Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-08, 15:00

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Tae Kwon Do

I've just began taking Tae Kwon Do classes. It's extremely challenging both physically and mentally. I absolutely love it! My two sons also take and thing mom is completely cool for taking it as well. I have done things I never knew my body was capable of. I really shocked myself. Anyone else take this or another form of martial arts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-08, 09:13

Plan: who knows???
Stats: 208/173/175 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 106%

My 8 year old has been doing Karate for almost a year now, and the changes in her are incredible. She is so much more flexible, strong and disciplined. I couldn't be prouder.

I've toyed with the idea, but thats my gym time, and I'm not ready to give it up.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-08, 09:24

BF:

Yes, It really does build alot of self confidence, young and old(er). It's quite a workout too. I've done 3 classes this week and have already learned tons and worked muscles I didn't know existed.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-08, 06:16

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 153/150/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%

My son (7) and I both started Kenpo Karate back in December, and we absolutely love it. His class, because of the young ages, concentrates more on sparring and kicking and punching, but mine concentrates more on actual down-and-dirty self-defense, along with the traditional forms and techniques.

Although I was in decent shape before I started, it's taken a while to get my legs in shape for the kicking. I've never done it before, and my tendons and muscles in the hips are still touchy. So I've been doing alot of stretching and leg lift kinda things to, and it's been helping.

How long are your Tae Kwon Do classes? Do they have you doing alot of just plain working out, like pushups and sit-ups?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-08, 06:46

BF:

Beth, the warm ups consist of the pushups, situps, jump'n jacks, jogging, etc. The rest of the class is kicking, punching, combos, forms. The classes are held 4 nights a week plus Saturdays, and we are only required to attend 2 per week but can attend as often as we like. My oldest son is in the adults class with me. We initially started 2 weeks ago and have been to 7 classes so far and are going again today. Doing this has also broke a stall I'd been in for a month. Yeah!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-08, 09:02

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 153/150/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%

LA - that sounds great! I really enjoy the karate, but the instructor doesn't do much, if any, warm up. I do jumping-jacks myself during the time that everyone is coming in, visiting, and getting changed, but I'm the only one. I'm the oldest, 40, and believe you need a good warmup before you stretch, especially as you get older.

The instructor himself is young, and stresses the whole idea, the "mind, body, and spirit" aspects, so we get alot of lectures, but I think miss out on too much "body". I think in the more advanced classes they do more pounding on each other.

He has a kick-boxing class too which I might try once my legs feel 100%.