Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-20, 08:25

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflowers
I often make a hamburger for breakfast with eggs

I call that working person's steak and eggs.

I don't eat that many eggs anymore because they bother my bursitis and arthritis.

The bursitis I inherited and the arthritis is in a finger I injured playing basketball.

I love eggs though but i'd rather be pain free so I follow the Arthritis/Bursitis diet and eggs are a no-no.

Bob
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-20, 11:38

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Speaking of hamburgers for breakfast.......last week DS 2 decided to flavor the meat , and accidently dumped in too much nutmeg. Thinking we wouldn't notice, he cooked them up ! Just aweful !!!

Dog enjoyed them.
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-20, 16:29

BF:

I play in a band, and about 10 years ago, we would set up our gear in the afternoon and come back in the evening to play.

The manager always gave us a free lunch. It wasn't part of our pay, but we drew in so much business at night that it was an extra, kind gesture on his behalf.

I always got a burger, no bun. I like them well done and the cook used to tease me about that so I started asking for a blackened burger.

Little did I know they hired a new cook who put a lot of spices on it as if he were making blackened chicken or salmon. It was awful.

I ate it anyway and never asked for anything blackened again.

Bob
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-20, 17:39

Plan: Atkins DANDR/ Candida
Stats: 300/195.2/172 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 82%

I do eat bacon nearly every day so I do not see the fluctuations from that. I notice it with ham and deli stuff though. I weigh daily and look for those bumps to identify foods that trigger the scale. I have a number of foods my body doesnt like on the scale including peanuts, most tree nuts unless tiny quantities, eggplant (who would guess that?), mayonnaise (but I can eat all the stuff that goes into mayo) Once I know the triggers, I don't obsess if I eat a portion and the scale jumps up. I drink up the water and wait and it always settles back down in a day or so.
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Jun-18-20, 06:59

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I always got a burger, no bun. I like them well done and the cook used to tease me about that so I started asking for a blackened burger.

I always order my burgers the same way. Well done.
Steak... medium well.
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Jun-18-20, 07:49

BF:

lol, blackened likely refers to coating of cracked black pepper......is that what happened to the poor hamburger, Bob?
  #67   ^
Old Thu, Jun-18-20, 08:08

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflowers
I always order my burgers the same way. Well done.
Steak... medium well.
I’m fine with a medium steak, but I can’t stand a burger with any trace of pink. I just ask for my burgers to be extremely well done!
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Jun-18-20, 16:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
lol, blackened likely refers to coating of cracked black pepper......is that what happened to the poor hamburger, Bob?

Yes, and all you could taste were the spices, not the burger.

The joke was on me.

These days I get 100% grass-fed hamburger, preferably organic.

It's better for the planet, it tastes better to me, it has a much better omega 3 to 6 ration so it is healthier and CLA which helps one lose weight (the corn fed beef loses it's CLA).

And of course, the bacon is better on the burger.

To my surprise I weight 173 this morning - a new low!!!

To celebrate, I had some bacon

Bob
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Jun-18-20, 20:57

Plan: Atkins DANDR/ Candida
Stats: 300/195.2/172 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 82%

Congrats on the new low, Bob
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Jun-19-20, 07:52

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Our mainstays are grassfed beef and humanely raised pork as ground meat. And... BACON.

I've become known at my local Aldis as the person who comes in and gets the limit, then comes back (it's my first and last stop) to get my limit again. They smile at me, because it's perfectly legal.
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Jun-19-20, 11:47

BF:

Aldi has good grassfed beef.

Publix here in Florida sometimes has local Grassfed beef, it's a bit more expensive, but tastes better.

BTW, I blew the new low on some bacon, but it'll be back in a couple of days.

Bob
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-20, 14:31

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Publix here in Florida sometimes has local Grassfed beef, it's a bit more expensive, but tastes better.
Before Covid I always bought the local Florida grass-fed beef at Publix. Whenever they had it I would stock up. Figured the grass-fed was good for me, and also a much lower carbon footprint from not having to be transported very far.

However I have not been inside Publix (or any store) since March 11 due to Covid, so no Publix shopping anymore. I get free curbside pickup from Walmart, and while Walmart does have grass-fed ground beef it's not local, alas.
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-20, 19:05

BF:

Ive been eyeing the pkg of bacon......need to find the ground beef.....
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-20, 19:27

BF:

I go to Publix once every other week.

I get there right as the store opens, and not on the weekend sale days. The store is not crowded at all then, most of the aisles are empty.

I put on a mask, and disposable gloves. I carry a small bottle of rubbing alcohol with me. I do not take off the mask until I get home. Once home I take off the mask and my clothes (I have privacy in my yard) and hang them on the clothes line for 24 hours before I bring them in to wash.

In the store I don't touch anything that I don't want, and after using my credit card, I sterilize it with the alcohol before putting it back in my pocket.

My minivan door opens with my keyfob. I put the groceries on a tarp I've laid out, and close the door with the fob. Then I rub the alcohol on the fob. I'll walk back to the store with the cart, and when I get to the front door I'll take off the gloves and put them in the trash bin. That way the car handles and steering wheel have no additional germs on them.

When I get home, before taking off the clothes, I wipe everything down with a dilute bleach mixture I made before leaving, take the tarp out and spray it with the dilute bleach. BTW, shoes stay outdoors too.

This way I get the better food that Publix carries, and minimize my chance of exposure.

Some people might consider this an overkill, and folks like you might feel safer with delivery. There's more than one best way to do this. It's my way and I figure safe enough YMMV.

I really don't want to play "COVID Roulette" so I stock up. If I can go 3 weeks without going out, that's even better.

I live on a dead end street on a half acre lot that I planted about 30 trees on in 1990 when I moved here from another Florida home. The house was built in 1950 for cross ventilation, the roof is white, and when it is 95 outside it's still 85 or under without AC. That also lowers my carbon footprint and is actually healthier for me as it doesn't recirculate germs over and over again.

Other than occasional groceries, the only time I'm out of my house or yard is for walking up and down my dead end street. End to end and back 15 times is 3 miles, 20 times is 4. I do at least 3 and never more than 4.

I'm unemployed for at least 7 months, and then it's iffy. The mortgage is paid and I have no debt, but I still have to watch pennies. It's better to be unemployed than under the ground.

Grass fed beef itself is better for the Earth. The corn grown for grain fed beef uses an intensive amount of water, insecticide, herbicide, and fertilizer. The US Fertilizer industry emits 100 times more methane than all the cow burps and farts combined according to Cornell and the Environmental Protection Agency.

Cows can live on grassland with nothing but what mother nature provides. We all learned about the zillions of bisons that lived on grassland with no farmers to care for them. The cows fertilize the grass and the grass nourishes the cows.

I've eaten the grass-fed at Aldi (good) and Publix (much better) but not Walmart. I used to shop there as well, but after COVID I limit to one store and Publix seems to be the cleanest and at opening time the least crowded.

Back on topic, the last time I ate bacon, I gained almost 2 pounds, it took a few days for it to go away and I'm back to 173 again. I graduated high school at 180 so this feels really good. My BMI is actually in the normal zone. I couldn't have done this without keto (I tried other plans).

Including my deceased parents and living siblings, I'm the only one under 300 pounds. I don't want to go early like my dad, and I've already passed him.

Bob
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-20, 22:27

BF:

Bob, you are an inspiration....keep going. My mother has out lived her mother by 25 yrs, breast cancer runs in family, and I think its because she lived in the fresh air of Maine and not a city, ate garden fresh veggies and local seafood and worshipped the sun. We can change our stars.
(My grand father died 19 years ago and I still talk to him, and my grandmother who passed before 1970.....I would like to think they hear me.)