Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-07, 10:01

Plan: Stillman's South Beach
Stats: 190/133/133 Female 5ft 9in shrunk!!
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Mayonnaise?

I read the label on my Hellmann's real mayonnaise jar today and was shocked to find it contains sugar. It is obviously a small amount as 100g only equals 1.5 carbs, but the rule with Atkins is to avoid all sugar and so it can't be legal right? Anyway, I went to the supermarket earlier to find some mayo that did not contain sugar, but was unsuccessful. I tried another supermarket and it was the same deal...every single brand had sugar in it. I remember Atkins saying mayo was fine as long as it was real. What’s the deal here? Please don't tell me I have to make the stuff myself!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-07, 10:26

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

unless you make it yourself (which is something i'm dying to do one of these days), you're going to be hard pressed to find a condiment out there that doesn't contain sugar in some amount. however, i don't think what you've got is mayonnaise if the carb count for a 100g serving shows as 1.5g... i think what you've got is "salad dressing", which is meant to be sweeter than mayonnaise and is sold in the same section of the supermarket.

look for jars that are labeled "mayonnaise" and whose nutritional labels show 0g of carbs. you may see sugar in the ingredients list but it'll be WAY down among the last 2 or 3 ingredients.

there's always a chance that the hellman's mayo sold in london is different than the hellman's mayo sold in arizona. but you should still be able to find 0 carb mayo somewhere.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-07, 10:27

Plan: Paleo/Organic Fat Flush
Stats: 193/176/145 Female 5'4.5"
BF:42/31/24
Progress: 35%

Trader Joe's Mayo does not contain sugar. Maybe try a health food store in the UK?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-07, 12:31

Plan: general lowcarb
Stats: 340/324/165 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

the sugar in mayo is in trace ammounts. It should be okay
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-07, 14:53

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I use Hellmans full fat or light and it hasn't hindered my losses.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-07, 15:00
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%

In myPlan I have 1 T of Hellman's mayo as having .4 grams of carbs (not sure where I got that, but it's one of my custom foods, so I must have gotten it somewhere)...so there can't be that much sugar! They can call it 0 b/c it's less than 0.5 grams. 1/10th of a teaspoon of sugar, at most since 1 tsp of sugar has 4g carbs. I wouldn't worry about it. Short of making your own "everything" it's hard to avoid every single grain of sugar.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-07, 15:28
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KvonM
unless you make it yourself (which is something i'm dying to do one of these days), you're going to be hard pressed to find a condiment out there that doesn't contain sugar in some amount. however, i don't think what you've got is mayonnaise if the carb count for a 100g serving shows as 1.5g... i think what you've got is "salad dressing", which is meant to be sweeter than mayonnaise and is sold in the same section of the supermarket.

look for jars that are labeled "mayonnaise" and whose nutritional labels show 0g of carbs. you may see sugar in the ingredients list but it'll be WAY down among the last 2 or 3 ingredients.

there's always a chance that the hellman's mayo sold in london is different than the hellman's mayo sold in arizona. but you should still be able to find 0 carb mayo somewhere.

In the UK they give the nutritional information based on 100g not the 2T serving size like we have here.

1.5g per 100g sounds right.

Atkins says the trace amount of sugars in things like mayo, salad dressing etc. are fine as long as the carbs are fewer than 2 or 3g per Tablespoon.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-07, 02:02
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 345/288/190 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 37%

dukes mayo is sugar free but I am not sure if can get it in
the UK.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-07, 08:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 2002
Stats: 182/125/125 Female 62
BF:

According to the Atkins carb counter book, 1 Tbs. of Hellmann's is 0.1 net carb.

Dukes is not available outside the southern US.

Depending on where you are in the UK, Whole Foods should have a sugar free.

However, as the amount of sugar is such a trace amount, it's generally not a problem.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-07, 14:34

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I buy Lidl's own brand of mayo which has only 0.9 carbs per 100 gram (which is about 3.5 ounces btw, so less than 0.15 carbs per tablespoon I guess)

Even the lowcarb internet sites dont offer a sugarfree mayo so it may just not be available in UK at all.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-07, 10:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/210/160 Female 5 ft  7 in
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default No need to worry

I agree with the earlier posts about the negligible sugar amount in Hellmans mayo. That brand of mayo has been a staple in my diet since beginning Atkins and has never stalled me. I doubt that trace carbs are enough to spike your insulin or knock you out of ketosis.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-19, 00:07

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

When I started Atkins, I was always on the lookout for good ingredient mayonnaise. In fact, yesterday I made my own (after watching the great food movie Julie & Julia (2009)):

Julia Child’s Mayonnaise Recipe

Then I just found this:

Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Mayo

Ingredients look good.

https://img.thrivemarket.com/store/..._1_1.jpg?w=2000
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-19, 00:37

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Decent ingredients are my first thought with mayonnaise - IMO none of them have carbs high enough to worry about, but practically all of them have soy or other objectionable oils. I've been making mayo at home, on and off, since I first learned to cook. With a blender, or nowadays a stick blender, it is simplicity itself. Sometimes though I enjoy the convenience of storebought. Primal Kitchen has good ingredients, but I find it a bit bland. Sir Kensington also has decent ingredients in their avocado oil mayo, though there is a bit of sugar in there as well. It is also a small bit cheaper. When I make it myself I use 1/2 cup avocado oil, 1/4 cup walnut oil (when I have it on hand), and the rest EVOO; that may be 1/4 to 1/2 cup, or sometimes a bit more, depending on what the egg will handle. But I like the taste of EVOO; others might prefer to use mostly, or all avocado oil.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-19, 01:18

Plan: LCHF, no breakfast.
Stats: 256/178/140 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 67%

What Verbena said: best to avoid vegetable oils.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-19, 01:33

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:

I get a very expensive avocado oil mayo from Amazon UK called Hunter & Gather. Ingredients: avocado oil, free range egg yolk, Apple cider vinegar, pink Himalayan salt. 0g sugar, 0.1g carb per 100g. I don't have mayo often, so am prepared to fork out for it.