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 87%

your health don't matter as long as their % are up

Lez
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 17:14

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%

I'm with you let them grow Turnips, cauliflower, spaghetti squash... those are all Very Expensive compared to potatoes
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 17:20

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Growers in Idaho have committed $2 million towards a campaign to fight the "myths and half-truths" perpertuated by proponents of the diets, said Noonan, adding science has shown that people who stick to the diets for long periods of time suffer health consequences.

Really? And what "long term study" would that be and why hasn't it been splashed on headlines across the country? Low carb adversaries would love to point to such as study, but even they admit that no such study exists.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 19:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Oh yeah, turnips are sold in drams here, they're so expensive. And it makes me mad, I love them so much. I look at what they have at the store, outrageously expensive and obviously been on display way too long because the're slimey.