Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 20:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/150.5/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Still waiting on my order as well

I am still waiting on my order from hoodiahoodia.com and I ordered back in November almost immediately after the 60 minutes episode aired. They have sent out replacements at no charge and even refunded an accidental overcharge caused by a PayPal issue (not their fault), so I don't think they are a scam. I've exchanged several emails with Jen, who is very nice and informative, and they are suspecting theft. And she's offered a refund on more than one occasion. They are now supposedly using Canadian postal with tracking. I'm suppose to get my third replacement order sometime this week. I'm anxious to try this stuff. I've read several testimonials at various websites so I can't wait to see how it goes. Before I got word this weekend that they were sending out an expedited order, I placed another one with hoodiaplace.com. I've done a fair share of research on the product and have heard that "extracts" and "concentrates" are not the real deal in that they are not derived from the "stem" of the plant so are not as potent or something (and they are far cheaper, too, which can be a dead give away-- again from what I've read). Finding one that is 100% pure, from the stem, with no other additives is the goal from what I've read. Anyway, who knows what is truth and isn't online. After reading that everyone else has had problems with their orders I'm skeptical again. Anyway, I'll post again if/when I get it and try it out. Just wanted to share my Hoodia story.

Jill
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 21:48
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Jill:

That's the same story I heard too. They sent my order out so apparently it should be here anytime. We'll see.
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 12:31

Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

I'm still waiting, too -- I exchanged many emails with Jen, finally got the following email:

"Hi: I am sorry for the delay in our response. Your order has been out far too long so I doubt you will receive it now. There are a number of orders that are missing or lost from various shipments. We can either refund you or we can send you a replacement. Please send us an email with either 'refund' or 'replacement' in the subject line. We are very sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks, Chris"

so I asked them to replace the order (January 12) -- I guess I'll see what happens.....

I'm still interested in trying it -- I've been using the Source Naturals stuff (which says it's stem extract 20:1 -- I remember reading somewhere that wasn't the "real" stuff) -- I don't think I'm giving the hoodia a fair trial.

Guess I'll wait a bit longer!
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 12:46

BF:

Hi BKM-
Are you seeing any appetite loss with the extract? Just curious. I'll post again if/when I get my order(s) from hoodiahoodia.com. In the meantime, check out hoodiaplace.com as they seem to have a 100% pure product as well. I'll start on whichever one shows up first. Then I'll let you guys know.

#65   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 13:29

I am taking one tab just as I leave work -- and I am NOT touching anything until I sit down to supper.

Snacking the minute I walk in the door is my (current) worst eating habit! I typically start on almonds (and I'm not talking about a couple!), then eat whatever I can find -- all legal, but typically high calorie. And then I sit down and eat supper, too.

Since I started the SN hoodia, I have not done this -- I make supper before I eat anything.

Also, this past weekend I took 3 of my daughters to the Cheesecake Factory for a mid-shopping snack. I took a hoodia tab approx an hour before we got there. I ordered the low-carb cheesecake and a takeout box -- cut it in half and left 1/2 on my plate. And that (along with coffee) was all that I ate -- even though the girls had appetizers, lattes, and some pretty exotic cheesecakes. I felt pretty darned proud of myself!

At this point I can't say for certain that it's the hoodia -- I need to take it for a while and see consistent results. But it SEEMS to be working. I am not totally uninterested in food, but I am able to control my interest (does that make sense?).

Also, since I started the SN hoodia, I've lost a couple of pounds. I am at my lowest weight since sometime in 2002. Much of the weight loss is what I call my "bloat factor" -- any change and I can get those pounds off -- but about 2 pounds are real weight loss (I think!).

Hope this helps (more than it confuses!).
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 18:52

BF:

Thanks Bonnie. It does make sense. That's great that you are seeing a reduction in appetite with "just" the extract. The Cheesecake Factory is SO hard to resist, so good for you!! Perhaps if the 100% stuff arrives you'll see a total removal of hunger. I'm hoping that happens for me. Although I will plan on eating a little something at my regular meals times.... something healthy, maybe an occasional burger. I get low blood sugar if I don't eat regularly and, although I'm not sure how the Hoodia will affect that, I don't want to have my body think it's starving and screw up my metabolism (could make future weight gain/loss an issue, you know?). I also plan on drinking lots of water since Hoodia supposedly kills thirst too, but I know water is so important. I fell off the LC wagon a few months ago. Can't really say why, but I'm ready to lose the weight again. I'm doing a less strict version of LC, but have been trying to watch my junk eating and sugar. I don't want to go full bore LC anytime soon because in a few months I'm going to go off the pill and see what happens. (So I don't want to start LC hard core, only to have to scale it back again if I get PG.) I'll be 40 in August so we are going to try for #2 for a year. If it happens, great, if doesn't that's cool too. So I'd like to drop 10-15 before we officially start trying. I hope I'll have some good Hoodia news to report soon! Keep me/us posted on how it's going for you.

Jill
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 20:48
Registered Member

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 250/220/220 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress:

I just started using the NOW brand Hoodia, and I must say, I am in love. Used in conjection with a few other products and this stuff kills my appetite.

Its a pleasant surprise.

I have not yet been able to assess whether it aids in my fat loss.
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 14:50

another update:

Took a hoodia tab as I left work (approx 5:30 PM).

Last night, again no snacking. Made supper and didn't want any of it (but yes, I ate some) -- however, I also got a phone call with bad news during this time frame, hard telling if it was the hoodia or the depressed feeling.

I am being careful of drinking fluids, have no intention of allowing the hoodia to cut my thirst/water consumption. I also don't want to not eat, so I'm making sure I have a reasonable supper - but no snacking (before or after).

My weight was down another 1/4 pound this morning, I haven't weighed this for a very long time. I am so looking forward to getting below 150 (I'm at 151-1/4# right now). I also measured this morning, although my waist doesn't show a change, my hips are down, somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 inch.

I am also exercising, using a "wrap" on my belly -- not a terribly scientific procedure, I'm doing a bunch of things trying to get my weight back under control!
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 18:36

BF:

Hi Bonnie. I'm sorry to hear about your bad news. I hope everything is okay.

That's great about the Hoodia. I hope it keeps up. Hopefully I'll have something to good to report next week. I'm expecting one of the orders (either from HoodiaHoodia or HoodiaPlace) to show up by the end of the week. Hopefully I'm not being naive, LOL!

Hang in there. Hope all is well.

Jill
  #70   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 17:35

BF:

An update: I didn't get the HoodiaHoodia.com stuff yet. I emailed them Friday and they said they have "expressed" it, so we'll see. However, the HoodiaPlace.com order arrived on Thursday (3 business days after I ordered it!). Their website states it is 100% pure and is made from the stem (sounds good). However, after using it since it arrived I have to tell you all that I haven't noticed any difference. Maybe I'll be one of those people who it takes a while to actually have an affect (I've read that for some people it takes a few weeks to start working). Or maybe this particular brand is crap. I'll keep taking it because it's not hurting anything, but I hope the other stuff comes soon. I'm not sure why I'm convinced the other stuff is better, but maye it's because those folks who have said they've received it are reporting good results. And I think the HoodiaHoodia.com people are official distributors too, whatever that means.

So I'll keep you guys posted. I hope I get the other order this week. I'll be anxious to hear how everyone else is doing with it. Perhaps those that are experiencing good results could share which website they bought it from. From what I've read, not all Hoodia is created equal.

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

Jill in Phoenix
  #71   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 17:54

BF:

Question for Bonnie-

Is the Hoodia you are using that seems to work well the Source Naturals brand that some of the other folks are talking about? I'm thinking about ordering some. As I mentioned the HoodiaPlace.com stuff doesn't seem to be doing anything. And, dare I say, I think I've been eating a bit MORE, feeling hungrier. But it might be psychological, LOL!!

TIA,
Jill
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Jan-24-05, 09:12

update:

I received the hoodiahoodia.com order -- finally -- and I am now taking 1 tab of it plus 1 tab of the Source Naturals -- on weekdays just as I leave work and on weekends about an hour before I expect to eat supper. My results so far:

Weight: since around the first of this year, I am down 10 pounds. At least 5 pounds of this weight is what I call my "bloat" weight -- I can get that much off with simply returning to a week of induction, but I can NEVER seem to get any lower -- well, I'm lower, and this morning I weighed 150 pounds! I have not seen this weight for a few years!!! I seem to be losing about 1/4 pound each day (with some bouncing).

Appetite: I have had NO urge to snack before and after supper! This is my bad time, when I'm ready to eat anything. Typically, I overeat quasi-legal foods -- nuts (raw almonds), cheese, low-carb icecream/candy.

I think this stuff must be working for me. I have ever-so-many times determined that I'm going to get back in a losing mode -- I'll hit induction for a week or two, and I lose the bloat weight (about 5 pounds) -- but then the scale doesn't move -- I'll maintain ketosis, keep my WOE carefully low-carb....

I have continued with my exercise regime, and I am low-carbing at a higher-than-induction level (for supper tonight, I am having homemade chicken soup [with a bit of barley] and a slice of Eziekiel bread [11ECC/slice]). I can live with this eating pattern! The nice thing is I know that when I get home, I won't be ravenously hungry, and I'll be able to wait until I have everything on the table!

P.S. -- I'm wondering when I should order a second bottle of the stuff -- if it'll take as long for the second order as it took for the first! I still want to observe its effects for another week or so, though....
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Jan-24-05, 09:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 271/269/165 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 2%
Smile

Hi All,

Just back from my cruise and am catching up. Unfortunately I left my hoodia at home, went carb crazy (as I knew I would!) and gained about 6 pounds of water weight!!! (yeah, just water ) The real shame is the bread is great on the ship, the food (especially the steaks, plain meats and fish) are particularly mediocre, and the French butter they use is better than anything I've gotten here in a long time. I was totally ANTI low carb and had several meals of just bread and butter. Luckily I layed off of the sweets, and 2 of the 6 pounds were gone already this morning. I figure the rest will come off this week (hopefully!).

I gave the hoodia to my sister before I left and she's loving the stuff too. I still have some of the Source Naurals, but I'm talking about the stuff I bought on www.hoodia.com - and unlike hoodiahoodia.com it arrived in around 2-2 1/2 weeks...not FAST but at least it got here and it might be better now that the holidays are over. This product has twice the potency of the SN so you only take one at a time.

Started back on it today, and I'm back to being totally "on program" I hope. Today I'll take it 3 times and see how that works. Unfortunately the coconut oil/products seem to raise my appetite for sweets - perhaps thats the old association of coconut and chocolate, so I'll lay off that for a while too.

I think you should all give yourself a date - perhaps by Friday of this week, and if the product doesn't arrive, cancel the orders. This Jen sounds like she's doing it out of her house and her supplier isn't drop shipping. A lot of nutritional products are being sold on an MLM basis and this could be the problem.

Michelle
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Jan-24-05, 14:26

BF:

Here's a shocker..... the hoodiahoodia.com stuff arrived in the mail today! It was marked "express" and contained 2 bottles. That totals 4 that they sent out to me with the first 2 orders going MIA. But at least I only paid for one bottle. So I'll be anxious to see how it works. Gonna give it a week or so and if it doesn't have any affect on my appetite, I may ask everyone here where they recommend buying it from-- in other words what product seems to really be working well. Not giving up yet, LOL!

So I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the updates. I appreciate the support. Gosh, I hope this stuff works.

Jill
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 12:54

The hoodia still seems to be working for me -- no snacking whatsoever yesterday. For supper, I had exactly what I planned to eat (as well as for the rest of the day).

Once before, I was in a similar mode -- back in 1994, when I first lost all of my excess weight -- I went to an acupuncturist who did something (? - along with tiny needles left in my ears, he also did whole-body treatments) that worked for me -- and I stuck to a low carb diet (my choice of diet) and never had any cravings or deviated from my WOE. And the weight just fell off, about 1/4 each day -- a few short stalls, but not many -- and the weight stayed off until recently....

I don't how this works -- but it seems to be and I'm so far happy with it. No matter how religiously I did induction, I always ended up going back to my "snacking" mode -- and apparently I'm one of those people who must also watch calorie intake. No amount of will power carried me this long, or anything else that I've tried....

This morning my weight had "bounced" about a 1/4 pound up, I doubt that this is significant -- and I know that many say don't weigh yourself everyday -- but I do! My measurements are looking better too,and I'm fitting clothes that have been unworn for a year or so....