Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-20, 01:47
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%
Default Chocolate Pudding From Boiled Eggs

This is from Maria Emmerich.

Hard Boiled Egg Pudding

She invented this as a way to get some eggs into her (then-baby) son, who didn't seem to like them. I don't think she's a fan of protein powders, and I wouldn't be for feeding a baby, either. He loved it.

I saw her post this on twitter a few times and thought it sounded awful! Then, I had boiled eggs that I pretty much forgot about and would have had to throw out anyway... so I tried it. I was wrong. It's not something I think I'll make regularly, but certainly an appealing way to avoid wasting boiled eggs when I'm already boiled-egged-out. I think it would also be good for if you're ill, have had dental work, or you're otherwise trying to get some protein in you and a sweet treat is feeling like the only way to do it.

Here is the version I made, since it's what I had on hand:
- 3 peeled boiled eggs
- 2 Tbsp cream + water to thin as needed
- 3 packets Sweet n' Low (cyclamate) - I'm out of Splenda
- 1 heaping Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch salt (not sure what the purpose of this is? Maybe I'll ask her...)

I omitted the cinnamon since I don't care for it combined with chocolate.

I just whizzed everything up in my Magic Bullet. You really have to beat the crap out of it. If you think you're done, keep going. And be sure to let it sit in the fridge overnight. That mellows it out.

I'm not a big fan of the cyclamate, and it was a bit too sulfury-eggy still (I overcooked those eggs), so I chopped up 2 sq of 90% chocolate to put on top. That did the trick.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-20, 02:41

Plan: low carb/keto
Stats: 234.8/215.2/154 Female 163cm
BF:
Progress: 24%

I've been meaning to try making a low carb chocolate pudding but none of the recipes have appealed to me (lots based on avocado or gelatin). This looks really good! Love that you added some chopped choc on top.

How was the taste? Was it 'eggy' at all?

Also, do you know how many grams or teaspoons are in a packet of splenda? I only have the kind in the box so I'm guessing you can substitute 1:1?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-20, 05:36
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

The taste was pretty good; sort of like other puddings I've made from protein powder. Not as nice as real stovetop pudding, but gets the job done. Mine had a bit of that sulfur taste because I overcooked the eggs. If your eggs are done to the point that you like them, they'll work better.

For the Splenda, I believe a packet is equivalent to about a tsp of the granular. You could certainly just do it to taste.

I'm finishing it off this morning, and I think I'll try it with some frozen-and-thawed strawberries added to it. I do feel like it needs something to be distracting from the weirdness.

Last edited by Kristine : Mon, Jun-15-20 at 05:50.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-20, 09:52

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Im sure I would not try this concoction without high praises for it. If a child will eat it, its gotta be pretty good.

To reduce sulfury smell, as its in the yolk, use fewer of the yolks. Give them another job, dont toss.....too many good nutrients.

Salt.... enhances the chocolatiness.

I usually add pinch of cinnamon, and dried coffeee crystals to make a more robust chocolate flavor. Like brownies, cookies, cakes and puddings. All lc , of course.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-20, 17:34

Plan: low carb/keto
Stats: 234.8/215.2/154 Female 163cm
BF:
Progress: 24%

Thanks for answering my questions. Im going to give this a try on the weekend.