Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-08, 16:47

Plan: 1
Stats: 111/111/111 Male 1
BF:
Progress:
Default Protein Farts - Too much protein, or a good sign?

Since i have started to drink protein shakes, i have had bad smelling farts. does this mean i am having too much protein or is it a good sign? I drink my shakes with milk, which i dont think helps. Thanks for any answers!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-08, 16:56

Plan: Low carb/healthy
Stats: 154.4/119.0/125 Female 5ft4 and 3/4ths
BF:don't ask...
Progress: 120%

I am lactose intolerant and drinking any kind of milk will sure make me have gas..that could be it..Or the sugar alcohols in the protein mix
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-08, 16:57

Plan: all meat with IF
Stats: 284.5/259.9/153.0 Male 6 ft
BF:
Progress: 19%

Sounds like lactose intolerance.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-08, 17:01
Rock'in Arizona!!!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 470/400/300 Male 6'7"
BF:
Progress: 41%

What type of protein are you using, egg protein can cause some smelly gas!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-08, 17:05

Plan: 1
Stats: 111/111/111 Male 1
BF:
Progress:

i use whey protein
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-08, 17:23
Rock'in Arizona!!!

BF:

Its like the others have said probably a lactose intolerance. Best of luck, you might switch to a different type of powder, egg, or hemp to see if you experience the same problem...Bru
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-08, 18:20

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

Another possiblity -- if it's a soy protein in the shakes, you could have a soy intolerance. My youngest boy had a very noticeable soy intolerance which we discovered as soon as I started feeding him soy formula.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-08, 18:44

Plan: Zero Carb
Stats: 200/189/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Check the mix ingredients for fructo-oligosaccharides (also called FOS). They add it as a soluble fiber.

Worst gas I ever had..........
Ran myself right out of the room. It was in a Kefir drink.

#9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-09, 12:07

Plan: LC since 1/15/09
Stats: 317/278/217 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Rm, that is a great questions, to which I have no answer. But, it reminds me of something I recently noticed. Since I drastically cut my carbs(I would have up to 15 servings a day, (no I am not joking, yes I realize some of you just gasped in horror) I have noticed I fart a lot less, a whole lot less, so much so when I farted yesterday, I was like wow, it's been a couple of days. So, I don't know if this is a good thing or not, I think I have lost about 4 lbs, but I am going to be weighed today, so I will soon know if I have actually lost weight or if it's just my scale being goofy.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-09, 12:20

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Smelly farts are a sign that your body isn't properly digesting something you've eaten. It could be the lactose, it could be an allergy or sensitivity to soy, or egg, or something else in the shakes, or a reaction to some sort of added fiber.

Smelly gas is NEVER a good sign.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-09, 09:16
Registered Member

Stats: 138/130/115 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Wow, I didn't know that

When I eat Atkins bars, which isn't often, gas is a real problem. So there's stuff in those that I can't digest. Seems anything sweet that is sugar free is a problem for me. I just use Stevia and I never have a problem with that.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-09, 10:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by csade5
When I eat Atkins bars, which isn't often, gas is a real problem. So there's stuff in those that I can't digest. Seems anything sweet that is sugar free is a problem for me. I just use Stevia and I never have a problem with that.

It's probably the maltitol (sugar alcohol) they use to sweeten it. It isn't a very good one, however it is cheap so when they make "sugar free" stuff they use maltitol. You absorb about half the calories/sugars from Maltitol.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-09, 03:31
Registered Member

Plan: Cyclical Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 225/180/200 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 180%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmurad
Since i have started to drink protein shakes, i have had bad smelling farts. does this mean i am having too much protein or is it a good sign? I drink my shakes with milk, which i dont think helps. Thanks for any answers!

Ditch the milk. I toughed through that for 4 years. Your stomach is trying to tell you something.

Here's the cure:
Replace milk with water.

And first, it's kind of gross, but after 2-3 weeks you won't go back to milk.

If you absolutely INSIST on drinking milk, grab some lactose free. That helped a lot for me but still had farts once in a while. Now, I cut out all dairy from my diet and I stopped farting all together.

Also, for a little added deliciousness, go to the supplement store and grab yourself a little jar of L-Glutamine and add some of that to your shake.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 00:39

Plan: Protein power
Stats: 230/218/175 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress:
Default Whey Proteins

Not all whey proteins are created alike. Back when I was weight lifting, I tried 7 or 8 brands. Thought I was lactose intolerant but wasn't sure because it only bothered me every other time or so. When I started replacing breakfast, it was a problem for my poor suffering co-workers.

Finally had success with Isopure. It is a whey protein isolate (don't really know what that means but there is no lactose in it). I used to do the shakes with mik and take lactaid but now cut out the middle man and go with water. You can get it at GNC. It is fairly expensive. Bought some a week ago. List price is $69. But if you have their gold card ($15 a year) and buy during the first week of the month you can get the price done to arounf $55. Since I now use it as a quick mini-meal, I use one scoop per 8oz of water. Doesn't taste like a milk shake but it is palatable. Works out to about $1.25 per 25 grams of protein, 1 gram of fat, and zero carbs (strawberry) to about 3 carbs (chocolate).

Good luck.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 06:38
Rock'in Arizona!!!

BF:

Here's where I buy my Isopure;

http://www26.netrition.com/isopure_protein_page.html

A lot better price then GNC. I like the cookie and cream, but have about 4 flavors. Chocolate does have some carbs. 1 net per serving after you subtract the fiber.