Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-18, 03:06

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Sadly, both those little booklets are Out of Print. There is another small book in the works but Dr Westman has been saying that all year. The clinic diet is easy to find on-line, in the back of WWGF, on DD, Go Keto with Casey, etc. And on the FB page, there is a list of resources including a link at HealClinic to get a version of "page 4" distilled down to one column on one page. Akeka added it in next post.

Why We Get Fat is still my favorite book to encourage others to go low carb...Dr Westman's simple clinic diet is in the back, and a reader can dip into the history and chapters as they get more curious about how eating LC works. As Taubes called it, it is the airplane reading version. More organized than DANDR.

Even simplier, I carry copies of the DietDoctor one page tri-fold brochure to hand out if anyone asks. https://www.dietdoctor.com/wp-conte...folder_1803.pdf

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Nov-03-18 at 06:43.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-18, 06:14

Plan: keto
Stats: 211/177.5/150 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 55%

You can get Dr. Westman's food list from his Healcare website for free. The url is: https://healclinics.com/dr-westman-page-4/
  #93   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-18, 06:29

Thanks for posting that link to get the one column outline from Heal. This version is stripped down to the very basics, not even a list of which non-starchy vegetables are allowed, but it is a great starting point.
  #94   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-18, 04:34

The December support meeting included Dr Westman explaining his history in LC, including a photo with Dr Atkins. Some stunning success stories, and Kristie Sullivan's launch of her new book, Keto Gatherings. Again, audio is uneven, using earphones helps. No professional video staff here https://youtu.be/mgo_kcmeXBI

Article by Dr Atkins' Nurse, Jackie Eberstein, The Atkins Diet is the foundation of HealCare, https://healclinics.com/the-atkins-...-healcare-plan/

Heal has added a Holiday Resource Center, Recipes, articles about getting through the holidays, and including a gift recipe card for Keto mixes, gift tags, cute!. https://healclinics.com/holiday-keto-resource-center/

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Dec-07-18 at 04:39.
  #95   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-19, 07:47

Heal Clinic added a New Year's Keto Resource center, links to videos and podcasts with Dr. Westman, with some of Kristie Sullivan's best Forms and Start guides. https://healclinics.com/new-years-keto-resource-center/ Much good start information.

And for anyone who misses Dr. Atkins, dead 25 years, his nurse Jackie Eberstein still carries on. She works with HealClinic now, bridging what Dr. Atkins actually used in his clinic and new keto and fasting research. She has a terrific presentation given at the January support group meeting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9d...HaFtuEeY5fFRoNg If sound still a problem, try it with a headset, and it gets better.
No professional audio visuals here

Starts out with Atkins-Westman history, then “Personalized Strategies for Lifetime Success.” This meeting was loaded with tips and tactics on creating habits for sustained weight loss and glowing health including:

• Four easy rules for long-term success
• Reasons people fail on a keto diet
• Personal and social factors that must be overcome
• Importance of support structure
• Hormonal challenges in women (especially over 50)
• Patience and perseverance

She tried Fasting herself just recently (skipping breakfast) and is now in support of it after 40 years, always open to new research. I was blessed to be able to talk with her about losing the "last ten" when I was on a hormonal cancer drug in 2012. In addition to going back to no wine, no nuts, she also suggested dropping the cheese. It is only 4 oz. but way too easy to overeat, can drop it to 2 oz, which is so little, best to eliminate until at your goal.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jan-13-19 at 08:06.
  #96   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-19, 06:50

The audio and video for the archive is getting better each monthly meeting Here's last night's meeting...a terrific talk by Amy Berger on
"Keto and Mental Health"

https://www.facebook.com/HEALclinic...52439498974621/

Quote:
From Amy's Blog:
If you haven’t been able to make it to any of the low carb or keto events where I’ve presented in the past, you’re in luck …
You can watch me speak LIVE at the Durham, North Carolina low carb support group meeting on Tuesday, March 5 at 6:30pm. Tune in by going to the Facebook page for HEAL Clinics – they will broadcast it live right there on the page. Dr. Eric Westman, Durham and Duke University’s king of keto, will kick things off, but then I’ll be giving a presentation on keto for mental & emotional health issues.

If you and/or someone you love deal with anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, mood swings, panic attacks, or any other mental, emotional, or psychological issue, you’ll want to watch if you can. (But no worries if you’re not available at that time – you’ll be able to catch it anytime afterward on the HEAL Clinic page.) I’ll be talking about mechanisms behind why and how ketogenic diets can be beneficial for these conditions. I mean, weight loss? Sure. Diabetes? Old news. Tell me something I don’t know, right? How about physiological and biochemical reasons why keto is a stunningly logical and rational thing to try for anyone dealing with these difficult-to-treat issues?

It will be very similar to the video I did on this topic for my YouTube channel, but this will be the live version, so hopefully there’ll be some fun interaction with the audience, and I’ll know some of you out there will be watching, too, which will keep me even more energetic and enthusiastic.

With the new "club drug" for depression approved in the news today, I would quote Amy's last slide, channelling Rob Wolf....Try it for a month or two!!..What have you got to lose???

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Mar-06-19 at 07:30.
  #97   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-19, 07:09

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Thank you, Janet, as always, for these excellent resources. I just printed out a copy of the DietDoctor leaflet as a handy reminder.

Since I've let the Weight Creep have its way for a while, I'm in a tougher place than before with my LC adherence. Getting older causes new restrictions to apply and bad habits to create worse consequences. Still, the advantages of LC are many, not the least of which, for me, is not counting anything: calories, macros, percentages, etc. Just do what the list says, and you're on the path. And try to be philosophical when the weight doesn't just drop off like it used to.

Now I'm going to put my copy of WWGF front and center.

Best wishes.
  #98   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-19, 07:34

You are welcome...That one page leaflet to print out now has two versions. One titled Low Carb, the other Keto. so I carry both in my purse to hand out depending on what the person has asked.

Can find it here in this summary of all Keto articles on DD.: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/guides
  #99   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-19, 07:41

BF:

Thanks again, Janet. FYI, the DD KETO pamphlet is exactly the same as the original Low carb pamphlet, with a simple change in the title. We knew it was the same idea, right? I've read that some Keto advocates get into the weeds talking about increased fats, macros, etc. But essentially, low carb is low carb--to whatever degree works for you, whether you call it Atkins, LCHF, Keto, or something else which will be along any day now. I'm happy.

P. S. If I were revising this pamphlet, I'd add a section on Intermittent Fasting, which seems like an important variation in the LC plan that many people find effective.
  #100   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-19, 07:44

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
The audio and video for the archive is getting better each monthly meeting Here's last night's meeting...a terrific talk by Amy Berger on
"Keto and Mental Health"

https://www.facebook.com/HEALclinic...52439498974621/

With the new "club drug" for depression approved in the news today, I would quote Amy's last slide, channelling Rob Wolf....Try it for a month or two!!..What have you got to lose???

After a lifetime of "treatment resistant" depression I credit my low carb real food diet with the restoration of my mental health. I tried all the drugs that were available. Nothing worked and caused nasty side effects not to mention how difficult it is to get off of them (I did that myself by titrating very slowly until they were gone). I would no sooner take that new drug than eat an ice cream sundae.
  #101   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-19, 08:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Thanks again, Janet. FYI, the DD KETO pamphlet is exactly the same as the original Low carb pamphlet, with a simple change in the title. We knew it was the same idea, right? I've read that some Keto advocates get into the weeds talking about increased fats, macros, etc. But essentially, low carb is low carb--to whatever degree works for you, whether you call it Atkins, LCHF, Keto, or something else which will be along any day now. I'm happy.

P. S. If I were revising this pamphlet, I'd add a section on Intermittent Fasting, which seems like an important variation in the LC plan that many people find effective.

I know...it seems younger people have heard of Keto through social media, old folks like me tend to use Low Carb...Whatever! as my DD would say. It IS the same brochure.

Amy talks against "macros" at the end in the Q & A ..her video is titled:

No such thing as keto macros!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KI5PszYdHo
  #102   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-19, 09:14

BF:

Yep. I get what Amy is saying. Makes me a little wistful, because now that I'm over 70, low-carb, with delicious fats included, must also take into consideration a reduction in the total amount of food (especially fat) consumed. It feels a lot like the old calorie-restricted diets, which it officially isn't. But unofficially? Perhaps. No BulletProof coffee for me. And no heavy cream in it either.
  #103   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-19, 09:25

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

She talks about our diet which is " nutrient insufficiency" and I hit that conclusion this last year when delving into ADHD and hypothyroid issues. Our good food may not have enough because our soils are depleted of the minerals-- the producers are not replenishing those minerals and the produce grown on those depleted fields therefore don't have the levels they used to have 10- 20-50 years ago......a good reason to consider gardening and a few chickens for everyone. And the benefits of keto....How wonderful that keto allows us to use the amounts available without supplementing.

Her ADD/ADHD knowledge is limited; her railing that is is just a sugar high is NOT true for those with real ADD/ADHD. My son is a great example for me to study the effects of his foods of choice. My son also has low seratonin levels as well. When BOTH dopamine and seratonins are elevated to normal levels he is very different. These two work in balance, like ying and yang. ( Dr Daniel AMen is my resource.)

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Wed, Mar-06-19 at 09:41.
  #104   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-19, 09:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
After a lifetime of "treatment resistant" depression I credit my low carb real food diet with the restoration of my mental health. I tried all the drugs that were available. Nothing worked and caused nasty side effects not to mention how difficult it is to get off of them (I did that myself by titrating very slowly until they were gone). I would no sooner take that new drug than eat an ice cream sundae.

Thank you for sharing. I wil my share my story too in hopes others will benefit too.

Years ago I had severe depression, and was given Zoloft. My life was sitting on a couch zoned out. Doctor left clinic and could not get to see another one for monthly visit--- and not get a refill. So I too weaned myself off the Zoloft. Spring was arriving and I was feeling better. I vowed to not let the depression return, afraid of the onset of fall. Determined to find the happy things in life despite a stressful job, learned to get into sunshine.... a slow process when I was totally on my own and not knowing the need for sun has a name, so hard to search the internet..... but this last winter I was great and didnt have an off day.... by controlling other aspects in my life I too dont need the drugs that hurt more than help.

My depression was triggered by a very stressfull job, the best was not good enough, indoors all the time, ate high carb diet and 5-6 cups of coffee filled with cream and sugar. And the self talk was that life was serious and laughing had no place........ find ways to laugh even in the face of adversity, pursue better food, have fun, learn how to be happier and healthier....
  #105   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-19, 10:00

BF:

Iodine---- as a victim of surgery where half my thyroid organelles were removed to remove an unrelated tumor--- my iodine research showed me that iodine has become low in the American diet as bromates replaced iodine in the breads back in the 1970's because we Americans were getting too much iodine and causing thyroid issues due to TOO MUCH iodone. ( Hmm maybe we just need to stop eating the bread. ) Flouride and Bromide interfere with iodide use in the body-- often the same pick up points, so if bromide gets there first, that pick up point is filled and cannot pick up iodine. Flouride does the same thing. ( We switched to baking soda which is far less abrasive than any toothpaste on the comparison list, and are experiencing BETTER mouth health.) For those that do bake, there are non-bromated flours, like King Arthur. But no one here bakes, right ?

I use iodized salt to support the remaining function as the doctors have been negligent monitoring my situation.

While cooking, I salt everything with both equal amounts of sea salt and iodized salts. No canned foods, no pre-packaged foods, and little bread ( kids) so salt is a reasonable level. ( Safe sodium levels are much higher than we are told. Japanese consume about 6 grams a day; their thryoid issues are driven by HIGH iodide from their high seafood diet.)

While I am an n=1, thyroid function has definitely improved. ( And it has additive effect when combined with a keto diet.)

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Wed, Mar-06-19 at 10:10.