Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#256   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-19, 12:53

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Amber OHearn released on Twitter the introduction and first section to her book in progress. Facultative Carnivore.
https://facultativecarnivore.com/
"My Balanced Diet" Includes results with her bi-polar, and thankfully, coffee

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jan-01-19 at 12:58.
Sponsored Links
  #257   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-19, 21:26

Plan: Atkins / Keto / ZC
Stats: 182/130/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quick update on my ZC experiment:

I made the decision to stay meat only for the foreseeable future.

Cheese constipates me. So does milk kefir, even raw milk kefir. This disappoints me, but for Jan 2019, Iam quitting cheese and milk kefir. I want to get back to 💩 every few days.

Chocolate (90%) constipates me.

Coffee really irritates me (I have had one cup of coffee for the past few days), so I am quitting both normal and decaf.

I am running for 25 minutes now, at a 7:30 pace per km. Running is a poor description of what I do, 3/4 pace is a more apt one.

I gained 5 lb after turning ZC 6 months ago, but took off the weight. I sit at 134 lb. I need to update my profile. I have maintained a 60 lb weight loss for two years.

My glossitis is still present. ORTHOTROPICS May help, so am taping my mouth shut at night to avoid mouth breathing.

I feel good, but I often flag after eating steak. I wonder if my insulin response is big? I don’t know.

I tested my blood glucose every couple of hours, eating ZC, and it varied from 5.4 in morning to 4.2, so my blood sugar is not that stable, when eating meat, small amounts of cheese and raw milk kefir) I will do another round of BG tests eating meat only at some point in January.

Overall, my energy levels are fine, and I feel great!

I need to get to the bottom of why I am occasionally tired after eating. I am 60 this year. Maybe that is why?
  #258   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-19, 02:58

Plan: keto
Stats: 156/127.8/125 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

when I overeat, I sometimes get a bit sleepy. I am over 60 and pretty sensitive to protein, so eating heavier protein and less fat can do that to me too. our glucose changes all the time and 4.2 to 5.4 is pretty good.
  #259   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-19, 03:28

Mintaka, "feeling great" is a awesome year end wrap up! Best wishes that 2019 is another fabulous and healthy year for you.

Dr Westman will first mention More Salt! as an answer to constipation. Low carb is dehydrating and the bowel a master exactractor of water, so a reason to take both more water and salt to keep fluids in bowels. But I can see only meat being even more constipating and maybe a need for adding electrolytes. And also the reason for being tired after eating? When I’m doing time restricted eating, I keep a liter of Keto-ade type water in the fridge and try to drink that rather than plain water. I don’t normally suggest or use myself MCT oil, but I hear it moves things along, plus gives energy and since you are managing your G:K ratio for therapeutic reasons, maybe consider adding if you don’t use it already.
Bummer about the chocolate and coffee though...my favorite "plant extracts"
  #260   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-19, 05:32

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

So happy to hear that you are feeling great. Your story is one that inspires me.
  #261   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-19, 13:32

Another great podcast on the Carnivore Diet with Amber O'Hearn.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/video/podcast#11
  #262   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 06:31

Plan: Carnivore 95%
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress:

I started zc last march. And nearly zc 3 months before. I had no transition problem, all great from the start.

If I tell you that a VEGAN friend told me he could see me recover my energy!

BEST PROOF!

I am a fan of cycling things in general, but maybe because I love mangoes and chirimoyas and grow them... So I am off at the moment, and hummm gas is on! I think I am going to try also with Nemechek protocol, with inulin, at least with chicory coffee and home grown yacon, as I am not fond of buying supp when I have the necessary stuff.

About FB group, try "100% carnivore and beyond", they are great! They do bash vegans, but openly say this is for discharging the nervous system from the violence of some vegans on them. I can honestly say I have had many laughs at the jokes! When laughing is for this, it plays its role of nervous system regulation.

I have suggested to change the title for 99% but they did not... Though they actually eat 1% veg, most of them.

I do not know my %, but for sure I have olive oil, coconut oil, cacao butter, turmeric, ginger, avocado.
If needed, I also have dandelion greens or parsley, etc, as it helps to make stomach acid.
And I decided that any way, once per year, I will eat all my mangoes and chirimoyas! I am bloated now but I love them too much!

A lot of people have also herbs, onion and garlic. ...with their ribeye! A lot of them have coffee and even chocolate.

DAIRIES: I saw about constipation with dairies... Well, I have organic local raw goat cheese, so the best. And it was regulating me when I was eating more plants.

I was constipated for the first time ever when on zc and quickly found out that it was coming from dairies though goat ones... But some can be ok if eaten mixed with meat.

About kefir: try to do it more acidic by keeping it longer.
Or try to find fresh whey, as kefir will also grow in it. I barter avocados for it with an organic goat breeder... Don't be jealous, each place has its own advantage but also drawbacks!

Also, you will get a faster transit if you eat gelatin stuffs. They are the animal fiber! Ox tail and all about broth with skin, connective tissues and cartilaginous bones.

And the gut has to do with the autonomic nervous system - ANS - so when this gets better from feeling less aggression from the food or anything in the environment, digestion will get better too, as the body will have more energy for its metabolism needs. We need a para-sympathetic state but cannot force it, we can just give ourselves the best living conditions we can.
  #263   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 06:39

Plan: Carnivore 95%
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress:

#264   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 13:04

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I'm in the middle of my first week with Very Low Carb, Atkins Induction levels, which I have never done before! I started Atkins at 50 a day and it worked for many years. But now I have health challenges and this Epi-Paleo thing is already working for me.

No veg, though. Avocado, cucumbers, and olives: which are technically fruit.
  #265   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-19, 07:39

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Yes, but isn't fruit technically vegetable?
  #266   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-19, 07:49

Forgot to mention Amber’s new interview focuses on diet and mental health. Her bi-polar T2, Mentions dr Westman’s case study on schizophrenia, her thoughts on the connections etc
  #267   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-19, 08:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Yes, but isn't fruit technically vegetable?

People classify them by “fun” instead of botanical taxonomy.
  #268   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-19, 08:02

New:

The Ultimate Guide to the Carnivore Diet
Co-Written by L. Amber O’Hearn and Raphael Sirtoli
Scientifically Reviewed by Sarah Neidler, PhD

https://nutrita.app/guide-to-the-ca...WFtDZjEHOnCv5JQ

Quote:
Table of Contents
What is the carnivore diet?
Keto vs Paleo vs Carnivore: just a new trend?
How can carnivore diets be ketogenic when they have so much protein?
Are there any dangers to carnivore diets?
Humans: carnivores or omnivores?
Humans need meat
Don't humans need plants?
Anti-nutrients and metabolic changes
Potassium
Magnesium
Vitamin C
Won’t I need supplements on the carnivore diet?
Won’t the carnivore diet leave me fiber deficient?
Can a carnivore diet be healthy?
Are carnivores just as crazy as vegans?
Why are so many carnivores into Bitcoin?
Conclusion
  #269   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-19, 11:15

BF:

Thanks, Janet, good stuff!
  #270   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-19, 12:41

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I like this part:

Quote:
But what about gut health? Shouldn’t fiber help with idiopathic constipation (i.e. constipation with no known cause)? Apparently not. Singaporean researchers found that “patients who stopped or reduced dietary fiber had significant improvement in their symptoms while those who continued on a high fiber diet had no change”. They conclude that “ Idiopathic constipation and its associated symptoms can be effectively reduced by stopping or even lowering the intake of dietary fiber” [55]. It seems like the carnivore diet’s lack of plant fiber isn’t obviously harmful – although this doesn’t entail that any amount of fiber more than zero is bad.

In recent years, claims have shifted toward ideas about colon health. The idea is that because fibre is fermented into short chain fatty acids (SCFAs), and because SCFAs are readily used for energy by the colon, and because one SCFA, butyrate, has positive effects on colon health when it’s metabolised, that therefore we need fibre to keep our colons healthy. There are many issues with this chain of reasoning.

One is that fibre isn’t the only source of SCFAs. We can, and do, make them out of proteins as well [56]. Second, just because a cell uses something for energy doesn’t mean it’s necessarily the best source of energy. Alcohol is readily used in the bloodstream, above other sources. That doesn’t make it good. Third, the most important metabolite of butyrate is a ketone body, D-beta-hydroxybutyrate, and it’s not clear how much of the positive effects of butyrate would be met just as well by a ketogenic diet (see my in-depth blog post on this).

Another relevant observation is that one specific type of bacteria, Akkermansia Muciniphila, is increased on ketogenic diets [57] and when fasting [58] (suggesting it isn’t from any plant foods consumed on ketogenic diets). This bacteria is widely held to be beneficial, because it correlates inversely with metabolic syndrome. Giving it to mice even delays the development of obesity and insulin resistance [59]. These bacteria live right in the mucosal layer of the colon feeding on the mucous and in turn producing butyrate. So it’s quite plausible that a ketogenic diet increases the availability of butyrate to the colon due to bacteria, but not the ones that make it out of plant fibre.

It makes very little sense to develop a theory of what a healthy gut biome looks like by suggesting it should match the biome of healthy people, and then to turn around and reject a diet that improves someone’s health because the biome doesn’t match your previous data. Until we know a lot more, a healthy gut biome should be defined as the gut biome of a healthy person.

While none of these points prove that we wouldn’t benefit from more fibre, they point out weaknesses in the pro-fiber arguments. The fibre-for-the-colon arguments are largely speculative. This is another area where some basic research on outcomes in carnivorous diets would be very helpful. Certainly many of the people currently enjoying a carnivore diet are doing it specifically because the lack of fibre reduces inflammation in the colon.
Closed Thread