Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-06, 09:50
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 214/193/140 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Calling all runner!

Hi there, I have lost of questions this morning.....I guess I really want to reach my goal and I am starting to get discouraged. So last night I went and started to re read my atkins book hoping for a little motiviation...........

Anyway, back to my question. I have 30 lbs to go until I reach my first goal of 123, after that I will re-evaluate and see if reaching my 2nd goal of 113 is even possible for my 5 ft 3 inch body. I ran Cross Counrty in High school and while we did LOTS of long distant runs, I am wondering when I run either on the treadmil or outside, a slower pace for longer distance better then a faster pace for a shorter distance. I have a cheaper treadmil that does not have a program to set or inclines. It just stays at the speed you set it and we go.

Also what speed is ideal to be running at?

Anyother info you can provide for me would be greatly great!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-06, 01:45

Plan: 40-40-20
Stats: 118/112/105 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi !
I'm 5'3 too and looks like 113 is a good second goal
but, step by step.

You're on the right way, If you find your motivation to eat well, and exercise.

I'm a runner for years, and I have tried all different kinds of training.

Right now, I'm doing various trainings during the week.
I'm running 5 times a week.

I'm alternating between 30min HIIT, 45min medium intensity running, fast inclined walking, and outdoor running doing what I feel like doing (stairs... etc)

Doing different types of training is the key, so that your body don"t get used to what you do.

Interval training is (as we say) the best way to lose fat, but long run medium intensity is also good. As I said, you have to vary.

Here's a link where you'll be able to find lots of info about what's the best training :

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbi...=Cardiovascular
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 16:47
Registered Member

Plan: Eclectic
Stats: 162/160/135 Female 5'4
BF:33%/31%/25%
Progress: 7%

I think it probably depends on what you will enjoy the most and stick with. I enjoy a combination of what you described. I like to run really fast as I can for some of the run (like 10 - 12 minutes of it, for me as fast as I can is only 8 min mile) and then for the rest of the run (20 minutes) a steadier pace like a 10 min mile. I pace it with my iPod on certain songs that have a beat conducive to how I want to run and so I go with the rhythym - makes it fun like dancing. I think long runs at steady pace or short fast runs or a bit of both (interval?) will work if you like it and stick with it. Running is a good way to burn fat and get fit imho.

Donna
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-07, 21:15

Plan: Carb Addicts, or Nutrient
Stats: 176/161/145 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 48%

I think if you're running you should use a heart rate monitor. It provides very valuable information because you don't have to worry about undertraining but OVERtraining. Been there! I use a Polar heart rate monitor.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-08, 17:31

Plan: Modified Adkins Diet
Stats: 210/180/173 Male 6 Feet 5 Inches
BF:18%
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by QigongMan
I think if you're running you should use a heart rate monitor. It provides very valuable information because you don't have to worry about undertraining but OVERtraining. Been there! I use a Polar heart rate monitor.

Howdy all .... I, too, am a runner and I use a Polar heart rate monitor. The HRM is almost as important as my running shoes. I feel naked without it. I have seen many posts that suggest using 220- your age to determine max heart rate. I am 43 years old and I regularly get to 178 bpm during easy 60 minute runs. If it is very hot or a very long run - say 13.1 mile, then I have been as high as 182. I feel that one should judge his max heart rate by personal experience, which takes into effect the type of exercise, the duration and intensity of the exercise and weather conditions.

Last edited by johnbeyers : Fri, Jan-25-08 at 03:18.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-08, 06:00
Registered Member

Plan: Eclectic
Stats: 162/160/135 Female 5'4
BF:33%/31%/25%
Progress: 7%
Default Heart Rate Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbeyers
Howdy all .... I, too, am a runner and I use a Polar heart rate monitor. The HRM is almost as important as my running shoes. I feel naked without it. I have seen many posts that suggest using 220- your age to determine max heart rate. I am 43 years old and I regularly get to 178 bpm during easy 60 minute runs. If it is very hot or a very long run - say 13.1 mile, then I have been as high as 182. I feel that one should judge his max heart rate by personal experience, which takes into effect the type of exercise, the duration and intensity of the exercise and weather conditions.

I am glad you wrote this. Perhaps you all cold help me in this area. I don't know much about the heart rates and hadn't worried about it much until recently - I just enjoyed a run for the run and part of it for me was trying to run as fast as I could b/c I like that. I also like staying in the beat of a song. Anyway, I've been checking my heart rate lately with some of the Polar tools and it was 173 and 178. The chart guide said "althletic" for age 38 should still be like, I don't know, 150 or something? So I was worrying, am I causing stress to my heart? On the other hand it quickly, within a minute got down to 138, and, I have been running for almost 20 years. In my gut it feels like I don't have to worry about it, but the chart doesn't really have those kind of numbers.
Any help here?
Donna
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-08, 18:07

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamoon
I am glad you wrote this. Perhaps you all cold help me in this area. I don't know much about the heart rates and hadn't worried about it much until recently - I just enjoyed a run for the run and part of it for me was trying to run as fast as I could b/c I like that. I also like staying in the beat of a song. Anyway, I've been checking my heart rate lately with some of the Polar tools and it was 173 and 178. The chart guide said "althletic" for age 38 should still be like, I don't know, 150 or something? So I was worrying, am I causing stress to my heart? On the other hand it quickly, within a minute got down to 138, and, I have been running for almost 20 years. In my gut it feels like I don't have to worry about it, but the chart doesn't really have those kind of numbers.
Any help here?
Donna

Running for fitness does cause your heart stress- but it is a good stress. Heart rates are more a reflection of the intensity of the workout. If you are doing HIIT or always trying to run as fast as you can - You will spend most of your time in the range that you stated. Fitness is better reflected in your standing heart rate - the lower the number the better the fitness. It sounds like you recover very quickly from your workout which is another good indicator of fitness. I am 43 years old and I have similar results. My average heart rate is about 170 or so. My maximum heart rate on a long run or with very hot conditions can get as high as 185. Your 150 bpm number is about 85% of the 178 number - your actual max hr may be higher. If you were to do a different activity such as swimming laps or cycling - you won't necessarily have the same maximum heart rate. It could be higher or lower.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-08, 15:51

In the year and a half that I have been exercising to lose weight, I have noticed something. If all I do is run - no walking or stopping in between - I tend to burn little fat - just carbs! The result is that I get hungry after the run is completed - Not just hungry for potassium (i.e. banana) but will want something substantial as in a full meal. I have noticed that I burn nearly as many calories by walking during my exercise period. I often walk for five or ten minutes in the middle of my run as well as the last 15 or 20 minutes (cool down). I love the runner's high - I especially enjoy the cool down period - It is a very calm and peaceful time. As I walk, my heart rate will slowly move down through the aerobic zones, meaning that there is oxygen to burn fat calories and not just carbs.

Last edited by johnbeyers : Mon, Jan-28-08 at 16:59.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-08, 16:27
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbeyers
In the year and a half that I have been exercising to lose weight, I have noticed something. If all I do is run - no walking or stopping in between - I tend to burn little fat - just carbs! The result is that get hungry after the run is completed - Not just hungry for potassium (i.e. banana) but will want something substantial as in a full meal. I have noticed that I burn nearly as many calories by walking during my exercise period. I often walk for five or ten minutes in the middle of my run as well as the last 15 or 20 minutes (cool down). I love the runner's high - I especially enjoy the cool down period - It is a very calm and peaceful time. As I walk, my heart rate will slowly move down through the aerobic zones, meaning that there is oxygen to burn fat calories and not just carbs.

My problem is that usually if I stop running, I will become tired and won't be able to run as much anymore. Like I can go for a long stretch, but if I have to stop for something, I can't just pick up and continue to run again for as long as I know I could have.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-08, 02:19

Plan: Atkins OWL or abouts...
Stats: 195/188/165 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 23%

This is an interesting thread. To be honest I've wondered about some of these very things when I was running before getting pregnant.

My new thing is trail running, where there is hills and stuff. Does anyone know if you can get platued (sp?) by doing the same route all the time? I often wondered if I wasn't doing enough, or if I should do different things (it was a 6 mile route).

I don't really understand the difference in training to run (IE: HITT and stuff), does anyone have a good resource to research this stuff? I don't even think I'd know where to start.

My "running" exsisted of running up to maybe 7 miles MAX, but I averaged probably more like 4.5 -6 miles 3 days a week. Sometimes I went to the gym and lifted.... I preferred running though when it was nice and cool. I found that I'd get burnt out with more. I was just wondering if that is why my weight loss stalled at about 15 + lbs of goal.

Anyways thanks.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-08, 04:49

You should vary your training including your route. Basically High Intensity Interval Training involves running at your top speed for say 110 or 220 meters at a time and only taking about a minute to rest between intervals. A good website to check out is runnersworld.com.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-08, 12:58

Plan: Atkins OWL or abouts...
Stats: 195/188/165 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 23%

Thanks! This will help a lot. I'm already calculating my summer running schedule for after baby comes and am hoping to accomplish all my goals this year.

Might be a bit difficult with new baby but i'm gonna try.

Thanks again.