Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-19, 13:19

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Ms Arielle, I'm not an expert, but I think everybody is affected by AA, it's just more obvious to people with arthritis and other similar conditions.

Yes I eat lean beef which has 2.4% of the amount of AA that chicken has. That is quite a difference. I eat 100% grass fed beef which has a much better omega 6 to omega 3 ratio (less 6 and more 3). I get fats elsewhere to keep myself in keto.

My hip knows the difference. One chicken meal or 4 egg yolks and the pain starts coming back.

If you have arthritis or bursitis pain, try the diet for two months. Most people notice the difference in a couple of weeks to a month. If it doesn't work for you, what have you lost? But you have to follow it strictly.

Bob

I know you are absolutely correct on this.

My wrist was severly injured by a colt kicking out. bugger. Any time diet strayed from vlc, it ached. Doesnt do that now, some ten years on. And we all know the inflammation high carbs cause.

Makes me think we have turned chicken into a monster....they used to be freeranging wild things not fed grain as we do today.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-19, 13:35

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Food and Contribution to intake (%)

Chicken and chicken mixed dishes 26.9%

Do you know that for a huge majority of young people, that's all they eat!! It must be skinless and boneless too so that you can't see any sign of it being actually meat.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-19, 13:46

BF:

Im still unclear about what that % means.

98% of food Americans eat is low quality.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-19, 08:30

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
<...snip...>
Makes me think we have turned chicken into a monster....they used to be freeranging wild things not fed grain as we do today.

I agree.

And

We turned beef into a monster on the corn feed lot.

Capitalism and excessive profits over health issues manage to feed a lot of people, but they are not feeding them as healthfully as they used to.

Bob
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-19, 15:52

BF:

Too true.

We have traded food money for medical money.....as i have heard said.....

pay the farmer now or pay the pharma later.

Organic sales are skyrocketing. Imo home grown without any pestcides is even better. When I finally understood what The Croc kett Victory garden meant, I was appalled that facet of food support was abandoned.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-19, 19:24
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

My body is alkaline, but my stomach produces lots of acid. I've never been able to eat citrus fruits without getting sores on my tongue.

None of the supplements with "acid" in the name are safe for me. They always hurt my stomach. As I have no inflammation, I suppose I've found a balance that works for me. No pain from my arthritis (osteo.)

I do believe that what the animals we ingest are fed influences how we react to their meats.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-19, 08:36

BF:

I guess if there was one diet that worked for everyone Glenda, we'd only need one diet book.

Ms Arielle, I tend to gravitate to organic foods myself. My beef is always 100% grass-fed organic (the prices at Aldi and BJ's are reasonable). IMO The dirty dozen veggies must be organic or I won't buy them.

And I steer clear of GMO foods. I have nothing against the concept of GMO, it just the application. They engineer the GMO foods so they can tolerate massive amounts of herbicides like the cancer contributing glyphosate (Round-up). If they engineered the plant to have more nutrients, that would be OK, but instead they modify them for more profits.

On a trip to the People's Republic of China many years ago I saw workers spraying pesticides on the tea leaves. Since then I've decided that organic tea is better, and I drink a lot of tea (green, oolong, and black).

Recently I decided to buy whole bean coffee.

Apparently, it’s a not-so-secret industry secret. According to the FDA’s own studies, up to 10% (and often MORE) of green coffee beans are insect-infested. According to Dr. Emlen, they can’t be processed out, so they simply get roasted with the beans and ground up into them.

From PBS radio show Fresh Air:
Quote:
Imagine yourself relaxing to the voice of interviewer Terri Gross only to hear this anecdote:

Dr. EMLEN: It’s peripheral to what we’ve been talking about but when I was an undergraduate, I was hugely influenced by a professor of mine, a biologist and entomologist named George Ichor(ph), one of the greatest entomologists I ever met. And I remember driving across the country with him when I was a college undergraduate. He was an advisor to me. I was doing research out at a place called The Rocky Mountain Lab in Colorado. And we had to keep going way out our way – this was in the late ’80s, this is before there was a Starbucks on every corner and you can get really good coffee. And he was fiercely addicted to caffeine – to coffee. And we’d have to drive way off the interstate to go find good coffee in that day. I mean, we’d go 45 minutes off our route to go find a place that had whole bean fresh ground coffee. And I remember giving him a really hard time because we were wasting a lot of travel time trying to feed his addiction because he need a coffee every couple of hours. And he finally explained to me he had to drink only sort of whole bean fresh ground coffee. And it was because of cockroaches. There’s a point to this story which is that he found out the hard way from teaching entomology year after year after year, handling cockroaches – people used cockroaches as the lab rat for entomology labs – he got really badly allergic to them. So, he couldn’t even touch cockroaches without getting an allergic reaction. And because of that he couldn’t drink pre-ground coffee. And it turned out when he looked into it that pre-ground, you know, your big bulk coffee that you buy in a tin, is all processed from these huge stock piles of coffee. These piles of coffee, they get infested with cockroaches and there’s really nothing they can do to filter that out. So, it all gets ground up in the coffee…

https://www.foodrenegade.com/your-c...ground-up-bugs/

Of course this is a tangent and has nothing to do with AA so I'll get back on topic.........

I think the chicken feed might be an AA contributor if I understand this correctly:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16104803

Anyway, I find if I stick to the arthritis/bursitis diet which restricts the amount of both carbs and A.A., neither my inherited bursitis or the arthritis due to a basketball injury bother me. If I break the diet and eat some delicious chicken or egg yolk, I can tell by the next day.

Bob
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 09:49

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

The Dr Eades talk about AA in their original Protein Power book
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 10:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
My body is alkaline, but my stomach produces lots of acid. I've never been able to eat citrus fruits without getting sores on my tongue.

None of the supplements with "acid" in the name are safe for me. They always hurt my stomach. As I have no inflammation, I suppose I've found a balance that works for me. No pain from my arthritis (osteo.)

I do believe that what the animals we ingest are fed influences how we react to their meats.

Stomach must produce acid to digest meats and proteins. The contaminants are potentially a real problem for the integrtity of the GI lining.

Splenda us known to thin the mucosal lining, which is the first step to leaky gut and ulcers.

This looked interesting...

Quote:
It sounds like you may be sensitive to acidic foods, which can make you prone to developing canker sores.

Canker sores are small, shallow and sore ulcers that can appear on the soft tissues of the mouth, tongue and gums. Because of their location, they can be painful and make eating and drinking uncomfortable. Canker sores are different than cold sores because they are not contagious, are not associated to herpes virus and do not occur on the surface of your lips.

While it's not entirely clear what causes most canker sores, they are likely due to a combination of factors. Possible triggers for canker sores include emotional stress as well as injury to the tissue in the mouth from irritating food, dental work, ill-fitting dentures or overaggressive brushing. Specific foods, especially those that are acidic such as oranges or tomatoes, can trigger a canker sore or make an existing sore more tender.

In some cases, canker sores can result from underlying health conditions such as impaired immune function or deficiency of certain essential vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin B12, zinc, folic acid or iron. Some gastrointestinal conditions such as celiac disease (gluten intolerance) or inflammatory bowel diseases, such as Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis, can also lead to ulcers in the mouth.

Canker sores generally last a few days to a week and will heal without treatment. There is no cure for canker sores, so the best way to manage them is to prevent them from occurring. You can reduce frequency by:

Avoiding foods that may irritate the mouth such as acidic or spicy foods.Following good oral hygiene. Brush with a soft bristled brush to reduce trauma to the tissues in the mouth, and keep the mouth free of foods that can trigger a sore by brushing and flossing regularly.Treating any underlying medical conditions or vitamin deficiencies.Managing your stress if you notice that the canker sores emerge when you are emotionally drained.

If the sores are unusually large or raw, interfere with swallowing or last longer than three weeks, I recommend seeing your doctor to ensure that there is no underlying medical cause. Your doctor may also be able to suggest some treatment to manage the symptoms such as antimicrobial rinses or steroid cream that can reduce pain and irritation.

Send family doctor Sheila Wijayasinghe~your questions at~doctor~globeandmail.com. She will answer select questions, which could appear in The Globe and Mail and/or on The Globe and Mail web site

#25   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 10:52

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

Maybe I should give up chicken and eggs for a while and see if my shoulders feel better. It looks like they are the main culprits and they are pretty dominant in my diet. I even use a local farms for both. I'm strict about grass fed, organic, etc. But I'm also a cynic.

Here's Mark's take on AA from 2009.
https://www.marksdailyapple.com/arachidonic-acid/

Last edited by lizzyLC : Wed, Dec-18-19 at 11:13. Reason: Addition
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 11:03

BF:

That study Bob posted was a tangled web. Will need to reread again. The last libe if true was understandable.

Quote:
y. AA content in chicken BM, chicken TM, and turkey BM, respectively, decreased linearly (P < 0.01) with increasing live weight reached at the slaughter age.

Slaughter weights and ages are quite different between chickens and turkeys. And different between commercial varieties and old breeds.

Cornish cross chicken goes to karjet at eight to twelve weeks. Old varieties like Buckeyes, at four MONTHS. Commercial White turkies are plump at four months, and old style like bourbon reds are ready at six.

Just leaves me with more questions...lol

Geez, no wonder that guy drove 45 min out of the way to prevent an allergic reaction. Constant exposure can cause such a reaction.

Insect contamination is the norm in our grains. Number of particles decides if it goes to livestock, or humans.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 11:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyLC
Maybe I should give up chicken and eggs for a while and see if my shoulders feel better. It looks like they are the main culprits and they are pretty dominant in my diet. I even use a local farms for both.

What will u replace with???
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 16:22

BF:

When my hip was worst I was eating a lot of eggs.

I was gigging on a cruise ship, and the foods were all full of carbs so I ate a lot of eggs at breakfast every day, and just picked at the other meals in order to stay in keto (this was back in 2005).

After I quit eggs and chicken I got better in a hurry.

What to replace it with?

That depends on your diet.

IMO it's better to give up foods than to live in pain. YMMV of course.

I eat egg whites with some cheese in it. Not as good as scrambled eggs, but it doesn't hurt me.

I eat 100% grass fed beef instead of chicken.

Yes, no chicken and eggs limits our already limited diets even more, but live without pain and the wear and tear of the joints is worth it to me.

Bob
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 16:36

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I do just the opposite, I eat the yolk and cut off the white when I have my fried eggs every morning. I do it because white is albumin which is very hard on the kidneys and I eat 2-3 daily. I have no kidney problems
Egg whites are also high in histamines which can cause inflammation.

Quote:
The predominant egg white proteins that can impact inflammation include ovalbumin (54% of egg white protein by weight), ovotransferrin (12%), ovomucin (3.5%), lysozyme (3.4%), and avidin (0.5%) .

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4586567/
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-19, 09:31

BF:

I don't eat egg whites often. I did at first as a substitute for eggs.

They yolks would tear me up. AA is inflammatory too.

If there was one diet that was best for everybody, we'd only need one diet book.

Bob