Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#241   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-14, 09:08

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

I have just finished reading the Ketogenic coconut diet--I don't remember why I got it now.

I discovered that virgin coconut oil was the one I needed to buy. (Just one more label I need to read at the store, LOL)

I was delighted with the recipes, particularly the ones that used whipping cream. Yum. Can hardly wait to try them all! Even the pumpkin delight.
Sponsored Links
  #242   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-14, 10:11

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I have both virgin and the refined versions so why is the first better?
  #243   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-14, 06:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I have both virgin and the refined versions so why is the first better?

According to the author of the Coconut Ketogenic Diet, on page 227, he says the virgin coconut oil is made from fresh coconuts with very minimal processing, and the other is refined, bleached and deodorized (RBD).

RBD coconut oil comes from copra (air dried coconuts) and has gone through extensive processing, but no chemicals are used.

If it is virgin coconut oil it will say so on the label. It smells like coconut. RBD does not smell so it is a good option for those who don't want the smell.

The virgin oil contains more nutrients than the RBD. It is also more expensive simply because more care is taken to preserve the oil as naturally as possible.

I guess the difference is similar to "organic" foods and their prices.

If you can't get virgin CO, the other is good too.

My local grocery had the virgin as well as the RBD. WalMart carries the RBD too.
  #244   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-14, 09:43

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I have gone through several jars of both. I went back and forth as to whether I really needed the extra fat with my Atkins WOE since I already consume a good amount of fat from bacon, butter, fat in my meats and cream in many coffees per day and I was adding the coconut oil in addition to the cream in coffee.
A lot of people say that you don't have to count calories but that they do count so I began thinking maybe that extra fat was adding up to too much.
  #245   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-14, 05:14

BF:

Quote:
I have gone through several jars of both. I went back and forth as to whether I really needed the extra fat with my Atkins WOE since I already consume a good amount of fat from bacon, butter, fat in my meats and cream in many coffees per day and I was adding the coconut oil in addition to the cream in coffee.
A lot of people say that you don't have to count calories but that they do count so I began thinking maybe that extra fat was adding up to too much.

Good question Meme. I hope someone answers it.

I have a question for anyone who has CO first thing in the morning. Some say they out it in their morning coffee. I treid that.

Yesterday, I put 1 measured teaspoon of CO in my morning coffee. I became hungry right away--something that does not happen to me usually for several hours after drinking coffee. In addition I felt hungry for several hours. Almost all day really. I rarely feel hungry on low carb so this is unusual.

Is this common or is my body reacting differently?
  #246   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-14, 07:04

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Good question Meme. I hope someone answers it.

I have a question for anyone who has CO first thing in the morning. Some say they out it in their morning coffee. I treid that.

Yesterday, I put 1 measured teaspoon of CO in my morning coffee. I became hungry right away--something that does not happen to me usually for several hours after drinking coffee. In addition I felt hungry for several hours. Almost all day really. I rarely feel hungry on low carb so this is unusual.

Is this common or is my body reacting differently?

I too question the need to add coconut oil, but for different reasons than Benay. Mainly it depends at what level fat you are shooting for. I am able to keep mine in the 70-80% range without adding coconut oil. Most days I eat bacon eggs, avocado, dark chicken, with skin. I eat the skin on salmon and am learning to eat the fat on meat. So no need for added coconut oil. If I were to add CO, I'd probably have to delete something else as I find I have to restrict calories somewhat. I think I have a good balance right now.

I do think coconut oil is a useful product in the kitchen. I pan fry some foods in a combo of olive oil + butter (low heat) and others, particularly chicken thighs, in coconut oil (can go a bit higher with heat).

I've never experienced increased hunger with CO. In fact the opposite is true. It leaves me feeling full, very full. I have occasionally eaten a tsp or two before going to the gym (if I were hungry and afraid of running out of steam) and it seems to give me boundless energy.

I can see why some might find that energy boost very appealing.
  #247   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-15, 08:51

Plan: my own
Stats: 232/200/182 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:

I'm on the fence with all that ... I started using coconut oil to cook with and then recently when I got into my big health kick and started reading more I kept coming across how good coconut oil is. In particular, I had no idea it was used for the things people are apparently using it for ... hair .. and dogs!!
  #248   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-15, 12:53

Plan: my own
Stats: 232/200/182 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
I have occasionally eaten a tsp or two before going to the gym (if I were hungry and afraid of running out of steam) and it seems to give me boundless energy.

I can see why some might find that energy boost very appealing.

OK I know this might gross some people out but I'm considering combining it with my coffee for a real boost before working out. I came across an article (http://projectwriteasmile.com/coconut-oil-in-coffee/) and was disgusted at first but then after reading it I actually got to considering it. I'm actually afraid to try it, lol ...
  #249   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-15, 13:21
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector
OK I know this might gross some people out but I'm considering combining it with my coffee for a real boost before working out. I came across an article (http://projectwriteasmile.com/coconut-oil-in-coffee/) and was disgusted at first but then after reading it I actually got to considering it. I'm actually afraid to try it, lol ...

Not disgusting at all. I've had co and heavy whipping cream in my morning coffee pretty much every day for the past 18 months. I love it. It also may be responsible for clearing up my candida overgrowth (red patches on my chest) and toenail fungus. CO is good stuff.
  #250   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-15, 13:43

Plan: , LCHF
Stats: 259.6/222.4/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67.2/60.2/normal
Progress: 29%

I put Co, butter, and HWC in my coffee and use my immersion blender to mix it. Makes some foam on top. No oily stuff on top anymore.
  #251   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-15, 13:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Fat calories are the ever present question.

It is asked at the beginning of this thread, page 2 post #20
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...29&page=2&pp=15

which will take you here
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...03&page=1&pp=15

Which can take you here (WAY BACK)
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...05&page=1&pp=15

And then there are the wonderful month long experiments done by Sam Feltham of Smash the Fat
A summary of his daily diary
http://live.smashthefat.com/why-i-didnt-get-fat/

menu
http://live.smashthefat.com/the-21-...orie-challenge/

and a blog about it.
http://www.fathead-movie.com/index....ing-experiment/

So what do you think about fat calories?

PS I LOVE coconut oil in my coffee

Last edited by Aradasky : Thu, Aug-20-15 at 14:07.
  #252   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-15, 13:59

Plan: Atkins, mostly
Stats: 192/161.4/140 Female 5ft 5in
BF:way too much!
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljohnw
I put Co, butter, and HWC in my coffee and use my immersion blender to mix it. Makes some foam on top. No oily stuff on top anymore.

I can't deal with oil in my coffee. I do cook with it, though. I love the taste. And for the first time ever, my fingernails are growing and my hair isn't falling out all over the sink and shower floor. I have taken a spoonful of it if I didn't cook on a particular day. I'm all for Coconut Oil!! Just...not in my coffee!
  #253   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-15, 14:24

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I have CO and HWC in my coffee too, yum. I do love CO but lately have been buying the cheaper store brand to save money, and miss the coconutty taste!

Hasn't seemed to help with much else that others attribute to it. Still had a bad yeast infection recently, still have constantly breaking fingernails, still have toenail fungus.
  #254   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-15, 21:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

From everything that I've read, the fat calories are not the issue--it's hard for your body to use them efficiently, as opposed to carbs, which can be flown to the fat cells for storage by insulin--and, because of that, you tend to slow down the level of eating.

Original Atkins had NO restriction on any of the allowed foods, other than veggies, and people lost beautifully. Dr Pennington's rules had no restrictions, either, and people lost beautifully.

The fear of eating too much fat leads more people to eat too little. Which means, if they are eating low carb, they end up eating too much protein, which is more easily converted to sugars, which increases insulin levels, which lowers ketone levels, which means that less fat is mobilized from the fat cells....you can see where this is going.

I'm 64. I've read so many posts from women who think they need to lower calories and/or fat because they're menopausal. My weight loss has sped up since I upped the fat content of my diet.

And, to stay on topic, LOL, I just made my first fat bombs with CO and butter and peanut butter and chocolate...oh MY!

Think I'll get another jar to keep in the bathroom for my skin.
  #255   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-15, 07:24

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue

I'm 64. I've read so many posts from women who think they need to lower calories and/or fat because they're menopausal. My weight loss has sped up since I upped the fat content of my diet.

Can you tell us more? How much have you increased fat/calories? Do you track your macronutrients? If so, what proportion of your diet is fat? How long have you been eating LC?