Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-19, 21:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 327.0/324.8/120 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 1%

You know that's all wonderful and great advice and its absolutely correct....but one can know it in the head and the heart or the actions are something else... you know when I first started Atkins 2009.. I lost 125 pounds.. and I was suggesting the same things... don't call it a diet...make sure on Sundays you prepare food for the week.. you need a strong mind set etc etc etc.. but you know things happen and we fail...and that's the way it is...even if you know your eating wrong or bad and the consequences are severe.. so I see both sides of this....
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-19, 05:00

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

People that successfully stop smoking don't fail, they simple stop smoking. Period.

Stop eating shit. If you're weight goest up or down. No matter, simpley stop eating stuff that affects your health adversely.

If you are using food to change the way you feel, that's a different problem entirely. And different approaches my be needed other than just spelling in all caps: STOP EATING SHIT.

When you are doing something harmful to yourself and have proclaimed and believe that you should not do so is called cognitive dissonance I think, your beliefs and actions can be aligned.

Drinking Alcohol nearly destroyed my liver (I have cirrhosis). I still drink, lots of different things, but I completely 100% avoid alcohol. I used alcohol to change the way I felt. It worked perfectly according to the prescription, until it ruined my health and brought me near death. I have found other ways, and so can you, to change the way I feel without putting some substance into my body.

One of the simplest of they ways is to accept the way you feel right now; good, bad or indifferent and know that it will pass.

Feeling good, you will soon feel bad again - it is guaranteed
Feeling bad, you will soon feel good again - it is guaranteed
Feeling indifferent, flip a coin - almost 100 percent heads or tails will land and you will feel good or bad soon enough.

Life moves like this, ride the waves all the way to the beach. There is not really any good wave or bad wave - they are just waves.

enjoy when you are feeling good. Don't cling to it tho
appreciate and learn when you are feeling bad. Don't cling to it tho

You don't want to become a prisoner of either by thinking they will last.

</rant2>

Last edited by thud123 : Tue, Jun-11-19 at 05:08.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-19, 06:15
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

I began eating <20 grams of carbs per day, 46 yrs ago.
I kept 40 lbs off me for decades..
Even through childbearing years.

In 1999 I got mixed up with an alcoholic and picked up same habits..
Gained all the weight back.
The affair ended in 2006 (Feb 1st) and that was when I went back to <20 grams of carbs, and then to zero carbs.. I was in ketosis for 6 yrs, and then in 2012, I ate focaccia bread... and got real sick... body didn’t have the enzymes to digest flour..
From 2012, until present day, I have incorporated a few more carbs, (still) <20 per day.. But from all the years of eating LCHF, I have pretty much maintained my weight and health. The years of training to eat properly is embedded in my brain.. I know that alcohol and fruit and processed food will trigger hunger and depression.. I know to limit it, considerably. It’s taken 46 yrs of practice.

I eat pretty much <20 carbs a day, and will probably eat this way for the rest of my life. It was constant discipline. And I know that I will fail miserably if I go off my path..

I have gotten lazy in the past and eaten pizza, fried chicken, hamburger buns...
But for some reason, my brain knows to stay away from sugar.. I don’t really eat sugar, but I love a good sandwich...

This is my path. This will be my path for life.
I don’t know any other way to eat, other than <20 grams of carbs per day.
I go in and out of Ketosis, as I have for 46 yrs... and I know what will be my downfall, should I stray too far from my path.

It’s ingrained. It will be ingrained in you, too... there really isn’t any other way to eat, successfully and with good results... but you already know that...
Just stick to your “faith” and good results will continue.

Good luck with your journey. It’s been quite a ride for me...
So many N-1 Experiments under my belt.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-19, 07:12

BF:

Sorry I don't believe in a one size fits all.. stuff happens...and it's not as easy as saying don't eat this or stop that and a blah blah...I stopped smoking successfully after 20 years.. just went cold turkey....and haven't smoked now for over 25 years....food is a different story...glad your successful....I admire that....and no doubt I am paying for it now...but it's not as easy as to say put the carbs down.. don't eat this or do that.....but it's all good as long as one never gives up...
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-19, 07:13
Registered Member

Plan: Keto
Stats: 293.6/261.6/180 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
People that successfully stop smoking don't fail, they simple stop smoking. Period.

Stop eating shit. If you're weight goest up or down. No matter, simpley stop eating stuff that affects your health adversely.

If you are using food to change the way you feel, that's a different problem entirely. And different approaches my be needed other than just spelling in all caps: STOP EATING SHIT.

When you are doing something harmful to yourself and have proclaimed and believe that you should not do so is called cognitive dissonance I think, your beliefs and actions can be aligned.

Drinking Alcohol nearly destroyed my liver (I have cirrhosis). I still drink, lots of different things, but I completely 100% avoid alcohol. I used alcohol to change the way I felt. It worked perfectly according to the prescription, until it ruined my health and brought me near death. I have found other ways, and so can you, to change the way I feel without putting some substance into my body.

One of the simplest of they ways is to accept the way you feel right now; good, bad or indifferent and know that it will pass.

Feeling good, you will soon feel bad again - it is guaranteed
Feeling bad, you will soon feel good again - it is guaranteed
Feeling indifferent, flip a coin - almost 100 percent heads or tails will land and you will feel good or bad soon enough.

Life moves like this, ride the waves all the way to the beach. There is not really any good wave or bad wave - they are just waves.

enjoy when you are feeling good. Don't cling to it tho
appreciate and learn when you are feeling bad. Don't cling to it tho

You don't want to become a prisoner of either by thinking they will last.

</rant2>

Thud, you are an inspiration in every way. On May 12 I've lost a close friend. He was an alcoholic, had a liver cirrhosis (he got diagnosed 3 years ago) and he just could not stop drinking. Basically killed himself with booze. I've seen firsthand how hard it is to stop and get sober. You're doing it AND you've managed to take control over your weight at the same time. That's impressive. I wish you all the best, you deserve it for being such a fighter. Great job!
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-19, 07:21

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I feel like, especially for TDCers, you have to pay more attention to health than weight. I will never be thin. Even when I was normal weight in high school, I had to shop in the plus size section.

I have gone back to near my top weight but - and this is the important part - I NEVER went back to the SAD diet. There were always huge categories of food that just were not going to happen again. And I never went back to the levels of ill health that accompanied it. For me, it's about my health, being able to do what I want to do physically and maintaining mental focus and clarity. I don't really care if I'm thin or fat at that point. I've been am my low weight and in terrible shape and vice versa. It has to be about the food/health and not the weight.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-19, 09:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Ron
...you deserve it for being such a fighter...

Thank's Ron but you point out something key here, and it applies to both chemical and food (substance) abuse - for me at least.

There is no fight. When I stopped trying to control the things I couldn't, I found peace. Fighting and struggling is the exact recipe for disaster. Letting go and acceptance is the answer for me. Letting go of what I think and know about myself and others. Acceptance of what is happening right now, with the people immediately in my presence, and if I'm alone, me - just how I am right now, pissed off or happy or neither.

This is how it is. You will do well.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-19, 09:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny59
...glad your successful....I admire that....

I'm not "successful" - I even wrote a story about it here:

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=478328

I wish you well Sunny and thanks for the exchange of ideas. We're probably both right, and wrong Our ideas change over time as we gain experience - and if we can have an open mind to new data - we might be able to help others as well if they encounter similar situations, but, like you said, one size doesn't fit all.

In my mind there are approximately 7,346,235,000 sizes and counting
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-19, 15:30

BF:

Thank you Thud... I guess I expressed the anger I have for myself....I can't wait to read your story!!!!
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-19, 16:52

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

The longer you can go without a favorite fattening food, the less pull it has on you. At least that's how it works for me. The trick for me was never-ever eat the trigger food. One bite and you are back to day-one.

Bob
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-19, 09:40

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
The longer you can go without a favorite fattening food, the less pull it has on you. At least that's how it works for me. The trick for me was never-ever eat the trigger food. One bite and you are back to day-one.
It's so interesting how different we all are. If I had to say "never" to so many things I love, I don't think I could be successful. I was just give in and fail. But, for me, it's so much easier to know there are special occasions when I can and will have anything I like. I went out to a very nice restaurant for dinner and ordered a cocktail, wine, dessert, everything. I planned to do this and didn't worry about the carbs. I would have been so disappointed to go to a 5-star restaurant that I may never go back to and be calculating in my head what I can and can't eat. But today, I'm right back on low carb. This was always my plan, so know it ahead of time, makes it easier to get back.

It's the slips and their accompanying slopes that come without plans that are tricky for me. And for me those are more likely when I've tried to say never and I can't stick to that.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-19, 17:14

BF:

There is more than one right way to do almost anything!
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-19, 11:09
Registered Member

Plan: very very low carb max 20
Stats: 352/292/230 Male 76 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

Why do we regain the weight that's what I ask myself every time. And I have suffered to lose it. I'm back to my low carb/ 23 hour fast diet again. In 2008 I lost 158 pounds went off the low carb gained 95 of it back. In 2014 back at it and lost 135 lbs then off and gained 80 back. Now back on in March and have lost 52lbs as of this morning. I'm not going to stop this time I'm just not going to.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jun-21-19, 12:00

BF:

We regain when we think of our diet as a temporary way to lose weight instead of the way we will eat for the foreseeable future.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jun-21-19, 20:47

Plan: General lowcarb
Stats: 225/225/145 Female 5’0
BF:
Progress: 0%

Oh my, I have gained and lost, gained and lost over the past 10 years. Today is my 50th birthday and I weigh 225lbs. I’m only 5’ tall. I made up my mind that today I have to take back my life. I HAVE to! I lost a lot of weight at one time, like 150lbs so I know low carb works. I’m ready to do it this time. I don’t want to be fat anymore.