Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 06:55
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi Everyone

I didn't read all the way back on this thread, somehow caught it by accident. But from the few I've read I feel peolple longing for bread and also in my age group - I'm 48 - quit smoking in December 2002 and gained 20lbs within a month - NEVER quit smoking when the house is stocked with turkey stuffing, nanaimo bars, 12 year old cheddar and after eights I've never gained weight like that before and never been able to not lose before - I kinda lived my life by the 3 pound rule - if you get more than 3 pounds over your ideal weight then control what you eat till you lose it - at times I even took it too far so as to be underweight. I am one who extremely lo carb dosent work for (although it did in the past - when Atkins first came out I was right on it and Stillman and did lose about a pound a day - but I was in my teens and early twenties then) The thing I missed most though was BREAD, I'm still doing lo carb - though compared to Atkins SPII is better described as controlled carb. I've found a bread that is 13 carbs and about 112 calories 4 grms fibre for two slices. In Canada it's sold as "President's Choice To Good To Be True Bran Bread. It's a small loaf in a green and white wrapper - Loblaws, Independant, Super Stores all carry PC products - and from what I read in the flyers I think that the same products are available in the US but I don't know for sure . If not some carefull label reading might turn up a similar product. I might sound strange to you but this bread saves my life - I can do without sugar, do without fat, do without protein but CAN'T live without a sandwich once in a while. (tho since I found this bread I admit I have them more often - skinny little sandwiches yes but still it's somehting you can hold in your hand and dig into)
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 18:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by joizienew
I became a contributing member by paying $15 dollars. I think it just means that I am a member who donated some money to the cost of running the show. I don't know for sure as yet.

Oh, that must be what it means. Well, now I feel cheap because I didn't contribute nuttin', honey! You'll like the Oroweat...it takes just like regular bread (even though I prefer white). I don't really miss the bread except for hamburgers and hot dogs. I do buy 100% whole wheat buns but still won't eat those very often. Bread in general slows down my weight loss. It's mostly a treat for me.

Morgan
  #138   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 19:15
Contributing Member

Plan: Protein Power (loosly)
Stats: 165/158/158 Female 5'8"
BF:I don't know
Progress: 100%

Well, this week was payday for me and I was feeling generous.
I am happy having just one slice of bread a day, in the morning with an egg, and at just 7 carbs per slice I don't feel as if I am shooting myself in the foot. I have tried to make my own low carb bread in the past using Atkins powder and it was pretty horrible. So I'm enjoying this new stuff.
  #139   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 19:38

Stats: 162/141.2/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:Not A Clue!!
Progress: 44%

County Joe and The Fish! Yes, indeedy!!! I'm 50 and the DH is 52! I think it is harder to lose as you get older, especially if you've been on meds!

I didn't have time to read thru all the posts, but I wanted to pop in and say "Hello!" My mother just turned 76 and would like to get her doing the Atkins WOE. She has Type II Diabetes and is eating all the wrong stuff. She initially dropped 40 lbs when first diagnosed, but the weight is creeping back up on her. She thinks I'm crazy for doing this diet, she says it's dangerous. I'd rather do this than end up where she's at right now!! I can't even convince her to read the book!

O-well!!!
  #140   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 21:46
Contributing Member

Plan: Zone
Stats: 150/142/136 Female 5' 5.5"
BF:30%/26%/23%
Progress: 57%
Default A place for us :)

Hi to all. I, too, just found this thread. Just registered, will be 56 in a few weeks, and have struggled with many of the same issues. My experience with MP is that exercise really helps control the flame-on syndrome. My sympathies to those with injuries and health problems which interfere with exercise programs. I went into severe withdrawal when an attack of plantar fasciaitis (pain in the arch and heel of the foot) stopped my walking program. That's also why I'm back to heavy-duty (maybe not the best modifier) LCing after a year or so of maintaining a very good weight for me. I seem to be doing somewhat better with the foot problem and am walking again----carefully---so as not to end up back in trouble again. As for the loose skin and wrinkles: my theory is that you should cover the loose skin with the snug lower-size clothing you can now wear and forget about it. Smiling through the wrinkles is my solution to those. And when I ask myself whether I want to fill up the wrinkles again the answer is a definite "No!" Good luck to all on this thread. Thanks to Tarheel for starting it!
  #141   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 03:36

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

Hi folks. I not only remember Country Joe MacDonald, but I saw him play in Golden Gate Park back in 1967. As I recall, Quicksilver Messenger Service was the first band that afternoon.

I'm a 56 y.o. male. I've been lucky so far...I'm in 10th week of my diet, and had dropped 40 pounds by the end of the 9th week. (I only weigh myself once a week...any more often and I'd make myself crazy!) I spend a few minutes on a rowing machine 5 days a week...which is more for my back than my diet.

I did Atkins back in the late 70's, and lost 80 pounds then...if I recall correctly, it took me about 7-8 months. I'm really curious to see how long it will take me to lose 80 pounds this time. Unfortunately, I'll still have another 55-60 to go after that happens. This is obviously gonna take a while...but lo-carb is the only kind of diet I've ever done that works for me at all!
  #142   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 07:37
Contributing Member

Welcome Geo...I never saw Country Jo but it's not that I'm not old enough. I also did Atkins a few years ago and lost all the weight I wanted to. I don't know why exactly I stopped and returned to 'low fat', but I think it was just that I needed a change after one year. Of course I immediately gained weight and went around all day feeling deprived and hungry. Now I am more serious about making low carbing a life style and I am exercising along with eating some carbs and making sure I get fiber. I think low carbing is like AA/NA, you're in it for life.
  #143   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 07:42
Contributing Member

Hey Shali, I too am walking nearly every morning and loving the meditation and the beautiful scenery. I found two 3lb bar bells at the thrift store, and I carry them as I walk. I move them around and do different things with them. It really works my arms and stressed muscles accross my shoulders, but it also makes walking more interesting as I change my routine around. I am not really focused on weight loss, only about 10 or 15 lbs is my goal, but my over all body health is a concern. I'm 63 and life just keeps getting better every day so I want to stick around as long as I can.
  #144   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 19:28

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

bump along
  #145   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 08:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 163/146/140 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

joizienew

Have you tried the progesterone creams that are out there, they are a pretty good way of helping with the hot flashes, so I've heard. I have been off HRT for two weeks now and am not really having bad flashes and am sleeping better - how lucky is that!
  #146   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 08:55
Contributing Member

Yes, I did have progesterone cream by perscription in the past. They are very expensive and now I don't have insurance. I tried over the counter pills that were supposed to help with hot flashes, but I started getting a lot of headaches again so I stopped it. What progesterone creams are you referring to? I used Premarin Vaginal Cream. About $60 a tube.
  #147   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 09:04

Stats: 162/141.2/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:Not A Clue!!
Progress: 44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rob
joizienew

Have you tried the progesterone creams that are out there, they are a pretty good way of helping with the hot flashes, so I've heard. I have been off HRT for two weeks now and am not really having bad flashes and am sleeping better - how lucky is that!

Wow! You are extremely lucky! I've been off mine for a month now and supplementing with Boron and multivitamins and it seems to be helping me sleep better, but the hot flashes are still on and off! I'd rather have a few extra hot moments than a lifetime of no energy due to excess weight! Choices............life is full of so many choices!!!!
  #148   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 09:18

Plan: general low-carb
Stats: 194/184/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Good morning all you Fit, Fiesty and over Fifty people! I found you by following joizienew over here. Watch out Joyce! I'm after you! LOL!

Just wanted to inivite all of you over to the Elders Lounge to help with our 'remodel' of that sub-forum. It is supposed to be for 'us', but is terribly under-utilized for now. If we work together, we can turn it into a great spot to discuss problems that pertain mainly to OUR age group. The first order of business is maybe choosing a better name for it since few of us feel 'Elder'!! LOL!

See ya There!
Nance
  #149   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 10:22
Contributing Member

Hey Nance, thanks for the tip, I'm on my way over there right now. (then I gotta shower for work)
  #150   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 10:32

Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by joizienew
Yes, I did have progesterone cream by perscription in the past. They are very expensive and now I don't have insurance. I tried over the counter pills that were supposed to help with hot flashes, but I started getting a lot of headaches again so I stopped it. What progesterone creams are you referring to? I used Premarin Vaginal Cream. About $60 a tube.

Joizienew......

There is a Progesterone Cream that is NOT prescription. We have it at our local health food store (not a chain; privately owned). However, I have not tried it but I'm certain is was not anywhere near $60.00. You might check that out at your local health stores.

Morgan