Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-05, 20:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246.2/246.2/145 Female 5'5
BF:2much
Progress: 0%
Default Yoga!

Does anyone do it on a regular basis. Some people have told me that it definitely burns a lot of calories and helps you lose weight, but other tell me to stick to arobic exercises first. Im considering paying for a few classes so I dont know if i should
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-05, 08:11

Plan: CAD & Atkins mix
Stats: 243.5/230/160 Female 6'0
BF:
Progress: 16%

HI!

I'm new to this board but I thought I'd reply to your post here.

I use a combination of yoga with deep yogic breathing (like BodyFlex and Oxycise). I personally think it's the best thing around, especially for people like me who are not (yet) into sweating heavily.....I can tell you that a few years ago I did BodyFlex for 2 weeks and lost 6 inches on my waist bringing me into a size 10 from a 14!!!! (Yeah.. I have gained it back but I'm started the journey again for the LAST TIME)!

I plan to use the yogic breathe yoga poses like this everyday... it's really amazing and I ALREADY see my arms firming up and my butt can tell it too (from how it feels = a bit sore!)

Yoga is really good for toning you up and strengthening your body. I think alot of us in the west overlook it but it really DOES help you lose inches and pounds.. especially with BofyFlex or Oxycise where your working your breathe pattern as well.

Warmly,
160me!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-07-05, 14:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/160/135 Female 5'5''
BF:?
Progress: 77%

I just received a "Budokon" dvd. It is a combination of Yoga, Martial Arts and Meditation. I think it is pretty cool so far. I have only done it twice. I am thinking about getting something more with Yoga. I have also done Pilates and now I am really wonder exactly what the difference is between Yoga and Pilates except for some of the moves they both seem to test your strength along with a good amount of stretching.
I also do my fair share of other workouts like "Total Body Sculpt with Gilad" from FitTV and "Tae-Bo" and sometimes if something catches my interest on the FitTV channel I do that too! I try to mix up cardio along with the Pilates and Budokon.
Since I have started working out I am getting totally addicted!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-09-05, 23:34
Registered Member

Plan: don't be a greedy bastard
Stats: 243/214/180 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 46%

i tried it a couple of times but i wasn't flexible enough.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-05, 10:28

Plan: combination
Stats: 140/123/120 Female 5'7"
BF:24.2%
Progress: 85%

Quote:

Me too! I thought I had found THE exercise for me. Nice and slow and not all sweaty and energetic. First I had a hard time figuring out how to get my breathing right. I'm the kind of person who can't swim because I can't even coordinate my breathing with moving my arms. Then I noticed I couldn't even do the basic sitting positions because I can't get my right leg to lay down. Pretty bad when you can't even do beginning yoga

So whaddya do to get flexible enough to do beginning yoga?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-05, 12:13

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

I am a believer in Yoga. I started a couple years ago REALLY a beginner and not very flexible. I prefer to go to a gym or studio for the majority of my practice, then supplement at home with videos. If you want a very basic beginner yoga video for home try one from Yoga Zone or Seane Corn. Sean Corns is kinda long a drawn out, but it is fantastic in the detail she gives and she moves slowly enough (Her video is called Vinyasa Flow Yoga for beginners, I think). Rodney Yee is fab too but tends to move faster, so you can use his when you want more challenge!
Did I say I LOVE YOGA?
It is saving my life now that my dad has cancer again and my son and I have autoimmune diseases that challenge us. The stress reduction alone is tops, but the physical workout is incredible. You do ot have to be flexible, you have to be patient and gentle with yourself.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-05, 12:52

Quote:
you have to be patient and gentle with yourself.

Gee, how did you know that's what I need to work on! I have all the Yoga Zone dvds. They're wonderful! I just got discouraged on the first one (Introduction to Yoga with Alan Finger) because I was so sidetracked with trying to figure out why my leg wouldn't go down and how to adapt I couldn't concentrate on the poses. My inner thigh (hip flexor?) won't relax properly so I can sit crosslegged. Should I do the poses with my legs out in front instead? Should I quit doing yoga for the time being and work on opening up that joint? Should I give up yoga and try weight lifting? Would pilates be easier? What's on tv?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-11-05, 13:59

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

My yoga instuctor gives students who cannot cross leg sit to use props. You can sit on a folded towel or blanket under you sit bones area which bring your hips up and allows your knees to be lower. You don't have to do the moves perfectly, just slowly and carefully. Modification is the key. If you cannot do a position, get close as you can without feeling pain or stress. Theres no reaso to hurt yourself!
Like what I did early on, when we were practicing headstand preparation moves(what I was thinking I don't know). I hurt my neck so now I will never try that again because I messed my neck/back up. It doesn't hurt normally, but if I try that move the bingo I am in pain for 3 days. So be careful but don't give up the yoga. Just remeber, as in everything, some people take yoga to the extreme and this is not its intent or purpose.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 12:06

Thanks Shar! I think I need yoga as much for the mental discipline as the physical.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 05:32

Plan: food comb/atkins influenc
Stats: 185/161/140 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertebrate

Hi am just skimming around the excersise post and noticed this one. This comment made me laugh because the point of doing yoga is to increase flexibility. Maybe vertebrate you could try a less intensive style. There are lots out there.

From my experience I was very 'not' flexible until i was fortunate enough to share a house with a yogini (female yoga instructor) Anyway she used to go at it for 2 hours + a day and so one day I asked if I could do it with her. Once I got into it I too became flexible. I went from only being able to tough my shins to being able to bend over and place my palms flat on the ground.

I hadn't done it for ages and recently started up again and surprisingly it doesn't take too long to be able to get flexible.

Lastly I just want to share something from years ago when I was in my early 20's (many years ago actually )

I don't know how but I was talked into going to a nude beach. One of the women there really wowed me when she took her gear off. She didn't look too special clothed but naked I could see she was increadibly toned. Women notice things like celutite etc. This woman for her age (mid 30's) had a body that made me want to get dressed again. Her secret was Yoga!

Yoga is great for the body mind and soul because it helps internally massage the organs as well as pump oxygen and relax the mind. It's good stuff. I'm planning to make it part of my regime as I only just started my LC program 3 weeks ago so i'll let you know how I go.

Cheers
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-06, 06:48

Plan: My own.
Stats: 121/121/110 Female 5'3"
BF:21.4/21.4/19.5
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyRay
She didn't look too special clothed but naked I could see she was increadibly toned. Women notice things like celutite etc. This woman for her age (mid 30's) had a body that made me want to get dressed again. Her secret was Yoga!

Great testimonial. I couldn't go to a nude beach, even if I was my goal weight. I give you a lot of respect and enjoyed your story.

Signed,
Yoga Fan!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-06, 15:53

Plan: Lo-carb. IF 20/4. CKD
Stats: 195/145/155 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 125%

I like Suzanne Deason yoga home videos. Especially the one for weight loss. It feels SO good. And so gentle.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-30-06, 13:48
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

I have never been able do any of the so-called beginner dvd's I've spent so much money on. And they didn't show modifications for the totally inflexible beginner...in other words, me.

The other day I popped into the used book store to check out the exercise dvd's and I found one called "Yoga for Absolute Beginners." Since it was $3, I decided to take a chance on it. The teacher's name is Marlon something, I can't remember her last name.

I really liked it. I could actally do the poses, b/c she showed the absolute beginner modifications. I felt so warm while I was doing it, it was obvious that my body was getting a good workout...all those muscles working to keep you in the pose and you relaxing and trying to keep the breathing even. And I felt relaxed and loosened up when I was done! But still felt like I'd "done something." I liked it and I plan to rotate it into my workouts.

There are several 30-minute segments on the dvd. This is nice b/c I simply don't want to exercise more than 30 minutes per day. Every dvd I've ever tried was at least 45 minutes long (most of them 60+ minutes), and at this stage of my life, that's just too long.

I definitely recommend this dvd for the absolute beginner!

Last edited by ElleH : Mon, Oct-30-06 at 13:57.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Nov-10-06, 22:21

Plan: My own
Stats: 145/123/120 Female 5 feet, 7 inches
BF:
Progress:

Yoga is fantastic! Not only will it help you burn calories, tone up and build strength but a committed practice will change your entire perception of yourself. I've been practicing four days a week for nearly three years and my transformation, both physical and mental has been enormous.

My advice to you would be to explore a variety of styles (if that option is available to you) until you find the one you like. Some are slower paced than others. Talk to teachers and ask questions and try out different classes until you find your niche. If there's just one in your area then go for that one but still talk to your teacher and get to know them. A good relationship with your instructor is invaluable. They'll be able to guide you at your pace and skill level the more they know about you so definitely open up and ask questions. Your instructor will love you for it.

It's a wonderful practice. Absolutely fantastic and transformative. Go for it!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-15-06, 16:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 199/193/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 12%

I used to do a yoga/pilates combo video every morning. It's my first step to getting back into an exercise routine though, and I'm starting it again tonight. I love yoga. Not only does it help with your physical strength, mentally it helps centre you and balance you. I was in a great frame of mind when I was doing it and I'm going to do it again. BTW, I also have the "Yoga for Absolute Beginners" video and I love it too.