Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-18, 20:46

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Thanksgiving Strategies

Hi Guys!

Looking forward to tomorrow's Thanksgiving feast! I have a plan in place and I wanted to share and find out what you are all doing to succeed on what is arguably the biggest eating day of the year.

First, I will eat a large meal of MY food in the morning. I won't "not eat all day so I can pig out!" , simply because there WILL be temptations, and I want to have maximum control. Being not that hungry (blood sugar steady, ghrelin quiet, satiety met...) gives me that power.

Second, I plan to eat turkey and the salad. there are about 60 people attending our gathering, and I am responsible for one of the green salads. Today I bought 4 bags of kale-based (NO Romaine) mixed greens, seeds and dried cranberries with vinaigrette, plus a big box of fresh baby spinach. I plan to mix the spinach with the kale mixed greens and then PULL out a couple of big handfuls for myself and set aside. I will dress the rest for the masses (seeds, dried fruit, pre-made dressing...) and I will put a simple oil and lemon juice on mine.

As for dessert, well of course--> NONE! *I may make a small sugar-free pumpkin-pudding and some unsweetened whip cream in the morning that I can look forward to having once we are back home. IF I feel deprived, if the spread of pies and cakes start calling my name at the big event, I can just remind myself that MY pumpkin pie is waiting at home. I don't anticipate that feeling, but just in case, I will have my own "100% allowed" treat waiting for me in the fridge.

As for alcohol, I may have one glass of red, I may not. I don't care too much either way, so I might just end up drinking water and really good coffee all afternoon/evening. *DH's cousin-in-law is a big-wig for a pretty big coffee company (rhymes with Larduck's ) SO, the coffee will be flowing!

There will be games and music and lots of visiting with family from as far away as Alaska and New Mexico.

I'm really looking forward to a relaxing day of socializing, talking to people and not thinking constantly about the food!

What is YOUR strategy?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-18, 14:45

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%

Wow, this has a bunch of responses (including one from me) before the crash!

* I made nut-based stuffing. (Whizzed some pecans & almonds in my Ninja to make a grainy texture. Added onion, celery, and the same seasoning I used on the bird... Tasted amazing, so I just stopped.)

* The stuffing that went in the bird had some mushrooms chopped in. (My "exotics" blend. Turns out mushrooms have a lot of carbs, so I'm sparing.... but the taste is SO good, as are the health benefits. I figure it's a trade-off.) My daughter doesn't like mushrooms, so we did a separate pan for her, without. I covered the top of that with butter, and laid 3 strips of bacon on top (so it would be nice & juicy, just like the stuff in the bird.)

* The green beans were cooked up in some butter, a touch of lemon juice, some garlic, and the (still "soft") bacon that went on the stuffing.

* Roasted brussels sprouts... again, LOTS of butter went on these as they went in the oven.

* Crustless pumpkin pie, with stevia for sweetener. (And, obviously, heavy cream replacing the milk. Family recipe calls for JUST "milk", not "condensed" or evaporated.) NOT my best pie this year... (I didn't follow the recipe when it came to spices, and you could tell. Don't mess with perfection.)

THere were also potatoes and gravy on the table, but I had plenty to eat without those!

After Thanksgiving, I gained. 0.2 lbs.

If we "skip" Thanksgiving, and go from my Wednesday weight, I'm now DOWN .4 lbs.

Not bad!
(Yes, I'm still on Induction.... and yes, I weigh daily. I like lots of data-points on my graph.)

How were your results?

Last edited by LiterateGr : Sat, Nov-24-18 at 14:47. Reason: Some of my formatting didn't "take" the first time.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-18, 16:39

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi Lit!

That Crash was CRAZY!!!

I've stayed EXACTLY on plan....down about another pound. YAY!

Parties all weekend- but I'm good.

meat and greens- simple.

jams
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-18, 18:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

It was just a quiet, fuss-free Thanksgiving at home with hubs and me. We made Cornish hens instead of cooking a turkey. I made Stovetop stuffing and a baked potato for DH, and we both had baby carrots and a can of Coors Light. I had black cherry sugar-free gelatin for dessert; DH had ice cream. Easy, peaceful, delicious and on plan. Lots to be thankful for!

Last edited by barb712 : Sat, Nov-24-18 at 18:15.