Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-04-20, 21:41

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default Chicken & Artichoke Faux Enchilada Casserole

Chicken Artichoke Faux Enchilada Casserole

A little back story; I find it amusing; forgive me if you do not. I grew up on the Central California Coast, where artichokes grow very well, and are a prolific crop. My brother still lives there, and when I was visiting him a few years ago he took me to a Mexican restaurant. He told me that all their food was good, but the chicken artichoke enchiladas were his favorite. They weren't on the menu, one needed to ask, but they were great. So I asked, and they were. He was a bit bummed out, he said, because he had just been in the previous week, had the enchiladas, but felt it was a bit much ordering them again so soon, LOL.
So, of course, I needed to see if I coldn't make something with the same flavor profile, but without all the carbs.
Forgive the fuzzy measurements; I only make this for myself, with some planned leftovers; DH won't eat it, as he doesn't eat cheese.

Enough for a 6 cup baking dish; approx 2 large servings - can easily be increased.

15 oz, approx., green enchilada sauce, mild or medium
3 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
Shredded cooked chicken*
Artichoke hearts*
2 7oz cans of whole fire roasted chiles
1 1/2 cups grated Jack cheese
Chile powder or paprika

Simmer the enchilada sauce over low heat until thickened and reduced. Remove from heat, and stir in the cream cheese & sour cream.
Preheat oven to 375*F
Drain the chiles; slit open, & remove any seeds. Divide into two piles.
Layer half the chiles in the baking dish, covering the bottom in one layer as much as possible. Over that put a layer of half the chicken, and then half the artichoke hearts. Spread over half of the sauce, and then half of the cheese. Make another layer, using each of the ingredients as before. Sprinkle with chile powder or paprika.
Bake, uncovered, for about 40 minutes, till bubbling, and the cheese is melted. Let rest for about 5 minutes before serving, but serve hot, maybe with a dollop of sour cream & some salsa, and/or guacamole.

* I don't have a measurement for either chicken or artichoke hearts; basically, use what you have, and however much you want. I use frozen artichoke hearts from Trader Joe; jarred hearts in water, well drained, would also be fine. I save fresh artichokes for steaming, and eating with Hollandaise sauce, but if you have them, and are willing to do the prep work, go for it.